Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping dog question

Shipping dog question

Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Shipping dog question

Originally Posted by daisychain
Hi Davie Mac

Do you know the size of the crates you used and the weight? I am trying to see if i can get my pooch excess baggage or if it will have to be cargo. He can afford to loose a couple of pounds but thats about it!! I did read if they go cargo they can stay with you until you board is that right?

Many thanks

DC
Hi Daisy,

We used the pet cargo range (EBay) very good and we still use the bottom half now as an extar bed for them as they split in 2.

I do know they were far too big for the dogs as we went OTT on them but they still made the weight OK.

We took off all the extras like the wheels just stuck them on a baggage trolley, Top box carrier thingy and put in some light weight Vet Bedding and a blanket and they were fine. Got an external water bottle for both which screw on to the front grill.

Dont know about the cargo Q, sorry we flew them excess baggage with AC and they let us keep the dogs with us inside Heathrow and outside for wee's right up to 45mins before the flight they were fantastic with them. The only upset person was the OH who cried as they were wheeled away to the Aircraft..

Dogit Pet Cargo - Model 600 76735 Dogit Pet Cargo - Model 700 76740 Dogit Pet Cargo - Model 800 76745 Dogit Pet Cargo - Model 900
Old Sep 21st 2010, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

As regards to cost, UK airlines are very expensive, I was quoted £1200 (1920 CAD) one way, London- Orlando for a medium size dog, from Paris it was 200 euros (266CAD). I guess it will be the same eastbound. May help checking out AirFrance. The size of the container makes a difference but quite rightly there are rules on a minimums with regard to the animal's welfare.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

DanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samjr400
Sorry if I am being thick and missing something here. Why did you not book your pet on the Canadian Affair flight yourself and not have to pay £600??
I am asking as I am in the process of organising this for myself at the moment.
Two tickets from London to Toronto Canadiian Affair £438
Two tickets from London to Toronto Canadiian Air £1476

So the difference is over £1000

There is no option to take a dog as excess baggage on Canadian Affair, but the tickets are so much cheaper that it's still cheaper to fly with them and pay for a courier.

Last edited by DanielM; Sep 21st 2010 at 5:44 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DanielM
Two tickets from London to Toronto Canadiian Affair £438
Two tickets from London to Toronto Canadiian Air £1476

So the difference is over £1000

There is no option to take a dog as excess baggage on Canadian Affair, but the tickets are so much cheaper that it's still cheaper to fly with them and pay for a courier.
I am being a pain I know! Could your pet not go as cargo - or did you not want them too? Ours will have to go as cargo I believe as she is 20lbs.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

I am being a pain I know! Could your pet not go as cargo - or did you not want them too? Ours will have to go as cargo I believe as she is 20lbs.
I do not know the rules from Canada but from Europe the maximum weight including crate for in cabin travel is 6kgs unless it is a guide dog.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

DanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond reputeDanielM has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian Affair do not allow animals to be taken as cargo unless it's througn an animal courier service.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:28 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian Affair do not allow animals to be taken as cargo unless it's througn an animal courier service.
is this new? - I bought my 2 biggies over via the cargo arm of CA in 2008 - they were same plane as us - cost me about 1000 gbp in all for 2 dogs, crates, vaccines etc.c . . .

I contacted Dave swift at TS Cargo . .
Dave Swift at Air T cargo - TS Clipper I think is there company name -
David:

[email protected] 01784 431831

we flew two dogs over to Vancouver in Dec - 1 x squat lab and 1 x dobie / ridge cross - approx 700 gbp
obv have to pay at Canadian end - approx $200 and get all the uk docs - approx 150 gbp oh and the crates!!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

20 pounds = 9.0718474 kilograms

Why would it have to fly cargo?

As previous posts.

If the Dog + crate = 32kg or less you can pay for it to go as excess baggage on the same flight as you.

Cost us 108GBP per dog

Anything over that it would have to go cargo.

The above is relevant to Air Canada.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
is this new? - I bought my 2 biggies over via the cargo arm of CA in 2008 - they were same plane as us - cost me about 1000 gbp in all for 2 dogs, crates, vaccines etc.c . . .

