Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Severe weather warning!!

Severe weather warning!!

Old Jul 10th 2006, 3:05 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Severe weather warning!!

Y'know I was going on about the size of hailstones?

Well they just stopped all programming to issue a severe weather warning of thunderstorms and possible tornados in the Milo area, moving towards Brooks, to the SE of Calgary. They are warning of hail to the size of 30-60mm!!! and issuing instructions about staying away from windows and outside walls if the storm hits! :scared:
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:00 am
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Severe weather warning!!

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Y'know I was going on about the size of hailstones?

Well they just stopped all programming to issue a severe weather warning of thunderstorms and possible tornados in the Milo area, moving towards Brooks, to the SE of Calgary. They are warning of hail to the size of 30-60mm!!! and issuing instructions about staying away from windows and outside walls if the storm hits! :scared:
:scared: that hail is going to sting if you're caught out in it :scared: just out of interest as we're hoping (one day..) to settle in or near Calgary, do you have alot of extreme weather ?
Old Jul 10th 2006, 12:58 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

We've only been here since September.

We haven't really had any "extreme weather" by Canadian standards. It snowed a bit, but not as much as usual apparently. Temperatures got down to the -mid 20's a couple of weeks only. We didn't have the predicted "Spring dump" that usually comes in May. We've been having some really warm weather recently but that brings a danger of afternoon/evening thunderstorms, like in the UK.

Weather in Calgary is "mountain weather", very changeable and unpredictable. It makes us laugh that they update the weather forecast every ten minutes, and still get it wrong!

The severe storms and tornados are likely to miss the city and seem to occur on the prairies to the south, east and north, I think.

Someone who's been here longer will tell you more, maybe.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 2:09 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Blimey, you sure are getting a bucketful of stuff down there aren't you.

When we were driving back from Salmon Arm to Revelstoke on our hols last week, we drove through an amazing storm.............immense winds, thunder and lightening like youve never seen before and torrential rain. It was fab to see the constant flashes of lightening that lit up the mountains.
When we got back to Revelstoke, trees were down, the power was out, BUT the roads were dry as a bone. Apparently a freak wind had just ripped through the town. Thankfully the log cabin we were staying in was still intact!

Last edited by R2D2; Jul 10th 2006 at 2:16 pm. Reason: can't spell for toffee
Old Jul 10th 2006, 2:18 pm
little snowy owl

The news this morning reported tennis-ball sized hailstones where the storm hit .... didn't come near us though ..... and a tornado formed near Red Deer, but no reports of any serious damage, thankfully.

Exciting stuff.

My mate at Bowden, south of Red deer, has a "Tornado kit" made up ready in her basement. They used to live in Bogota, Colombia, and it was labelled "Earthquake kit" while they were there! It's good to be prepared!
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wonderwoman
:scared: that hail is going to sting if you're caught out in it :scared: just out of interest as we're hoping (one day..) to settle in or near Calgary, do you have alot of extreme weather ?
Yes it did! I have a 1" diameter bruise on my thigh from a golfball sized hailstone yesterday! My poor daughter and dog were out in it - had to go get them in the van, she took cover crouching behind the mail boxes...lol
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

The news this morning reported tennis-ball sized hailstones where the storm hit
Phew, wouldn't want to be out in the car in that - imagine the bodywork damage!!
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishB
Phew, wouldn't want to be out in the car in that - imagine the bodywork damage!!
I met a guy on a plane, maybe over Nebraska, who was a storm chaser; he had a vacuum machine for getting dents out of cars and would set up a tent in a parking lot after a storm and vacuum one car after the next all day. He went all over the mid-west following hail storms and sucking paintwork.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I met a guy on a plane, maybe over Nebraska, who was a storm chaser; he had a vacuum machine for getting dents out of cars and would set up a tent in a parking lot after a storm and vacuum one car after the next all day. He went all over the mid-west following hail storms and sucking paintwork.
Don't even want to imagine what that would do to the paintwork! especially if it's anyting like the crappy paintjob on my Jeep! Just breathe on it and it chips off!!
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

During the storm last night (all taken within minutes of each other).
Attached Thumbnails Severe weather warning!!-p1040541.jpg   Severe weather warning!!-p1040547.jpg   Severe weather warning!!-p1040598.jpg  
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:23 pm
Will work for shoes.....

wonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputewonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
Yes it did! I have a 1" diameter bruise on my thigh from a golfball sized hailstone yesterday! My poor daughter and dog were out in it - had to go get them in the van, she took cover crouching behind the mail boxes...lol
Ouch !! Your poor daughter and pooch, i would have hated to have been caught out in that, it would certainly have been something to see though (from the comfort of a house!! )
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:28 pm
Will work for shoes.....

We've only been here since September.

We haven't really had any "extreme weather" by Canadian standards. It snowed a bit, but not as much as usual apparently. Temperatures got down to the -mid 20's a couple of weeks only. We didn't have the predicted "Spring dump" that usually comes in May. We've been having some really warm weather recently but that brings a danger of afternoon/evening thunderstorms, like in the UK.

Weather in Calgary is "mountain weather", very changeable and unpredictable. It makes us laugh that they update the weather forecast every ten minutes, and still get it wrong!The severe storms and tornados are likely to miss the city and seem to occur on the prairies to the south, east and north, I think.

Someone who's been here longer will tell you more, maybe.
Well at least the weather will keep me on my toes !! the changable weather doesn't worry me to much, i just wonder how i'll fair with the minus temps !
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:11 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

And just to give you all a site to look on

Weater Warnings Looks Like Toronto and se Alberta getting Thunderstorms today
Old Jul 11th 2006, 12:55 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Calgal
During the storm last night (all taken within minutes of each other).
WOW! Awesome!

I have to say the last couple of afternoons storms have been a factor in deciding to move to Calgary! I absolutely forgot about how much I love them. They give a serious high!
Old Jul 11th 2006, 1:34 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

It was 37 degrees here the otherday then a storm hit in about 5 mins complete with hail stones!! How can it be really hot then hailing the next min? It soon passed and was back to the same heat again, cool, but very confusing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.