Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Settling in...

Settling in...

Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice
Default Re: Settling in...

Originally Posted by wizzard
At least you speak English though, there may be people in your classes for whom English is a 2nd language and so will be feeling even more nervous about public speaking. Where are you studying?

I dunno about the accent. I'm 25 and have been visiting Canada since I was 19 to visit my (now) wife and have lived here for a year and a half and I don't really notice much change in my accent. Perhaps I will notice something when I go back to visit my family in England at Christmas.

Drew
I'm going to the University of Regina, I'm aware its probably not the most multicultral University in Canada though...eh?
Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:34 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wizzard
At least you speak English though, there may be people in your classes for whom English is a 2nd language and so will be feeling even more nervous about public speaking. Where are you studying?

I dunno about the accent. I'm 25 and have been visiting Canada since I was 19 to visit my (now) wife and have lived here for a year and a half and I don't really notice much change in my accent. Perhaps I will notice something when I go back to visit my family in England at Christmas.

Drew
I still have a very strong South London accent after nearly nine years here and have been through University here too. Got used to public speaking...by speaking slower than I ever thought possible and not bristling every time someone says "Pardon me?" when they know perfectly well what I said. Every time I get corrected, I correct back because language is there to evolve. If I want to "ring" someone instead of "call" them, I will. People soon shut up.

Seriously, my accent only becomes an issue occasionally. It is usually because I speak too fast or use a word or saying they have never heard of here. I have had to modify my written style to make it less formal at work, but knowing how to read and write properly was a gift at University. All my assignments were one shot wonders. You will be just fine.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:54 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Whit aboot us Scots !!!!!!!

They may think that our relatives over Hadrians wall speak fast, wait till you hear a Glaswegian in full flow. They have no chance !!!!

Obviously coming from Glasgow, my accent is, MMMMMMM Glaswegian of course.

Have any of you came across a broad Glaswegian accent in Canada. Are people from Glasgow generally liked, and how do the Canadians favour us hairy arsed, spear chucking, kilt wearing, beat the English back over the wall Scots ( Do not take offence guys, its meant as a joke ).

Glaswegian I expect a good reply from you, coming from the same motherland.

Eddie
Old Nov 8th 2004, 12:43 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voyager970

They may think that our relatives over Hadrians wall speak fast, wait till you hear a Glaswegian in full flow. They have no chance !!!!

Have any of you came across a broad Glaswegian accent in Canada. Are people from Glasgow generally liked, and how do the Canadians favour us hairy arsed, spear chucking, kilt wearing, beat the English back over the wall Scots ( Do not take offence guys, its meant as a joke ).

Eddie
They love the Scots here...really! I live with one and my Dad was born in Easterhouse (yeah OK, know all the jokes).
Old Nov 8th 2004, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

Eddie
Well, speaking as a non hairy arsed Glaswegian ( , I have had no problem being understood etc. although my accent isn't as broad as it used to be. I have met quite a few scots over here who have lived here for the last twenty odd years etc. and have settled in well.

Some folks don't distinguish the difference between a Scottish or an English accent or Scotland and England. My mum was introduced to a group of people as someone from Scotland in England!!! That wouldn't have gone down too well with some of my Scottish friends! I don't mind - I lived in Southern England for quite a while and my kids are English so don't have a problem with the Scottish/English mix up but I know some of my friends would get really uptight about it .

Alot of people are really fascinated with the different accent and seem to love the fact that I'm from Scotland as quite a few of them have Scottish ancestors etc.

With Tom being Irish, myself Scottish and the kids English, they end up looking a bit once we've explained it!

Brodel: I'm sure it will work out really well for you. As others have said, I think University is a bit of a melting pot and will be a great place to fit in and be accepted for who you are no matter where you're from.

Chris
Old Nov 8th 2004, 1:40 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Tom Masters
My mum was introduced to a group of people as someone from Scotland in England!!!
We met someone who said his father was from "Wales in England". There is a basic lack of understanding of the UK, GB, Scotland, England, Ireland (any bit) and Wales. The UK, GB and England are used interchangably.

Mrs G

Old Nov 8th 2004, 4:36 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
We met someone who said his father was from "Wales in England". There is a basic lack of understanding of the UK, GB, Scotland, England, Ireland (any bit) and Wales. The UK, GB and England are used interchangably.

Mrs G
lol yes. I was in Tim Hortons, talking with my friend who I'd met at college in Cardiff, (she was from West Wales), when an elderly gentleman inquired excitedly if those were "English" accents he could hear. I had to stifle a laugh at Sian's outraged expression as I explained that yes, well, ONE was.....

It seemed to go fairly well over his head however.......he just wanted to know our opinion about whether Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein were really jointly responsible for Sept 11 as the Americans claimed !!

Morw
Old Nov 8th 2004, 4:46 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Have any of you came across a broad Glaswegian accent in Canada.
Yes… and it was one of the funniest moments I’ve had in Canada..

To put this in perspective I used to do a lot of work in the Tenents brewery in Glasgow so I understand the dialect well…

We were in a rural part of Nova Scotia in a hotel lobby with a sign on the wall saying “Traditional Scottish hospitality�.. and the lady behind that desk had what could loosely be called a mild Scottish accents of sorts with a few other members of staff… standing in front of her asking directions is a little lady from Glasgow with a really strong accent..
and they couldn’t understand a single word she was saying.. I know I should of helped but I had to go outside and then I just rolled with laughter…
so much for “authentic Scottishness� in Nova Scotia…
Old Nov 8th 2004, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
so much for “authentic Scottishness� in Nova Scotia…
Will people from, let's say Aberdeen understand the glaswegian accent/dialect?
Old Nov 8th 2004, 5:16 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Toontje
Will people from, let's say Aberdeen understand the glaswegian accent/dialect?
I doubt it ... people in Edinburgh don't.

UK accents are funny ... different parts of the same city can have a different accent.

Old Nov 8th 2004, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

So, what you're saying is that you really don't understand each other, like the other one was speaking chinese?
Old Nov 8th 2004, 5:37 pm
Glaswegian

So, what you're saying is that you really don't understand each other, like the other one was speaking chinese?
Pretty much ... I lived in Leicester for 15 years ... people a whole 40 miles away in Birmingham spoke Brummie, which coule be almost incomprehensible ... Nottingham and Derby which were slightly closer had their own accents too ... even some of their own words.

Anyone out there from the midlands who knows what a twitchel is?

Old Nov 8th 2004, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Anyone out there from the midlands who knows what a twitchel is?
Midlands.....Lowlands......Netherlands......
I know, I know, I know!
Twitchel = Northern English term for a short footpath or side entrance
Old Nov 8th 2004, 5:50 pm
Glaswegian

Midlands.....Lowlands......Netherlands......
I know, I know, I know!
Twitchel = Northern English term for a short footpath or side entrance
The midlands isn't quite northern, but you got the right answer ... it's a term I've only heard used in Loughborough in Leicestershire.

Old Nov 8th 2004, 6:08 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in nottingham and the term "Twitchel" was used to refer to a short footpath that had often had high sided fences or hedges

often a path that ran down at the bottom of gardens that allowed peopel to get form one row of houses to the other row which backed on to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.