British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Shipping companies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/shipping-companies-424328/)

chrisi65 Feb 5th 2007 2:37 pm

Shipping companies

I have spoken to Whites removels and got a quote from them, they also offer 4 weeks free storage in uk... I would be grateful for feed back from anyone who has used them and also does anyone know what storage costs are in Vancouver island.

Cookie Feb 5th 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Shipping companies

Hi Chris, we too used White's for shipping.

I posted this in another thread so here's a copy:

We shipped our 20ft container from Aberdeen to Nova Scotia with 'White and Company'. It was packed up on 4th/5th Jan, taken to Grangemouth and shipped on 17th, arriving here on 26th Jan. Recieved a call last week and arranged for storage until 6th March (approx $450), then delivery, unpacking etc in New Glasgow (1.5 hours north of Halifax).

Total cost: 3461 GBP for shipping, including insurance @ 300 GBP approx (did not skimp).

Copy of waybill and inventory for customs arrived in the post last week too. I'll use that as my goods to follow list.

Happy with everything so far, and will report back once our goods are in our new home :D

Gezza Feb 5th 2007 5:34 pm

Try Team Relocation former Avelon. We used them twice. Very good. I didn't like dealing with PSS though.

crusheduk Feb 5th 2007 5:35 pm

£3,500 for shipping household goods.....that seems a bit steep.

Cookie Feb 5th 2007 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by crusheduk (Post 4366871)
£3,500 for shipping household goods.....that seems a bit steep.

Not really when the container is the 20ft (size of a garage). Remember, what you don't bring over you will have to replace. It's not as cheap as you think to start from scratch again.

Certain things are quite expensive eg beds and bedding. Replacing all that for a family of 4 could easily cost you $4000-$5000. Remember too that a lot of homes have rec/family rooms. We are buying new for our living room and putting our old UK bits n bobs in the family room. You also have to replace virtually all your electricals. :ohmy:

chrisi65 Feb 5th 2007 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do (Post 4366931)
Not really when the container is the 20ft (size of a garage). Remember, what you don't bring over you will have to replace. It's not as cheap as you think to start from scratch again.

Certain things are quite expensive eg beds and bedding. Replacing all that for a family of 4 could easily cost you $4000-$5000. Remember too that a lot of homes have rec/family rooms. We are buying new for our living room and putting our old UK bits n bobs in the family room. You also have to replace virtually all your electricals. :ohmy:

We have been quoted from £3900 to £4500 for a 20ft container fron Sheffield to Vancouver island plus insurance on top of that. We still cant decide what is the best route to take either ship stuff or buy new.

Almost Canadian Feb 5th 2007 7:11 pm

We used White & Co (20 ft sole container) and our stuff arrived last Wednesday (approx 4 weeks after leaving UK).

Whites were fantastic at the UK end and their agents in Calgary (Tippert Richardson) were just as good this end. Unpacked everything where we wanted it and took all boxes and packaging material with them. It took Whites 3 days to pack UK end and their agents just over 3 hours to unpack this end.

I would recommend both companies

HTH:D

chrisi65 Feb 5th 2007 7:25 pm

Can you explain the packing system.. ie Do you pack all you clothes etc yourself in cases, or do they come to your house as it is and pack all your stuff up. What is the process?

Cookie Feb 5th 2007 9:04 pm

We only had to pack our suitcases and other items we were hand carrying (eg external hard drive from PC to connect to new laptop). They pack everything else, including contents of drawers and cupboards. Think they have to do all the packing for insurance purposes.

If taking gardening tools and bicycles you have to make sure they are very clean. I wasn't going to take over my bowls, plates etc but they packed it when I wasn't looking and I am glad they did - something less for me to buy here.

If you are taking a 20ft container, fill it! :D

suecakes Feb 6th 2007 4:56 am

We used Whites, so far so good, impressed, very competitive on price and we were offered 8 weeks free storage in the UK (check that detail on your quote), we have been here 4 weeks and are now sending for our shipment, have been in contact with them via email, always efficient in sending a reply. They pack everything for you, including clothes, you just tell them whats going and it gets packed. Do beware they are like a sweeping machine when they get going, so anything that you need to take with you when you fly, keep out of their way or it will be packed. We emptied one room and then put everything we didn't want packed in that room so there was no mistakes! We did make the mistake of leaving our address book on the armchair, that evening couldn't find it, too late its gone!

Good luck
Sue:)

Matt UK Feb 6th 2007 6:56 am

Originally Posted by suecakes (Post 4368867)
We used Whites, so far so good, impressed, very competitive on price and we were offered 8 weeks free storage in the UK (check that detail on your quote), we have been here 4 weeks and are now sending for our shipment, have been in contact with them via email, always efficient in sending a reply. They pack everything for you, including clothes, you just tell them whats going and it gets packed. Do beware they are like a sweeping machine when they get going, so anything that you need to take with you when you fly, keep out of their way or it will be packed. We emptied one room and then put everything we didn't want packed in that room so there was no mistakes! We did make the mistake of leaving our address book on the armchair, that evening couldn't find it, too late its gone!

Good luck
Sue:)

We're just going through the process of quotes. Mainly from the four main players such as Brittania and Pickfords. They're ranging from £3700 to £4800 - all for a 20ft container packed by the removal company. And that's pretty much everything in our house except the appliances. It even includes the kids trampoline!! As Yes-Can-Do says, if there's room - fill it. There will be enough you will need to worry about without the added hassle of replacing things you could have taken anyway. Good luck.

The TWs Feb 6th 2007 10:02 am

We're just in the process of getting quotes now too (London to Vancouver) so as soon as they come in I'll add them in here.

I think we're looking at a 40ft container which from what we've been told so far is around £5000.

Kittykerr Feb 6th 2007 10:09 am

im starting to look into this subject also. however we will have very little to take. probably just a bike, few paintings, clothes, and a few other small things. im fairly sure all of it will come to less than the size of the back of a smallish van.
im not planning on taking any furniture at all. just personal belongings.

how much am i likely to pay for this?

mkmurrays Feb 6th 2007 10:12 am

We had a good experience with Team Relocation/Avalon. Their packing was fantastic. We ended up changing plans and applying for Canada instead of moving to Fort Lauderdale (long story), so they ended up unpacking for us in Milton Keynes too. Only one breakage - the glass in a picture, and they paid up sharpish to have this fixed. Nice people to deal with too - including the gang who came to pack. Professional outfit, will probably use them again when we head for BC.:)

Matt UK Feb 6th 2007 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Kittykerr (Post 4369628)
im starting to look into this subject also. however we will have very little to take. probably just a bike, few paintings, clothes, and a few other small things. im fairly sure all of it will come to less than the size of the back of a smallish van.
im not planning on taking any furniture at all. just personal belongings.

how much am i likely to pay for this?

Kittykerr - we were told that if we didn't have much to take you can opt for sharing a container - something the removal company arranges - and it is considerably cheaper than a 20ft or 40ft container, though they didn't elaborate. Might be worth asking about. Good luck.