I contacted Dave swift at TS Cargo . .
Dave Swift at Air T cargo - TS Clipper I think is there company name -
David:

[email protected] 01784 431831

we flew two dogs over to Vancouver in Dec - 1 x squat lab and 1 x dobie / ridge cross - approx 700 gbp
obv have to pay at Canadian end - approx $200 and get all the uk docs - approx 150 gbp oh and the crates!!

From their website
"Canadian Affair DO NOT allow the carriage of live animals as cargo on Thomas Cook Airlines or Air Transat flights. "

You can't put the dog on as cargo yourself, but you can pay an animal courier to have the dog on a CA flight.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

daisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Hi Daisy,

We used the pet cargo range (EBay) very good and we still use the bottom half now as an extar bed for them as they split in 2.

I do know they were far too big for the dogs as we went OTT on them but they still made the weight OK.

We took off all the extras like the wheels just stuck them on a baggage trolley, Top box carrier thingy and put in some light weight Vet Bedding and a blanket and they were fine. Got an external water bottle for both which screw on to the front grill.

Dont know about the cargo Q, sorry we flew them excess baggage with AC and they let us keep the dogs with us inside Heathrow and outside for wee's right up to 45mins before the flight they were fantastic with them. The only upset person was the OH who cried as they were wheeled away to the Aircraft..

Dogit Pet Cargo - Model 600 http://www.hagen.com/img/dogs/products/76735.jpg 76735 Dogit Pet Cargo - Model 700 http://www.hagen.com/img/dogs/products/76740.jpg 76740 Dogit Pet Cargo - Model 800 http://www.hagen.com/img/dogs/products/76745.jpg 76745 Dogit Pet Cargo - Model 900

Many thanks for that Davie Mac, do you know how much your crates weighed and were they small or medium? Am trying to get him to go as excess baggage purely for the fact he will be able to stay with us right up until we board, like you stated and not the 4 hours in the crate at cargo before boarding! I will also be the one blubbing when he goes!! We will be flying him AC although it is dearer the posts on here have been very favourable towards the dog side with them!

Best wishes

DC

Best wishes
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

From their website
"Canadian Affair DO NOT allow the carriage of live animals as cargo on Thomas Cook Airlines or Air Transat flights. "

You can't put the dog on as cargo yourself, but you can pay an animal courier to have the dog on a CA flight.
Ah the penny drops!!!! I didnt realise with C-Affair you had to use a animal shipping company.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for that Davie Mac, do you know how much your crates weighed and were they small or medium? Am trying to get him to go as excess baggage purely for the fact he will be able to stay with us right up until we board, like you stated and not the 4 hours in the crate at cargo before boarding! I will also be the one blubbing when he goes!! We will be flying him AC although it is dearer the posts on here have been very favourable towards the dog side with them!

Best wishes

DC

Best wishes
Have you contacted AC or been on their website?
The info I have says "Pets are no longer allowed to be transported in the cabin or the baggage compartment on all Air Canada Flights. Air Canada Cargo) AC Live product) must be used"
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

traceyogden is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Shipping dog question

we shipped our border terrier with us to texas we used james cargo services and we flew by continental/delta, after connecting flight (delta)went a bit pearshaped 5 gate changes and as many hours delay, we arrived in houston.panic stricken thinking my dog would not be on the same plane, there she was in her wooden crate, looking fine but bemused! she sulked for days....as far as i know you have to take the crate with you good luck!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

daisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant future

Have you contacted AC or been on their website?
The info I have says "Pets are no longer allowed to be transported in the cabin or the baggage compartment on all Air Canada Flights. Air Canada Cargo) AC Live product) must be used"
If they go excess bagage I believe it just means they can be put on the plane last minute like a childs buggy in the hold? So i've been led to believe, rather than go to the cargo dept 4 hours before.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Best wishes

DC

Best wishes

I cant Im afraid. If you google them you will find the info and then you can match it to your breed.

What breed is he by the way and weight?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.