Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Shipping companies

Shipping companies

Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Shipping companies

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Hi Sue

Contacted our shippers here in NS regarding paperwork. Here is what they stated:

"As long as your goods are used personal effects, you shouldn’t need a valued list. The only time they want to see values is if there is to be duty paid (new items, alcohol, for example). Bring with you your inventory list, your passport, the B4E form you should have filled out upon arrival into Canada , and any immigration paperwork you may have".

We did not fill in any B4E as we were not asked for a 'goods to follow' list at Toronto airport. I emailed them back and they said:

"They usually stamp it at the airport but if you fill one out before you go to customs, that should speed up the process. We’ll just explain that you were not given one at the airport. It happens".

Here is a link to a thread (go to #6) containing a pdf of required forms:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=B4E

I think I will fill out a form based on our shipping inventory. Don't want to be held up on the day.
Are you personally picking up your stuff from shipping company? we had filled in our goods to follow forms but despite me asking several people at the airport they were not interested in them so hence not stamped. OUr container is due to arrive at the removal company this end tomorrow, we paid for a door to door service. so we will not see customs. Worried that we are going to have to go back over to the mainland to get the damn things stamped and re sent off to our removal company!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:13 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We have been told to present our documents before 2nd March at Canada Customs Halifax Office (shipment in storage but will be delivered to New Glasgow (170km north) on 6th March). The following documents are required:

Passport with visa or WP
Copy of inventory
Copy of employers letter (we are on WP)
manifest (will be given to us)

I am not sure if you will need to go back to the mainland or not. Perhaps paperwork can be electronically delivered. You should phone them tomorrow.

Good luck
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Do beware they are like a sweeping machine when they get going, so anything that you need to take with you when you fly, keep out of their way or it will be packed. We emptied one room and then put everything we didn't want packed in that room so there was no mistakes! We did make the mistake of leaving our address book on the armchair, that evening couldn't find it, too late its gone!

Good luck
Sue[/QUOTE]

I wish they had been this keen with us.
Unfortunately we were unable to have anyone in the house the day of packing. They left things behind, house is now sold and we are unable to get them

We also found that the boxes were badly labelled, box of video's were books.
Box of toys turned out to be a box of bedding etc, etc...

We told them we didn't want any garden tools bringing over, we noticed that the kid's tonker toys were missing and when we asked them they have told us they were in the box marked ' tools '. obviously

My wedding dress now looks like a dish cloth, yes, that screwed up thing in the box is my dress!!!

I am also not happy that once I had opened, checked & repacked to boxes I have 13 that are empty. I have not thrown anything away and I made sure to use packing materials, something they had not!!!

I was amazed we didn't have more breakages, just a few glasses...which were wrapped in a plastic carrier bag at the bottom of a box!
Also my favorite cd player, which was covered in mildrew remover.

To be fair we are in the process of complaining so we have to give them a chance to put things right....i will post the outcome.

The guys this end, were great, although a little notice would have been good....we got the call at 8.10am to go straight away to customs on a Thursday. On the friday we told them we wanted the container delivered to our rental, as the storage was too expensive.....we were told it may be delivered on Monday, but they would confirm that day....no call came. Monday 8.30 I get a call saying they were on their way and should be there for 9am

Luckily I had a feeling this would happen and was ready for them

Great guys though, so I don't consider that a problem.

My advise to all.........make sure you have a representative at your home when they are packing. Sadly we couldn't and have lived to regret it.

Linda
Attached Thumbnails Shipping companies-100_1904.jpg   Shipping companies-100_1907.jpg  
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:40 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

That's shocking

We were there when our house was packed up. The 2 guys were great and very efficient. The moved through the house at a rate of noughts and packed everything that wasn't put aside. They did however pack more than we were going to take but that was our fault. We should have moved them (actually I am glad the bookcase and several other items was 'accidently' packed by them).

Customs at this end was good too. We had an email from the UK saying when the ship was expected to dock. The following week the company at this end got in touch - we only had several days to reply. We then put our container in storage for about 5 weeks.

Hopefully tomorrow at customs will go smoothly even though we never had a 'goods to follow' list stamped at point of entry.

