Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping timelines. Please advise

Shipping timelines. Please advise

Old Aug 17th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping timelines. Please advise

Hi Everyone,

Hope you can help. Has anyone with recent shipping experience had their goods delayed for any length of time due to the recent Montreal Port strikes.

I am asking because my stuff is due to sail out of Liverpool on 23rd August and is expected to arrive in Montreal Port on 9th September. We have been told they are currently dealing with a backlog of two weeks.

Due to when I can move into my rental house, I need my stuff to be late and I am kind of hoping the backlog is longer than this......sorry for those caught up in the backlog, who are desperate for their stuff to arrive

If mine arrives on time, it will have to go into storage for about a week, which will cost me $1300. This includes up to a months storage, but the cost is involved in decontainerising my stuff locally in Windsor Ontario.

What would you do? I have been advised by my shipping company to send it and it will probably work out....if not there is only approx £200 difference in storage here and storage there, but at least it would be in Canada for when I needed it.
Thanks guys / gals
lol
Stef
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping timelines. Please advise

Anybody able to answer? I know that most who have done this are probably asleep still....but need to keep my post up the list
lol
Stef
Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Gentle reminder - bumping is not allowed as per site rules.

This belongs in the main Canada forum (immigration is only for legal/visa related queries), so I'll move it and then hopefully you'll get more views.

Fingers crossed you find your answer soon.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry
Didn't know what bumping was?
Thanks
Stef
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Gentle reminder - bumping is not allowed as per site rules.

This belongs in the main Canada forum (immigration is only for legal/visa related queries), so I'll move it and then hopefully you'll get more views.

Fingers crossed you find your answer soon.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 9:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Sorry
Didn't know what bumping was?
Thanks
Stef
It just means posting solely for the purpose of 'bumping' a thread further up the page.

No probs though.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

They are packing our things as i write.
it sails from liverpool on thursday.
they say it should be with us in alberta on 12th sept

but who knows

jet
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:49 pm
Banned

How long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really nice

Hi Everyone,

Hope you can help. Has anyone with recent shipping experience had their goods delayed for any length of time due to the recent Montreal Port strikes.

I am asking because my stuff is due to sail out of Liverpool on 23rd August and is expected to arrive in Montreal Port on 9th September. We have been told they are currently dealing with a backlog of two weeks.

Due to when I can move into my rental house, I need my stuff to be late and I am kind of hoping the backlog is longer than this......sorry for those caught up in the backlog, who are desperate for their stuff to arrive

If mine arrives on time, it will have to go into storage for about a week, which will cost me $1300. This includes up to a months storage, but the cost is involved in decontainerising my stuff locally in Windsor Ontario.

What would you do? I have been advised by my shipping company to send it and it will probably work out....if not there is only approx £200 difference in storage here and storage there, but at least it would be in Canada for when I needed it.
Thanks guys / gals
lol
Stef
Have you thought about having your stuff delivered to a storage company instead of using the shippers space, I think it's a lot cheaper. I'm not sure wherabouts you're going to but I have some storage company details in the Newmarket area that I intend to use for personal and commercial goods.
10' x 10' space is about $25.00 per week, let me know if you need any further info.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

marimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nicemarimac is just really nice

Hi Everyone,

Thanks guys / gals
lol
Stef
Our stuff arrived end of June/beginning of July - I wasn't aware of a strike in Montreal, so I'm not sure if it was affected.

Our timelines were roughly like this (ours was for a part container to Toronto):

- Movers came May 20th, and we were told 8-12 weeks for a part container so we were figuring on moving in to somewhere August/end of Sept (staying with relatives until then)
- Arrived in Toronto a week later and found out that container was due to arrive around June 23. Cue mad panic as we have to start finding a place for July 1st. We found a great place but it wasn't available until Aug, so we resigned ourselves to paying for storage.
- In the end, our stuff did arrive around the end of June, then had to ship from Montreal to Hamilton - which took about a week, and then had to clear customs, so in the end it was available about mid-July. Storage was charged by the month even though it was less then that - it was about $260 for storage - they charged by the weight, rather then volume, and they charge for putting it into storage and then actually storing it.

