Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

On the serious subject of winter attire

On the serious subject of winter attire

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:50 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile On the serious subject of winter attire

Peeps, as it's now getting a tad chilly this time of the season in the cold dark land north of winter what are you finding works well to beat off the cold ? This lot seems to be working well so far for me, can't grumble:

Layers aplenty seems the rule of urban winter survival.
Good outer coat; wind and waterproof.
Good quality technical outdoor clobber
I have an Omnitech outer coat with a good hood, no complaints.
Polar fleech inner layer
Thinsulate gloves, toque etc.
Also just bought a pair of 'Hot Paws' gloves which are all purpose and also good as driving gloves.
Toque with the flap on that stops the snow blowing in.
Goretex boots.
'Ducks Unlimited' brand socks, sounds totally naff but these beauts are fantastic even with shoes worn instead of boots.

The topic of decent clobber in adverse conditions is certainly a serious business here in Canada, screw up badly and the results will be pretty miserable.

Strangely I've still seen plenty of locals in black rock group t-shirts and a short leather jacket out and about even when it's -3

Also essential is an easily accessible roll of quarters to fend off the aggro-bums downtown.

Observations on fighting off the cold anyone particularly those from cloder provinces ? It's pretty obvious but I'd say people heading to Canada need to be well prepared for conditions that are much more adverse than most of what I can ever remember back in the UK. -8 seems brutal back there, but -5 here (coldest we've had so far) didn't seem to bad at all with good clobber on. Also I don't think prices for good kit are much different comparing each country ? Good stuff from North Face, Columbia, Patagonia, Berghaus are all around the same converted price GBP to $CA ? So if people are visiting for winter come prepared already

Rich.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:53 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On the serious subject of winter attire

My solution..

purchase one Canadian Goose parka! one pair of Kodiak/Sorel -40 boots..

Not cheap but very effective

http://www.canada-goose.com/

Last edited by MikeUK; Dec 2nd 2005 at 2:56 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 2:57 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
purchase one Canadian Goose parka! [/size]
Shsssh watch out for the animal rights activists, those geese are cold now !

Rich.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 3:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

In Toronto, I wear Doctor Marten's, reg tag Levis and Fred Perry shirts. If it's really cold I wear a Crombie. I have a trilby but rarely bother with it. My one concession to local custom is SmartWool socks.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 3:45 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by dbd33
In Toronto, I wear Doctor Marten's, reg tag Levis and Fred Perry shirts. If it's really cold I wear a Crombie. I have a trilby but rarely bother with it. My one concession to local custom is SmartWool socks.
Did you get any points for adaptability factor A good bet you still have clothes shipped over from the UK ?

Rich.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 4:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Did you get any points for adaptability factor A good bet you still have clothes shipped over from the UK ?

Rich.
I got my brogues here, Churches have distrubution around the world.

Doc buying has been an annual ritual since the kids were really small; there are a few shops here, all independently owned. We all troop in, sit down, ask for the wrong sizes. The salesman laces them up, there's much messing around, he becomes invested in the deal. Eventually there are four sets of feet all with boots on them. I carry cash, produce it and ask "how much for this lot ?". If he don't make a sensible price off come all the boots and off we go to the next shop.

Otherwise, there's a Fred Perry shop in Buffalo. Levis are everywhere. I wear the same real Crombie in which I emigrated, my daughters still borrow it to look good for posh events. The coat cost the price of a small car but the value has been amazing.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 4:24 pm
Lotus-eater

LOL sounds like the big deal for booties !

Seriously tho I have found jeans are OK to around freezing point then below that forget 'em ...way too cold. Lets the cold wind through too easy for my liking.

Rich.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 4:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Seriously tho I have found jeans are OK to around freezing point then below that forget 'em ...way too cold. Lets the cold wind through too easy for my liking.

Rich.
Jeans are certainly hopeless if they get wet.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 5:31 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Peeps, as it's now getting a tad chilly this time of the season in the cold dark land north of winter what are you finding works well to beat off the cold ? This lot seems to be working well so far for me, can't grumble:

Layers aplenty seems the rule of urban winter survival.
Good outer coat; wind and waterproof.
Good quality technical outdoor clobber
I have an Omnitech outer coat with a good hood, no complaints.
Polar fleech inner layer
Thinsulate gloves, toque etc.
Also just bought a pair of 'Hot Paws' gloves which are all purpose and also good as driving gloves.
Toque with the flap on that stops the snow blowing in.
Goretex boots.
'Ducks Unlimited' brand socks, sounds totally naff but these beauts are fantastic even with shoes worn instead of boots.
I take it you spend a lot of time outdoors then?

Me, going from Car to Office to Mall to Home,

Jeans, T or golf shirt, Fleece sweater, Steel toed work shoes or rockports.
A Fleece lined jacket (windproof) for the outside bits of the day.

We have heating (and an autostarter) here so that all thats really necessary day to day.

-5 aint cold anyway. When it gets to Feb and its -25 then good gloves, a hat(with ears), Insulated boots, and fleece/shell combo jacket are a necessity. Sometimes those fleece lined pants are good too, although a bit warm when inside. Usually all that stuff lives in the car "just in case", and comes out along with the thermals for the Xmas parade season where I am sitting about so it seems that much colder than if you are doing something more physical.

Name brand isnt worth it in my experience. Just shop where everyone else does, Sears, Walmart, Zellers etc, all have good practical winter wear unless you intend scalling a mountain single handed. Marks is a good source for everyday outside stuff like coats and boots too.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 2nd 2005 at 6:14 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 5:40 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Rich.
- 20 this morning 9 year old rockeports jeans Mitre golf shirt fleece and a thin quilted Train spotters anorak. Doubles as a sideline coat in the fall
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 5:50 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Doc buying has been an annual ritual since the kids were really small; there are a few shops here, all independently owned.
A nice man with a truck drives into our work carpark twice a year, and I get them from him. I dont even have to pay
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 5:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by iaink
A nice man with a truck drives into our work carpark twice a year, and I get them from him. I dont even have to pay
Magic. 'course that does help with getting the wives and children shod.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 6:10 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by iaink
I take it you spend a lot of time outdoors then?
I wouldn't say "a lot" but plenty time spent walking wandering etc. What time is spent in such conditions must be snug and warm. Getting cold on windswept mountain slopes ain't much fun at all and makes for mucho grumbling. A coffee/whiskey combo grog helps too

Rich.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 7:52 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

I am too tight for that.

I keep some English mony in my wallet and tell them in a good English Accent " Sorry I have ran out of Canadian and only got English coins at the moment"

Also essential is an easily accessible roll of quarters to fend off the aggro-bums downtown.

Rich.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 7:58 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by Airseir
I keep some English mony in my wallet and tell them in a good English Accent " Sorry I have ran out of Canadian and only got English coins at the moment"
LOL you'd certainly get stabbed here for that routine
We have hardcore bums and scallies.

Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.