Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Severing ties with the uk

Severing ties with the uk

Old Jan 26th 2018, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Kayahead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Severing ties with the uk

Hi, I am a dual citizen (UK/Canada) and I've recently made the leap to sell my London flat and permanently move to Canada. Does anyone have any advice in how I should go about severing my ties to the UK and be completely considered a non UK resident for tax purposes? Other than the acquiring property in Canada and being physically resident for x number of days, is there anything I should focus on? Also, I am separated, not divorced, from my husband, who still lives in London.

Thanks for any input on this,
Old Jan 26th 2018, 8:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Severing ties with the uk

Originally Posted by Kayahead
Hi, I am a dual citizen (UK/Canada) and I've recently made the leap to sell my London flat and permanently move to Canada. Does anyone have any advice in how I should go about severing my ties to the UK and be completely considered a non UK resident for tax purposes? Other than the acquiring property in Canada and being physically resident for x number of days, is there anything I should focus on? Also, I am separated, not divorced, from my husband, who still lives in London.

Thanks for any input on this,
Hi, welcome to BE.

Simply fill in a P85 form - https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk

HTH.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 11:55 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kayahead
how I should go about severing my ties to the UK and be completely considered a non UK resident for tax purposes?
Not sure if you mean literally sever ties and be non resident or if you just mean doing enough to satisfy non residency.

For example there me some future State Pension (with the possibility of making up a shortfall) that you've paid in for and might not want to miss out on.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 12:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

As advised just complete Form P85 to inform HMRC that you will be leaving the UK. They will adjust your tax records accordingly. You'll also probably receive a rebate.
Old Jan 27th 2018, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Kayahead is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice. I will send that form in right away