British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Serious about going back (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/serious-about-going-back-696169/)

rivingtonpike Dec 10th 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Serious about going back

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi (Post 9033313)
I wouldn't normally post on this, but again I have to agree with this poster. It sounds as though you are being played and agreeing to what your son wants. 5 months is not long enough to make any decisions. You need 2 years to settle in any place and you are going through the known down period. All of this is documented re moving to a new country. I have a 12 yr old son. We came here 4 years ago. He is happy and has mates. Yes he plays hockey and also soccer. Plays guitar and piano and has homework too. The schools offer programs for all levels of ability andi f you're not sporty there are plenty of other activities. You just have to look for them.

I got a job at a uni after 2 years (I'm an engineer but doing an admin job). It gets you integrated.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I really do think that the tail is wagging the dog here and you are looking for a reason to go back. It's your choice and this is obviously a biased forum, but there are thousand of people who spend time/money to get here and would love the chance that you have.
Even if you stay 2 years, your son would go back before gcses and so nothing lost there. You need to give it a chance, but only if you want to.

Don't think i have contributed anything else but it was my 2ps worth.

Such a pity that Thai hasn't got anything positive to say about the Canadian experience. I'm not a teacher (parents around the globe sigh with relief), but I do have 2 teachers in the family: brother in New Zealand and brother in law in United Arab Emirates. Both are fairly senior in the education sectors for their respective countries. They have both, without hesitation, had nothing but praise for the Canadian education system compared with the UK. Now, whilst they're not actually teaching in the UK at the moment (commute was just too much), they both trained here and, of course, were educated here.

I'm very happy and comfortable for my young kids (2 girls) to have a pop at the Canadian system. I think it will be broadening for them on both an academic level but also a social and cultural one.

Tangram Dec 10th 2010 8:23 pm

Patriotism is not about claiming everything about your country of birth is better than anywhere else. That is bigotry.

Isn't that Jingoism ?

Almost Canadian Dec 10th 2010 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 9033489)
Patriotism is not about claiming everything about your country of birth is better than anywhere else. That is bigotry.

Really? You learn something every day.

Isn't that Jingoism ?

helcat12 Dec 10th 2010 9:06 pm

Isn't that Jingoism ?

Probably both:thumbdown:

taichiiqueen Dec 10th 2010 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 9032602)
Genuinely sorry the experience hasn't worked out for you as a family. Not everybody is suited to a life in Canada. My brother and his family lives in New Zealand and love it; our mother lives in France and loves it. I personally don't want to live in either place. For our family, Canada will do just fine. For yours, it sounds like North Yorkshire will do just fine.

I hope the move home will end your son's unhappiness and you all find again whatever it is that your previous life had that Alberta hasn't.

Thank you :thumbsup:

taichiiqueen Dec 10th 2010 11:06 pm

An ode to promises ---- or a muse or anything you want to add. The diversity of life means you can’t criticise, but valued opinions gratefully accepted. Each to their own.

Here is my husband’s take on it all.:rofl:

Some of my musings, in no particular order on this whole debacle.

I was under the impression that these types of forum were for both types of views and I applaud free speech ( for the dumb. Discharge 1981) and even “Franglais” look it up :).

If you want to back up a “fact” have a statistician create a report on it.

I wish they had told me at the interviews and presentations I had to give and the previous 13 years working for the parent company doing extra projects etc that I would not have to be any good as I would not be getting a job on merit anyway.

Having a choice of giving up over a years pay in redundancy and using that to fund a try at a different lifestyle in Canada ( not paid for by company I work for) or staying in the UK and finding another job (should be easy as I don’t have to be any good at anything because I didn’t have to get this job on merit) was not easy to do especially when it includes family members other than yourself.
Spending time sorting out all our removals and relocation was done by us so we know what we are talking about. The company I used to work for told us which relocator to use then we had to do the rest. I also had to ship my bikes over in a separate crate as my old company would not let me use the severance package that I gave up to ship motorcycles because they were classed as dangerous ( they are only dangerous when I am on them) . :D

Taichiiqueen, please try not to have your own opinions and even though you have worked hard to be a qualified professional and a mother for goodness sake stay in the kitchen and as Mr Cholmondley –Warner would say “Women, for pitys sake .Don’t drive !

