Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Settling in...

Settling in...

Old Nov 8th 2004, 8:06 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: Settling in...

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I used to live in nottingham and the term "Twitchel" was used to refer to a short footpath that had often had high sided fences or hedges

often a path that ran down at the bottom of gardens that allowed peopel to get form one row of houses to the other row which backed on to them.
Makes sense why they would use it in Loughborough ... I always got the impression they'd rather be part of Notts

Anyway ... it illustrated the point that communities that are within spitting distance in Canadian terms can have a different dialect in the UK.

Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:16 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
Will people from, let's say Aberdeen understand the glaswegian accent/dialect?
Toontje

The Eberdeen accent is a dialect all of its own. I do not understand the way they speak. The Glaswegian accent is a unique language of its own.

I lived in Birmingham for 5 years, before the days of kids, and even though I had to slow my accent down for the brummies to have any hope of understanding me, it only took a short trip home to Glasgow and I was back to square one. No one could understand anything I was saying, it was brill when you were speaking to your gaffers, they did not have a clue, calling them all the w**ks of the day and some more choice words.

My wifes aunt and uncle have been in Vancouver for around 50 years now. they still have a good twang of Scottishness in their accent. They have lost a good amount of it but you can still tell where they originally came from.

I am very broad Glaswegian, coming from the ghettos of the south side ( Only kidding about the ghettos ). I have travelled all over the UK and lived in a number of areas around the UK, but my accent is still as broad as it ever was. I always worry that the language difference may be a negative barrier when we all get the chance to finally get to Canada.

Eddie
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

xunzi will become famous soon enough

I get made fun of for the way I say certain words - like route and can't. I stand my ground and have found plenty of reasons why I'm pronouncing them correctly. It's all in good humour.

My dry sense of humour is greatly appreciated too...
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:32 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know what a twitchel is...

More importantly, does anyone know what a guinnell is???
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:44 am
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

MikeUk, your description of a twitchel, is what I'd call a 'snicket'.

My family spent some time in Norfolk, where they have great local words, like Hodneydod!

Simon

Last edited by SirTainly; Nov 9th 2004 at 11:49 am.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:46 am
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
Yes I know what a twitchel is...

More importantly, does anyone know what a guinnell is???
Much like a snicket or a twitchel
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:16 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SirTainly
In Yorkshire, a snicket is wooded overgrown land...
Old Nov 9th 2004, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Higgy is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Voyager970]Toontje

The Eberdeen accent is a dialect all of its own. I do not understand the way they speak. The Glaswegian accent is a unique language of its own.

here is a link to a local Glasgow and Edinburgh radio station. They do wind up phone calls as pranks on people. On it you can here various accents that the presenter does, one being an Aberdeen lorry (truck) driver. They are soooo funny sometimes. Sometimes not lol. Have a listen
Old Nov 9th 2004, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

be better if i put the flippin link on wouldnt it !!!

http://www.realradiofm.com/real_taster.asp

[QUOTE=Higgy]
Originally Posted by Voyager970
Toontje

here is a link to a local Glasgow and Edinburgh radio station. They do wind up phone calls as pranks on people. On it you can here various accents that the presenter does, one being an Aberdeen lorry (truck) driver. They are soooo funny sometimes. Sometimes not lol. Have a listen
Old Nov 9th 2004, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

also look under the more shows drop down
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:49 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Higgy
be better if i put the flippin link on wouldnt it !!!

http://www.realradiofm.com/real_taster.asp
Higgy just had a listen

BRILLAINT !!!!

Laughed me heed aff at the Eberdeen accent, forgot how funny this accent is

The fish one was brill and so was the nut one

Keep them coming

Eddie
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:55 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by SirTainly

Down 'er in deepest darkest devon, we call it a..
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

>>

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
PATH!
Old Nov 10th 2004, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Higgy just had a listen

BRILLAINT !!!!

Laughed me heed aff at the Eberdeen accent, forgot how funny this accent is

The fish one was brill and so was the nut one

Keep them coming

Eddie

He does his show in the morning. His new windups are on at 8.15am aprox on 100.3fm if you fancy a listen. you could prob listen live on the internet too if you are out of range.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 9:48 am
The Green Engine

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
In Yorkshire, a snicket is wooded overgrown land...
Surely that's a thicket ???