I'll keep you all posted on the condition of our goods when they finally get delivered in 3 weeks.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

jandavid is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi sorry but dont anything about Whites, has anyone used Fox International?
They are based around the country, we had rep from Preston as nearest. Also had Robinsons, Anglo Pacific and PSS all quotes were very similar around £4200 inc insurance for approx 900cuft, but the storage costs vary considerably. Fox are offering us free storage for 6 weeks then charging at 1/2 normal price as we will be shipping overseas = £20/wk inc vat & ins which is excellent. The insurance comes from the Marine ins for full shipping where as all others are charging for everything and only Robinsons offering free storage but price much higher after free period runs out. Anglo are the dearest all round. So, Fox are they good or bad??

Thanks
David
Old Feb 15th 2007, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

BC Hopefuls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The TWs
We're just in the process of getting quotes now too (London to Vancouver) so as soon as they come in I'll add them in here.

I think we're looking at a 40ft container which from what we've been told so far is around £5000.
If you get a confirmed quote for a 40' contatiner for around £5000 could you let me know who with please.

All the quotes I have had so far for 40' have been between £7000 & £9000!!!
thanks
Jill
Old Feb 15th 2007, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

chrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the roughchrisi65 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Jill, Foxes quoted me £5691 for a 40ft. maybe you could try them and put it to them that you werent really wanting to pay more than £5000. see what they say.
Our quote was: Sheffield to Vancouver island £3940 20ft and £5691 40ft.

Marine Transit Insurance can be arranged @ 2.5% of Declared Value of Goods, plus Insurance Premium Tax @ 5%.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BC Hopefuls
If you get a confirmed quote for a 40' contatiner for around £5000 could you let me know who with please.

All the quotes I have had so far for 40' have been between £7000 & £9000!!!
thanks
Jill
Hey Jill - those quotes are huge!!! Do you know how much Sq cu ft you have? We've got around 1400.

Here are our quotes so far - 2 more to come in:

Robinsons: 40ft container, packing and door to door transit - £5,475

Bishops: 40ft container, packing and door to door transit = £6,178

White & Company: 40ft container, packing and door to door transit AND 8 weeks free storage in UK = £5680

Hope that helps!

TWs
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

KennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The TWs
Hey Jill - those quotes are huge!!! Do you know how much Sq cu ft you have? We've got around 1400.

Here are our quotes so far - 2 more to come in:

Robinsons: 40ft container, packing and door to door transit - £5,475

Bishops: 40ft container, packing and door to door transit = £6,178

White & Company: 40ft container, packing and door to door transit AND 8 weeks free storage in UK = £5680

Hope that helps!

TWs
We've just had our quote renewed as its been a while and GB Liners are quoting £4409 to PG in BC. They said that there has been quite a hike in costs recently as some companies have merged and they can't play them off against each other anymore..... I thought this was high, but compared to the quotes on this thread.........
HTH,
Kenny
Old Feb 16th 2007, 1:11 pm
Scottish Canuck

OH went into Halifax yesterday and cleared our goods with customs. As we had no 'goods to follow' list stamped when we landed (or in fact had no goods to follow list at all but had shippers inventory), we quickly typed on blank paper a list of what was in the container (approx) with approx value typed alongside both in GBP and $CDN.

This girl said it was fine except he had declared that we had 1 bottle of malt whisky and 1 litre of vodka so we had to pay $15.04 duty.

Goods will be shipped to new house on 6th March
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
OH went into Halifax yesterday and cleared our goods with customs. As we had no 'goods to follow' list stamped when we landed (or in fact had no goods to follow list at all but had shippers inventory), we quickly typed on blank paper a list of what was in the container (approx) with approx value typed alongside both in GBP and $CDN.

This girl said it was fine except he had declared that we had 1 bottle of malt whisky and 1 litre of vodka so we had to pay $15.04 duty.

