Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

On the serious subject of winter attire

On the serious subject of winter attire

Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all
Default Re: On the serious subject of winter attire

Originally Posted by iaink
Of course if people wore fur for its thermal properties, the hair would be on the inside to trap air next to the body, not on the outside for all to see
Yep, that is why my (faux, can't afford real) mink is suede outside and fur inside. VERY warm but also very heavy.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:26 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I've lived in the Yukon - for short spells, a few times. It's not really that cold or snowy. Pretty dark in the winter though which has it's charm and absolutely fantastic in the summer.
Wow Peas, you have been around a fair old bit

Any Yukon Tales to tell ....Northern Lights etc ?

Rich.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:33 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007

Rich.
We get the northern lights here in Ontario, and thats almost as far south as you can get in Canada eh!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:51 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but do they get stronger/clearer/more bootiful the further north ? I'd guess/hope so. Saw them from Iceland ocne but that was a sad stringy white thing (no not a cloud!) and overall a bit of a disappointment, as was the black icelandic vodka and whale blubber

Rich
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:37 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Do you know that you can buy doggie jewellery too ?

Rich.
Our dog- yes, Rich has a polo neck jumper with bandana, bootees and a lovely indian coat, plus two t shirts one of which says 'security' ha ha...no but seriously they do feel the cold and esp when it gets down to -15 and beyond...it can seriously affect the 'paws' so although all us 'dog lovers' appear to be 'strange and weird' it is a matter of practicality and keeping them warm and comfortable...Had to stop the 'wife' with the 'hairslides' though...that was just going too far.....
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:49 pm
millymolly

mandyrawlinson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
I know LOL, My dog is the most spoiled dog on the block! He has the cutest Diamonte collar, that is pink LOL ( he was supposed to be Lola, but when we picked him up he had a wee willy winky)

PLEEAASSEEE CIC please issue my visa sooooonnn I have waaayyy too much time on my hands!! Please for the sake of my Canadian born Gender confused dog.
a burberry jacket, for the bloody dog.

whatever next.

is this dog a football hooligan????
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:27 pm
Lotus-eater

Hey there ma dawg, word on the street you's wanting your paws on this, yo. Real deal for yo bitch posse.....woof ! Be strutting yo sexy four legged ting downtown, innit. Shake yo tail, way to go, dawg !

http://www.downtowndoggy.com/category20_1.htm

Rich
Attached Thumbnails On the serious subject of winter attire-doggy.jpg  
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:35 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Hey - whooooo

careful - my wife might see that link

if were not careful we could end up wih a blin bling dog with more jewelry than my wife.

As a side note why cant you get Baffin Snow Dog's for Dog's???? - in fact I shall start this as a new thread.

Hey there ma dawg, word on the street you's wanting your paws on this, yo. Real deal for yo bitch posse.....woof ! Be strutting yo sexy four legged ting downtown, innit. Shake yo tail, way to go, dawg !

http://www.downtowndoggy.com/category20_1.htm

Rich
Old Dec 8th 2005, 3:23 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Rich.
I've family in the Yukon, NWT, BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan (well they're all dead now), Ontario and Newfoundland, I have had no choice but to get a around. Yukon tales? Yes but nothing exceptionally exciting though there was that ice weasle incident... :scared: It's amazing up there, IMO.

I've seen many northern lights. Check this out: http://virtual.finland.fi/stream/aurora.ram it's from Scandinavia but similar to what you see up north though for some reason the ones in the video are all green... artistic licence? or maybe they are all green in Scandinavia -- Wannabe? Do you know?

more oooooo.... awwwwwwe......:

Old Dec 10th 2005, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Muncles will become famous soon enoughMuncles will become famous soon enough

I've seen many northern lights. Check this out: http://virtual.finland.fi/stream/aurora.ram it's from Scandinavia but similar to what you see up north though for some reason the ones in the video are all green... artistic licence? or maybe they are all green in Scandinavia
Hi HWP,

Just to bore you with some Physical Chemistry...

Green and red are caused by excitation of electrons in oxygen in the ionosphere and blue and crimson by excitation of electrons in Nitrogen.

The colour produced is dependent on what height the oxygen/nitrogen are in the ionosphere when cosmic radiation from the Sun hits them. This promotes electrons to higher energy orbitals within the atom. The electron only has enough energy to exist in this higher energy orbital for a short time and returns to a lower energy state. The energy stored in the electron is released as light characteristic for that particular element (as each have different electronic configurations).

In Sweden, perhaps owing to the tilt of the Earth, the incident cosmic radiation must penetrate the ionosphere more deeply and produces more green for oxygen and less red.

Are you still awake?
Old Dec 11th 2005, 4:46 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Compasses any good???

But the movment of the magnetic North Pole is suppposed to change all that.

The point actually moves around about 85km a DAY! Over the year it moves approx 40km

http://gsc.nrcan.gc.ca/geomag/nmp/daily_mvt_nmp_e.php

http://gsc.nrcan.gc.ca/geomag/nmp/long_mvt_nmp_e.php
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:46 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Muncles
Hi HWP,

Just to bore you with some Physical Chemistry...

Are you still awake?
Hmmm... 'excitation', 'cosmic radiation', 'higher energy orbitals', 'penetrate the ionosphere more deeply', etc... to be honest, it all sounds rather sensuous to me!
Old Dec 11th 2005, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Muncles will become famous soon enoughMuncles will become famous soon enough

Hmmm... 'excitation', 'cosmic radiation', 'higher energy orbitals', 'penetrate the ionosphere more deeply', etc... to be honest, it all sounds rather sensuous to me!
Titter ye not!
Ding Dong!
Ohhh Hellllooo!
Old Dec 11th 2005, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

physics is full of surprises.....