I put effort into doing things and that includes being happy and making my family happy and secure. My sense of humour is in built, if I knew where the manufacturers were I would ask you to post the address so that some others could have one. Don’t know what we are going to do family wise in the UK now that we can’t go ski-ing or ice skating or play hockey. Suppose we will have to go back to eating bread n dripping and racing whippets . Any- one remember Monty Python !!!

“ You were lucky,we lived for 3 months in a paper bag in a septic tank”

“Well,of course we had it tough.We used to ‘ave to get up out of shoebox at 12o’clock at night and lick road clean wi’t tongue.We had two bits of cold gravel,worked 24 hours a day t mill for sixpence every four years and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wi’t bread knife”

It depends which lifestyle you subscribe to but I don’t want to arrive at the gates (pearly or other wise) in a comfortable car with a big wad of money .I want to scream up to them on my bikes back wheel ,using my last bit of fuel and with a huge grin shouting “what a *$£%£2++ ride”.

Your life and your choices are your reality .

Many thanks to all who have given their views, there have been some valid points and some home truths pointed out.

I am grateful for the opportunities that we have had in this life and I am grateful that we are able bodied, of good health and sane (borderline, see all of above).

I wish everyone all the luck and success they deserve.

Yes I agree ,we have packing to do so lets “ get er done” and move on to the next step.

The grass is always greener, but in Canada it is quite often white.

dboy Dec 10th 2010 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by taichiiqueen (Post 9033805)
An ode to promises ---- or a muse or anything you want to add. The diversity of life means you can’t criticise, but valued opinions gratefully accepted. Each to their own.

Here is my husband’s take on it all.:rofl:

Some of my musings, in no particular order on this whole debacle.

I was under the impression that these types of forum were for both types of views and I applaud free speech ( for the dumb. Discharge 1981) and even “Franglais” look it up :).

If you want to back up a “fact” have a statistician create a report on it.

I wish they had told me at the interviews and presentations I had to give and the previous 13 years working for the parent company doing extra projects etc that I would not have to be any good as I would not be getting a job on merit anyway.

Having a choice of giving up over a years pay in redundancy and using that to fund a try at a different lifestyle in Canada ( not paid for by company I work for) or staying in the UK and finding another job (should be easy as I don’t have to be any good at anything because I didn’t have to get this job on merit) was not easy to do especially when it includes family members other than yourself.
Spending time sorting out all our removals and relocation was done by us so we know what we are talking about. The company I used to work for told us which relocator to use then we had to do the rest. I also had to ship my bikes over in a separate crate as my old company would not let me use the severance package that I gave up to ship motorcycles because they were classed as dangerous ( they are only dangerous when I am on them) . :D

Taichiiqueen, please try not to have your own opinions and even though you have worked hard to be a qualified professional and a mother for goodness sake stay in the kitchen and as Mr Cholmondley –Warner would say “Women, for pitys sake .Don’t drive !

I put effort into doing things and that includes being happy and making my family happy and secure. My sense of humour is in built, if I knew where the manufacturers were I would ask you to post the address so that some others could have one. Don’t know what we are going to do family wise in the UK now that we can’t go ski-ing or ice skating or play hockey. Suppose we will have to go back to eating bread n dripping and racing whippets . Any- one remember Monty Python !!!

“ You were lucky,we lived for 3 months in a paper bag in a septic tank”

“Well,of course we had it tough.We used to ‘ave to get up out of shoebox at 12o’clock at night and lick road clean wi’t tongue.We had two bits of cold gravel,worked 24 hours a day t mill for sixpence every four years and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wi’t bread knife”

It depends which lifestyle you subscribe to but I don’t want to arrive at the gates (pearly or other wise) in a comfortable car with a big wad of money .I want to scream up to them on my bikes back wheel ,using my last bit of fuel and with a huge grin shouting “what a *$£%£2++ ride”.

Your life and your choices are your reality .

Many thanks to all who have given their views, there have been some valid points and some home truths pointed out.

I am grateful for the opportunities that we have had in this life and I am grateful that we are able bodied, of good health and sane (borderline, see all of above).

I wish everyone all the luck and success they deserve.

Yes I agree ,we have packing to do so lets “ get er done” and move on to the next step.