The advantage of it sitting in storage in Canada is that it is at least here when you need it to be. Our friend's stuff (also a part container) got held up in Montreal for a number of weeks - but again, they were staying with relatives so it didn't matter too much to them.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 4:32 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

If your stuff hasn't shipped yet then by the time it gets to Montreal there shouldn't be a problem. I have cargo coming via Montreal that was shipped in July that was released yesterday and is on a truck to Newfoundland.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stef and Lins

We are already in Canada and have just instructed Robinsons to send our container to Alberta. This is the estimation given to us:

We have booked a 20' FCL shipping container to load at our Manchester Depot on Friday, August 20, 2010 08:00 AM.

Your goods have been booked to sail from Liverpool on board the vessel MSC GINA which is scheduled to depart on 25 August 10. We have been provided with an estimated date of arrival into the port of Calgary on 12 September 10. Please note the arrangements made are estimated dates and times and the shipping line has the right to amend the details at any time.

Hope this helps and goodluck with the move - we've been here just over 4 weeks.

Poppit
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:56 am
Just Joined

Mental Mavis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,

Our stuff was packed up on the 15th July and then sailed from Liverpool. It landed at Montreal and then took about five days to get across to Vancouver, where it was available on the 9th August.

This was pretty much what Anglo Pacific forecast, so no idea if there were any hold ups at all in Montreal, but either way, it all followed the initial estimates.

M.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 11:42 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone,

Thanks guys / gals
lol
Stef
Stef

The strike is now over, but, the rail lines are backed up from all the back log. This is what is slowing things down at the moment. I can keep you updated by PM if you want.

Who is the recieving agent for your goods? could you speak to them direct and see if they will do you a good deal on storage if need be. Or you could just try delay tactics, when they call you to arrange delivery put them off until it suits you - might work if you talk nicely to them
Old Aug 19th 2010, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

oakbayseals is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,
We are new to this. Our house contents got packed on the 23rd June. Sailing took place, we were told from Southampton or Porstmouth on the 12th July to go to Vancouver and an estimated date of arrival in Vancouver was 12th of August.
Then it gets transferred to Victoria (Vancouver Island) once there as we are living there.

Well, Robinson's did not deliver on their promise! They got their estimation wrong and costs us an additional GBP1,300 to ship the spill over into a shared container on top of the original 20foot container. The shared container took a different route and is now already in Victoria ahead of the main one.

It has not been a good experience for us. We were eventually told that our container left Liverpool and went to L.A. where it will reboard to Vancouver and the expected date of arrival here is now 26th of August! Robinsons never ever mentioned L.A. to us and said our container would go to the north of Canada then onto the rail to Vancouver, so it is all surprises for us... We still will not know until the container leaves LA and I certainly will not believe them until it does to rely on the dates.
Best of luck and no, I will not be recommending Robinsons for their poor service. To make matters worse despite our grumbles and emails, nobody has said sorry for their mistakes and for misinfoming us of the routes they use. We are particularly disappointed because we chose them due to the recommendations they received. The best people were the rep who came to our house and the packers. Customer service was appalling on the telephone and emails.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Poppit
Hi Stef and Lins

We are already in Canada and have just instructed Robinsons to send our container to Alberta. This is the estimation given to us:

We have booked a 20' FCL shipping container to load at our Manchester Depot on Friday, August 20, 2010 08:00 AM.

Your goods have been booked to sail from Liverpool on board the vessel MSC GINA which is scheduled to depart on 25 August 10. We have been provided with an estimated date of arrival into the port of Calgary on 12 September 10. Please note the arrangements made are estimated dates and times and the shipping line has the right to amend the details at any time.

Hope this helps and goodluck with the move - we've been here just over 4 weeks.

Poppit
Hi
Our stuff a 40' FCL is going on the same vessel MSC Gina out of Liverpool but we have been given the date as 23rd Aug and arriving Montreal 9th September....really confused now. I don't mind it going later as it would suit me to have delays. Do you think the removers make it up as they go along?
lol
Stef
Old Aug 20th 2010, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Stef

The strike is now over, but, the rail lines are backed up from all the back log. This is what is slowing things down at the moment. I can keep you updated by PM if you want.

Who is the recieving agent for your goods? could you speak to them direct and see if they will do you a good deal on storage if need be. Or you could just try delay tactics, when they call you to arrange delivery put them off until it suits you - might work if you talk nicely to them
Hi
Don't know who the receiving agents are at the moment, but because i have forgotten to ask that question and they have forgotten to tell me....I am now on it, so will speak to movers today. Movers have already asked about storage...so we will probably just have to suck it up if it arrives earlier than we can move into the rental. If you could PM me with any further news I would be grateful
Thanks.
lol
Stef

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.