Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping UK TV to Canada...will it work?

Shipping UK TV to Canada...will it work?

Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:04 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping UK TV to Canada...will it work?

Originally Posted by mojovibe
Just as a matter of interest, the same type TVs are sold in just about every country these days. So the transformer they put in the TVs made for the North and South American continent, can be put in the same TV made for the rest of the world can't they?
They don't use transformers any more...

Its all switched mode these days...
Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

Snort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really nice

Originally Posted by mojovibe
Sorry about this folks but like one of the other posts say its turning into a IP Red Seal revision. Its a pity it can't be moved to an appropriate thread that deals with technical issues for trades people.

How much was your transformer? And did you buy it all complete or did you have to build it all up yourself?

The problem I have found when working with inductive loads is the increase in frequency tends to cause more leakage due to the hysteresis. And causes the load to pull more current due to the duty factor of the supply frequency, and run hotter than designed to. This is why I would always recommend the voltage and frequency type convertors when using inductive loads.

But you say that your appliances have worked ok, it just suprises me they don't run hotter. When I worked in the US some years ago, I brought my 110v power tools with me, and I found they run slightly hotter than they did in the UK. The voltage was actually about 105v at the ext lead so there wasn't a 10v increase in voltage. Speedwise I didn't really notice a difference, but however the motors are the universal type, so probably did run faster. The basic squirrel cage type are a different matter, they just run hotter but not faster due to the volts/turn ratio and increase in frequency.

I also have some refrigeration service machines made in North America that are dual voltage and frequency, but there is only a switch to change the input voltage. They also run hotter and slower due to the drop in frequency, but are designed to so. Another forum that I'm on for HVAC and refrigeration also mention they had the exact same machines imported from Europe, also in turn are dual voltage. They also say that they run hotter than the same machines made in North America.

I suppose the real test is to suck it and see, one thing is for sure. At least they wont go bang when you plug them in, they just won't work in the worst case scenario. Then you just simply seek further advice from this forum.
We bought 4 x 200W 1 x 500W and 1 x 1KW really good quality compared to the ones we bought 9 years ago, these have a built in UK 3 pin socket, Surge fuses for the 500W and less, RCD for the 1KW. whole bunch cost less than $150 with shipping and handling. We got them from http://www.voltageconverters.com/voltageguide.htm
they are very good

The ones we bought before had to have home made plug sockets that plugged into German style connectors on top of the transformer, and a plug to plug lead to hook it into the mains, the only good thing about them was we could use them the other way around to power our canadian appliances in the UK, I still have them but have installed them in vented boxes hard wired into UK wall type sockets that I brought with me for that purpose. I only use them for my screw driver chargers etc as they are only 200W
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:35 pm
Account Closed

mojovibe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeUK
They don't use transformers any more...

Its all switched mode these days...
I did actually wonder if they were the switched mode type, as everything else seems to be these days.