Goods will be shipped to new house on 6th March
We also did not have our goods to follow form stamped purely because no one in the airport at Vancouver was remotely interested
Our movers this end called husband yesterday to tell him that he has to meet the driver at the customs place in Victoria monday so that he can then continue on to deliver our stuff...yipeeeeeee
So really pleased that we do not have to go back over to the mainland to airport to get forms signed. Can't wait to get all my bits and bobs into our new house.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 8:59 am
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Linda P
Do beware they are like a sweeping machine when they get going, so anything that you need to take with you when you fly, keep out of their way or it will be packed. We emptied one room and then put everything we didn't want packed in that room so there was no mistakes! We did make the mistake of leaving our address book on the armchair, that evening couldn't find it, too late its gone!

Good luck
Sue

I wish they had been this keen with us.
Unfortunately we were unable to have anyone in the house the day of packing. They left things behind, house is now sold and we are unable to get them

We also found that the boxes were badly labelled, box of video's were books.
Box of toys turned out to be a box of bedding etc, etc...

We told them we didn't want any garden tools bringing over, we noticed that the kid's tonker toys were missing and when we asked them they have told us they were in the box marked ' tools '. obviously

My wedding dress now looks like a dish cloth, yes, that screwed up thing in the box is my dress!!!

I am also not happy that once I had opened, checked & repacked to boxes I have 13 that are empty. I have not thrown anything away and I made sure to use packing materials, something they had not!!!

I was amazed we didn't have more breakages, just a few glasses...which were wrapped in a plastic carrier bag at the bottom of a box!
Also my favorite cd player, which was covered in mildrew remover.

To be fair we are in the process of complaining so we have to give them a chance to put things right....i will post the outcome.

The guys this end, were great, although a little notice would have been good....we got the call at 8.10am to go straight away to customs on a Thursday. On the friday we told them we wanted the container delivered to our rental, as the storage was too expensive.....we were told it may be delivered on Monday, but they would confirm that day....no call came. Monday 8.30 I get a call saying they were on their way and should be there for 9am

Luckily I had a feeling this would happen and was ready for them

Great guys though, so I don't consider that a problem.

My advise to all.........make sure you have a representative at your home when they are packing. Sadly we couldn't and have lived to regret it.

Linda[/QUOTE]

Linda what company was this?

We have just got a quote from dorree bonner for a 20' container from london to toronto for £3884. We have got whites coming in on tuesday and will get Fox down shortly.

Steve
Old Feb 17th 2007, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Ok - all of our quotes are in!!!

We have quotes for both 20ft and 40ft containers because we currently have just over the total amount for a 20ft container - so we could just get rid of some stuff but we may be inheriting some other furniture so we wanted to know what the price would be if we had more!

For London - Vancouver including packing and door-to-door service but not including insurance:

Robinsons:
20ft container = £4,550
40ft container = £5,475

Bishops:
40ft container = £6,178
*They think we have 300sq/ft more than Robinsons.

White & Company
20ft container INCLUDING 8 weeks free storage in UK = £4000
40ft container INCLUDING 8 weeks free storage in UK = £5680

Doree Bonner
20ft container = £4,050

40ft container = £5,587

Anglo Pacific
20ft container = £4,198*
* Upon inspection of the quote we realised that they put some small print in that said they think we have 110sq ft more than would fit in a 20ft container and they would charge us £6/sq and then ship those belongings as part of a shared container at a later date. They never mentioned this to us it was only because I was trolling through the quotes to check for small print!

All in all the companies were all equally professional, although my advice would be to really check the list of belongings they send you because they missed things (Anglo Pacific missed 3 floor to ceiling bookshelves!!!).

We're probably going to go with Whites but storage is the make or break for us so it depends what their storage costs past 8 weeks.

Hope this helps!

Emily
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - resurrecting this thread again ...

Can anyone who has already moved over tell me what the actual shipping timing is likely to be ?

I have companies coming next week for quotes. So they should be able to tell me anyway - but I'm plotting my diary at the moment !

I want as little turn-around time as possible. I want to move out to the Calgary area on 30th/31st May - and hopefully I will already have a house.
If I want my goods to arrive almost immediately, give it a day or so, when should they have left the UK?
Basically, how many weeks will I be without my stuff and then I can weigh up whether those weeks should be at the UK end or the Canada end !!
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 3:46 pm
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

We were quoted from dorree bonner, 1 sailing to canada per week voyage time is approx. 2-3 weeks, whites said could be 6-8weeks. This was to toronto from london

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.