Shall I quit?

Old Jun 13th 2015, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Princess89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shall I quit?

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum, I gained my residency in April and have been living in London,UK all my life.
I have a great job here in the financial industry working for a rather large company but my heart is no longer in England. Its become too populated and the commute to zone1 is pretty ridiculous - feeling like a sardine in a tin!
I've been applying for jobs since April however no luck, I've been advised to pack up and leave without employment (quite risky for me).
I am 25 and not sure if this would be a wise move? please help! The reason why I would like to go ASAP is because I really do not want to move in the winter!
Thank you all!
Princess
Old Jun 13th 2015, 12:08 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shall I quit?

I can understand the desire to move somewhere new and exciting and take the risk of having no job when you arrive, even if you have a good job now. That's what I did and I was much older than you. Luckily it all worked out for us. Companies here will be less inclined to offer you employment if you are still resident in another country.
Remember though, in this day and age, having a good job is a rarity and may be worth keeping. At least for now.
The moving in winter thing is trivial, compared to the big picture of moving, so don't keep that as a priority factor.

Last edited by pdarwin; Jun 13th 2015 at 12:11 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Princess89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for replying
Thing is, I also feel that I'm at the start of my career, I will be starting my CPA to become a chartered accountant by 01/07 so hopefully would lead into finding a good job there eventually. Maybe its wishful thinking...
Old Jun 13th 2015, 12:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Princess89
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum, I gained my residency in April and have been living in London,UK all my life.
I have a great job here in the financial industry working for a rather large company but my heart is no longer in England. Its become too populated and the commute to zone1 is pretty ridiculous - feeling like a sardine in a tin!
I've been applying for jobs since April however no luck, I've been advised to pack up and leave without employment (quite risky for me).
I am 25 and not sure if this would be a wise move? please help! The reason why I would like to go ASAP is because I really do not want to move in the winter!
Thank you all!
Princess

If you were 65 it might be something to consider but at your age, with a decent job, stay in London. If you're feeling crowded in, rent a cottage in the countryside or seaside and get out of the city on weekends. Or take a leave of absence and go on a long holiday.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 2:29 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it. You're 25 and time is on your side. Plan to be able to support yourself financially for 3-9 months and expect a signicant reduction in earnings (present/future) anywhere outside of Toronto.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 2:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

You need to ask yourself where you want to be. If you have residency and that may lapse, will you get another chance? It is a personal decision that nobody can answer for you.

Do you play it safe or take a chance?

Finding a job in Canada, without being in Canada, can be done, but it is not easy.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 3:07 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Go for it. You're 25 and time is on your side. Plan to be able to support yourself financially for 3-9 months and expect a signicant reduction in earnings (present/future) anywhere outside of Toronto.
She's not talking about moving to NYC, Paris, Berlin, Barcelona or even LA, its Canada ffs.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 3:33 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for replying
Thing is, I also feel that I'm at the start of my career, I will be starting my CPA to become a chartered accountant by 01/07 so hopefully would lead into finding a good job there eventually. Maybe its wishful thinking...
Not sure I understand this. You're just starting CPA and hoping to be qualified by July? It generally takes a little longer than that. What is it you're asking people? Whether you should move here or not?
Old Jun 13th 2015, 3:55 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Not sure I understand this. You're just starting CPA and hoping to be qualified by July? It generally takes a little longer than that. What is it you're asking people? Whether you should move here or not?
Mistype ... 2017?
Old Jun 13th 2015, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Save enough money to live on for a few months, then come over and look for work. I tried finding a job from the UK, and didn't even get a reply to my emails. I tried finding a job here, had an interview in two days, and started work a couple of weeks later.

In the worst case, wait until the spring if you don't want to be job-hunting in the winter. You'll still have four years to run up your two years residency to keep PR.

Worst thing that can happen is you spend all your money, have to go home, and may well get your old job back. At least you'll never regret not trying.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 5:11 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, how and why did you apply for PR? Most people start the process with a strong desire to move to Canada. It's generally a very long and expensive road. It seems odd for a 25 year old with doubts about what you want to do and where, to go down this route. If you're not sure you want to live here, why pick Canada in the first place?
Just curious....
Old Jun 13th 2015, 6:37 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Oink
If you were 65 it might be something to consider but at your age, with a decent job, stay in London. If you're feeling crowded in, rent a cottage in the countryside or seaside and get out of the city on weekends. Or take a leave of absence and go on a long holiday.
I tend to agree. Stay, save a shedload of money, pay your mortgage, and in 10 years you'll have more choices. Coming here with no job is risky. Even if you do find something job security and benefits are typically not as good. It would be much harder to find a job with similar pay and benefits as in London. I was unemployed for many months between jobs. Looking at mountains on the way to a shitty job isn't worth it. You might want to put up with the London Underground a little longer.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
You need to ask yourself where you want to be. If you have residency and that may lapse, will you get another chance? It is a personal decision that nobody can answer for you.

Do you play it safe or take a chance?

Finding a job in Canada, without being in Canada, can be done, but it is not easy.
This post sums it up!
I took the chance with my missus,3 daughters,and our dog.
Things have worked out really well for us,we are one of the success stories,for others it hasn't been so rosy.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
Coming here with no job is risky.
But many of us did it. Quite possibly most. It's much harder to do at forty-five than twenty-five, when you still have plenty of time to start over.
Old Jun 13th 2015, 7:22 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
But many of us did it. Quite possibly most. It's much harder to do at forty-five than twenty-five, when you still have plenty of time to start over.

25-35 is a lifetime from what I can remember.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.