British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Shall I quit? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/shall-i-quit-860070/)

Princess89 Jun 13th 2015 11:04 am

Shall I quit?

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum, I gained my residency in April and have been living in London,UK all my life.
I have a great job here in the financial industry working for a rather large company but my heart is no longer in England. Its become too populated and the commute to zone1 is pretty ridiculous - feeling like a sardine in a tin!
I've been applying for jobs since April however no luck, I've been advised to pack up and leave without employment (quite risky for me).
I am 25 and not sure if this would be a wise move? please help! The reason why I would like to go ASAP is because I really do not want to move in the winter!
Thank you all!
Princess :starsmile:

pdarwin Jun 13th 2015 12:08 pm

Re: Shall I quit?

I can understand the desire to move somewhere new and exciting and take the risk of having no job when you arrive, even if you have a good job now. That's what I did and I was much older than you. Luckily it all worked out for us. Companies here will be less inclined to offer you employment if you are still resident in another country.
Remember though, in this day and age, having a good job is a rarity and may be worth keeping. At least for now.
The moving in winter thing is trivial, compared to the big picture of moving, so don't keep that as a priority factor.

Princess89 Jun 13th 2015 12:12 pm

Thank you for replying
Thing is, I also feel that I'm at the start of my career, I will be starting my CPA to become a chartered accountant by 01/07 so hopefully would lead into finding a good job there eventually. Maybe its wishful thinking...:(

Oink Jun 13th 2015 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Princess89 (Post 11674147)
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum, I gained my residency in April and have been living in London,UK all my life.
I have a great job here in the financial industry working for a rather large company but my heart is no longer in England. Its become too populated and the commute to zone1 is pretty ridiculous - feeling like a sardine in a tin!
I've been applying for jobs since April however no luck, I've been advised to pack up and leave without employment (quite risky for me).
I am 25 and not sure if this would be a wise move? please help! The reason why I would like to go ASAP is because I really do not want to move in the winter!
Thank you all!
Princess :starsmile:

If you were 65 it might be something to consider but at your age, with a decent job, stay in London. If you're feeling crowded in, rent a cottage in the countryside or seaside and get out of the city on weekends. Or take a leave of absence and go on a long holiday.

Shard Jun 13th 2015 2:29 pm

Go for it. You're 25 and time is on your side. Plan to be able to support yourself financially for 3-9 months and expect a signicant reduction in earnings (present/future) anywhere outside of Toronto.

Aviator Jun 13th 2015 2:48 pm

You need to ask yourself where you want to be. If you have residency and that may lapse, will you get another chance? It is a personal decision that nobody can answer for you.

Do you play it safe or take a chance?

Finding a job in Canada, without being in Canada, can be done, but it is not easy.

Oink Jun 13th 2015 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11674248)
Go for it. You're 25 and time is on your side. Plan to be able to support yourself financially for 3-9 months and expect a signicant reduction in earnings (present/future) anywhere outside of Toronto.

She's not talking about moving to NYC, Paris, Berlin, Barcelona or even LA, its Canada ffs. :zzz:

rivingtonpike Jun 13th 2015 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Princess89 (Post 11674182)
Thank you for replying
Thing is, I also feel that I'm at the start of my career, I will be starting my CPA to become a chartered accountant by 01/07 so hopefully would lead into finding a good job there eventually. Maybe its wishful thinking...:(

Not sure I understand this. You're just starting CPA and hoping to be qualified by July? It generally takes a little longer than that. What is it you're asking people? Whether you should move here or not?

Tirytory Jun 13th 2015 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 11674280)
Not sure I understand this. You're just starting CPA and hoping to be qualified by July? It generally takes a little longer than that. What is it you're asking people? Whether you should move here or not?

Mistype ... 2017?

MarkG Jun 13th 2015 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Princess89 (Post 11674147)

Save enough money to live on for a few months, then come over and look for work. I tried finding a job from the UK, and didn't even get a reply to my emails. I tried finding a job here, had an interview in two days, and started work a couple of weeks later.

In the worst case, wait until the spring if you don't want to be job-hunting in the winter. You'll still have four years to run up your two years residency to keep PR.

Worst thing that can happen is you spend all your money, have to go home, and may well get your old job back. At least you'll never regret not trying.

rivingtonpike Jun 13th 2015 5:11 pm

Out of interest, how and why did you apply for PR? Most people start the process with a strong desire to move to Canada. It's generally a very long and expensive road. It seems odd for a 25 year old with doubts about what you want to do and where, to go down this route. If you're not sure you want to live here, why pick Canada in the first place?
Just curious....

jandro Jun 13th 2015 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11674197)
If you were 65 it might be something to consider but at your age, with a decent job, stay in London. If you're feeling crowded in, rent a cottage in the countryside or seaside and get out of the city on weekends. Or take a leave of absence and go on a long holiday.

I tend to agree. Stay, save a shedload of money, pay your mortgage, and in 10 years you'll have more choices. Coming here with no job is risky. Even if you do find something job security and benefits are typically not as good. It would be much harder to find a job with similar pay and benefits as in London. I was unemployed for many months between jobs. Looking at mountains on the way to a shitty job isn't worth it. You might want to put up with the London Underground a little longer.

scootb Jun 13th 2015 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 11674255)
You need to ask yourself where you want to be. If you have residency and that may lapse, will you get another chance? It is a personal decision that nobody can answer for you.

Do you play it safe or take a chance?

Finding a job in Canada, without being in Canada, can be done, but it is not easy.

This post sums it up!
I took the chance with my missus,3 daughters,and our dog.
Things have worked out really well for us,we are one of the success stories,for others it hasn't been so rosy.

MarkG Jun 13th 2015 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by jandro (Post 11674357)
Coming here with no job is risky.

But many of us did it. Quite possibly most. It's much harder to do at forty-five than twenty-five, when you still have plenty of time to start over.

Shard Jun 13th 2015 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by MarkG (Post 11674367)
But many of us did it. Quite possibly most. It's much harder to do at forty-five than twenty-five, when you still have plenty of time to start over.

:goodpost:

25-35 is a lifetime from what I can remember.