Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Setting up & Running a Business in Canada

Setting up & Running a Business in Canada

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

wickham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up & Running a Business in Canada

We are emmigrating next spring as business migrants (currently running our own business in the UK). Our visa is conditional upon being actively involved in running a business in Canada (we are heading for the Calgary area). Can anyone share their experiences having done this in Canada?
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 4:13 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Setting up & Running a Business in Canada

Originally Posted by wickham
We are emmigrating next spring as business migrants (currently running our own business in the UK). Our visa is conditional upon being actively involved in running a business in Canada (we are heading for the Calgary area). Can anyone share their experiences having done this in Canada?
I know one couple that did it. After arriving, they basically did nothing for about two years until the authorities started leaning on them. They bought a pub. They'd had pubs in the UK, so I think that the move met the requirements.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 6:13 pm
Cowtown

It will all depend on what field you are in. Care to elaborate?

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Prakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nicePrakash & Sandra is just really nice

Originally Posted by wickham
Hi
We are doing the same, we are going to set up a business supplying milking machines for dairy farms.
Because we are part of a business in the UK and I will be setting up an independant but acting subsiduary of the same business, I am getting a great deal of help from the local chamber of commerce.
Have you been to the business seminar in Toronto it provides a wealth of information on starting a business with useful links to various offices.
Hope this is of some use
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Prakash & Sandra
Hi
We are doing the same, we are going to set up a business supplying milking machines for dairy farms.
Because we are part of a business in the UK and I will be setting up an independant but acting subsiduary of the same business, I am getting a great deal of help from the local chamber of commerce.
Have you been to the business seminar in Toronto it provides a wealth of information on starting a business with useful links to various offices.
Hope this is of some use
Hi That's a bit spooky - in England we currently run a large dairy (doorstep delivery)! Needless to say, that won't be what we are doing in Canada - think the milk would be frozen to the doorstep along with husband probably!

We have been in touch with Calgary Economic Development Dept. and their business information service both of which very helpful but not the local chamber will have to look them up.

Note: for any others out their thinking of applying for a business visa. It is worth meeting with the the relevant provinces Economic Dept. on a research trip as they can give you a supporting letter for your application. They say it doesn't speed things up but we got our visa in just over 12 months so who knows?

Good luck with your venture by the way.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cowtown
It will all depend on what field you are in. Care to elaborate?
We hope to be offering a service to automobile dealerships - sorry I cannot elaborate any further as nothing is signed and sealed yet and don't want to tempt fate!
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I know one couple that did it. After arriving, they basically did nothing for about two years until the authorities started leaning on them. They bought a pub. They'd had pubs in the UK, so I think that the move met the requirements.
Do you know how heavy do the authorities lean on you? Do you know how exacting they are that the business meets the criteria? What concerns me is that if say the deadline is up and we've worked hard for three years but the business hasn't quite met the business financial criterias - would they say "sorry times up off you go back to where you came from" ... or do they have more discretion than that to allow you more time?

Any info from your friends on this would be gratefully received as this is worrying me a lot ...... but then I seem to be worrying about everything thing to do with the move lately....... my husband found some emmigration induced grey hairs on my head the other day (I'm only 35!)