British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Shall I quit? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/shall-i-quit-860070/)

Princess89 Jun 14th 2015 4:57 pm

Re: Shall I quit?

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 11674904)
Without getting melodramatic, nothing in life is certain, but many people don't have the chance to take a leap of faith. If you have the opportunity, why not take it and make it happen? You must have had something that motivated you to go down the very long and expensive route to PR in the first place. Don't loose momentum now!!

I try tell myself that very same thing everyday. I'm just trying to stay positive because I hate to admit it but I thought I'd find a job quite easily before going which isn't the case and it's fine just need to go with plan B I suppose.

beckiwoo Jun 14th 2015 5:56 pm

I'm surprised you didn't apply for the IEC visa first - that would have given you some experience working in Canada within your field.

Out of interest is the FSW only for people that are doing listed occupations as I thought it was anyone deemed a skilled worker?

ChrisBan Jun 14th 2015 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11674939)
I'm surprised you didn't apply for the IEC visa first - that would have given you some experience working in Canada within your field.

Out of interest is the FSW only for people that are doing listed occupations as I thought it was anyone deemed a skilled worker?

I would assume she applied last year when there was a list.

Princess89 Jun 14th 2015 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11674939)

I didn't bother with IEC because I didn't want to experience canada I know I want to go 100% it's more about the way I wanted to go (with a job) which is bothering me but I think il be ok, I have a place to stay too.
I can't say for sure about FSW now but when I did it it was a list of 50 occupations... However I know it has changed from Jan2015 not sure what is it like now :)

MillieF Jun 14th 2015 8:21 pm

Ah hah Princess, but you didn't tell us initially that you knew Toronto, and loved the place! Had you done so, I'm sure lots of us would have said 'throw caution to the wind'. You have got a foot in the door, you have a place to stay, and whilst you have no guarantee with regard to work, you are young enough to be able to find something that pays until a good job come long.

Go for it and good luck:thumbup:

beckiwoo Jun 15th 2015 5:38 am

Originally Posted by ChrisBan (Post 11674940)
I would assume she applied last year when there was a list.

Is there no list anymore then?

Princess89 Jun 15th 2015 7:48 am

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11675228)

I just checked. there is a still a list of occupations. It's very similar to what I did however it's electronic and the points are differernt. It is a stressful procedure and very expensive but worth it in my opinion :)

christmasoompa Jun 15th 2015 9:33 am

Originally Posted by beckiwoo (Post 11675228)

No, there's no list. Anybody in a 'skilled' occupation (i.e. anything NOC Level A, O or B) can apply, and the points score of 67 still applies to FSW as the first hurdle. Once you've checked to see if you score enough and qualify you can apply online, but then there's now a second points score called the Comprehensive Ranking System, and only those with the highest points scores will be picked (anything over about 450 as a very rough guide) and given an Invitation to Apply.

So it's open to many more people now that it has been in the past few years.

HTH.

Pizzawheel Jun 15th 2015 2:54 pm

You only have to do 2 years in every 5 to maintain PR, so you have up to 3 years to make your mind up- take some long holidays over here and come with your interview rags and resumes.

JamesM Jun 15th 2015 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Princess89 (Post 11674182)
Thank you for replying
Thing is, I also feel that I'm at the start of my career, I will be starting my CPA to become a chartered accountant by 01/07 so hopefully would lead into finding a good job there eventually. Maybe its wishful thinking...:(

Late to this discussion some what but if you are just starting your accounting qualifications then you'd be better off coming to Canada and commencing the local accounting qualification rather than arriving with something from elsewhere.

Sadly despite education here being completely dumbed down so people can live in their goldfish bowl they still expect new arrivals to hold the relevant Canadian certified pieces of paper.

Howefamily Jun 15th 2015 3:47 pm

Go for it! Dont do what I did and what till you are mid 30's with a husband to convince and two young children. We sold up and moved without jobs. The risk paid off but it would have affected way more than just me if it hadnt.
You have everything to gain and very little to lose. And at least you would know....

Good luck!

Juggernaut1064 Jun 15th 2015 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Princess89 (Post 11674914)
I try tell myself that very same thing everyday. I'm just trying to stay positive because I hate to admit it but I thought I'd find a job quite easily before going which isn't the case and it's fine just need to go with plan B I suppose.

If you have residency and nothing to hold you in the UK what are you waiting for ? There are no guarantees in life, if everything was 100% safe wouldn't life be boring ????
I disposed of everything i owned in the UK that wouldn't fit in a suitcase and holdall, I was the first over seas recruit for the company that offered me a job, and i didn't know anyone who had already done it or find any forums, really was a leap of faith, although i did have a job to come too i suppose that made it a little easier.
You'll have doubts, i did even at the airport waving goodbye to family but i knew in my heart i was doing the right thing and if you feel the same then you need to stop those doubts controlling you and book that plane ticket.
Even if it all goes completely wrong your young enough to start again !
LIFE IS AN ADVENTURE ! ;)

SchnookoLoly Jun 15th 2015 4:13 pm

+1 for making the move if it's what you want to do!

My husband was in a similar position, he didn't want to leave his very good banking job in the UK before knowing he had something to come to in Canada. I think he is in the minority where this worked, but this is what we did.

We booked a trip to Toronto for two weeks, and then about 5-6 weeks before the trip, he started contacting recruiters in Toronto saying that he had his Canadian PR (so no sponsorship required) and wanted to move to Toronto, and that he'd booked a two week trip where he would be available for interviews. Previous to this he had turned his CV into a Resume, and updated his LinkedIn, including changing his location to Toronto. He also used a Canadian address on his resume (my parents), and signed up for a phone service that redirected calls to his UK cell so that he could provide a Canadian phone number on his resume.

The recruiters then had some time to chat to him on the phone and organize some interviews for when he'd be in Toronto. He did 11 interviews with 2 banks in the first week we were there. (He'd done one phone interview with one of the banks a week or so before we went.)

So we went for those two weeks, he did a load of interviews, and left with a verbal job offer. It took them a few weeks to sort out particulars but once he had a written offer he resigned his job in the UK and started in Toronto about 6ish weeks later.

Now, most people are saying you do need to be in Canada to get a job... and probably 95% of the time that's true. I think my husband got a bit lucky, but he also worked hard at it, and we knew that if this didn't work we'd have to pick up and move.

He got his job through Thorek/Scott in Toronto, I'd recommend them. He was dealing with Michael Thorek and he was great.

Oink Jun 15th 2015 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Princess89 (Post 11675289)
It is a stressful procedure and very expensive but worth it in my opinion :)

Apart from wanting a change why would you say this?

Princess89 Jun 15th 2015 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11675790)
Apart from wanting a change why would you say this?

What do you mean? Why it's worth it?
if so, I'll list a few reasons
1) I LOVE the people there...most of the people I have met are so lovely
2) I have a lot of family there (aunts, uncles & cousins)
3) beautiful open and clean spaces (roads too although A LOT of construction)
4) the relaxed vibe I seem to sense when I've been there
5) to be honest feels like I belong there, and have done so for a very long time which is the main reason for me :p so any amount of money and stress would have been worth getting my PR.
6) I'm well travelled and although Barcelona is one of my favourite cities as a holiday Toronto has always stuck out for me- the only time I dont get homesick.

Please know that I absolutely LOVE London, it's my home and always will be. I just think that Toronto for me personally may be better for my future. Don't think I can even afford to live in London in the next 10 years. Too expensive/stressful