The grass is always greener, but in Canada it is quite often white.

So having lived in alberda, you are now an expert on all things Canadian. Bit like writing off the UK as one had a particualry nasty go of it in Tooting or Grimsby.

Try to be objective. Does n't fit you, nothing wrong with that, but don't tar and feather the whole place FFS.

No1_mom Dec 10th 2010 11:32 pm

I think your response is pathetic. I don't understand Monty Python although hubbie is No 1 fan.

If you truly give up after 5 months then you have wasted your time, money and more importantly may have made someone else miss out on the position you got and are now running away from. If you think life is better in the UK then you must live in a very secluded area away from reality. The only posiitive thing is the £ has fell so much and UK house prices have fell you might end up getting a bargain but when you add in the cost coming here and now going back what a waste.

You didn't try to fit in, join in or make an effort - you want people to adapt to you and that is the wrong thing to do. If you had done your research you should have seen what Canada was like particularly in relation to the 'white' stuff. This is the problem that is happening in the UK , people arriving expect the UK to adapt to them rather than them fit in with the UK culture. Canada has its faults, every country has but it way exceeds what is offered in the UK and we for one will never go back not even for a holiday.

I hope you never regret this rash decision and in particular allowing your son to sit crying in his room at 12 years old is pampering to him instead of making him find out what is on offer and find something he likes - there would have been something.

Cape Blue Dec 10th 2010 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 9033834)
So having lived in alberda, you are now an expert on all things Canadian. Bit like writing off the UK as one had a particualry nasty go of it in Tooting or Grimsby.

Try to be objective. Does n't fit you, nothing wrong with that, but don't tar and feather the whole place FFS.

Originally Posted by No1_mom (Post 9033840)
I think your response is pathetic. I don't understand Monty Python although hubbie is No 1 fan.

If you truly give up after 5 months then you have wasted your time, money and more importantly may have made someone else miss out on the position you got and are now running away from. If you think life is better in the UK then you must live in a very secluded area away from reality. The only posiitive thing is the £ has fell so much and UK house prices have fell you might end up getting a bargain but when you add in the cost coming here and now going back what a waste.

You didn't try to fit in, join in or make an effort - you want people to adapt to you and that is the wrong thing to do. If you had done your research you should have seen what Canada was like particularly in relation to the 'white' stuff. This is the problem that is happening in the UK , people arriving expect the UK to adapt to them rather than them fit in with the UK culture. Canada has its faults, every country has but it way exceeds what is offered in the UK and we for one will never go back not even for a holiday.

I hope you never regret this rash decision and in particular allowing your son to sit crying in his room at 12 years old is pampering to him instead of making him find out what is on offer and find something he likes - there would have been something.

Rash generalizations abound on both sides of the argument methinks. :)

Sally Redux Dec 11th 2010 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 9033872)
Rash generalizations abound on both sides of the argument methinks. :)

No point beating your head against a wall if you have other options - some expats are mad keen to 'prove' their adopted country is 'the best' - a futile exercise as it has to be what's best for each individual.

taichiiqueen Dec 11th 2010 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9033880)
No point beating your head against a wall if you have other options - some expats are mad keen to 'prove' their adopted country is 'the best' - a futile exercise as it has to be what's best for each individual.

Finally, originally only wanted other peoples experiences.Took a while but....:drinkwine::drinkwine::drinkwine::drinkwine :

taichiiqueen Dec 11th 2010 12:13 am

Originally Posted by No1_mom (Post 9033840)

You didn't try to fit in, join in or make an effort -

And your proof is where?????????????????????????????????????:rofl:

Alan2005 Dec 11th 2010 12:35 am

Originally Posted by taichiiqueen (Post 9033889)
You didn't try to fit in, join in or make an effort -

And your proof is where?????????????????????????????????????:rofl:

The fact that you are going home after 5 mos seems like pretty good evidence.

lmartin999 Dec 11th 2010 12:38 am

I've generally been miserable in both countries. Harder to get alcohol and really good Indian food in Canada, so could tip the balance. It's also a bit crap if we are honest. Ok, but a bit crap.

ldyinlv Dec 11th 2010 1:00 am

Originally Posted by lmartin999 (Post 9033922)
I've generally been miserable in both countries. Harder to get alcohol and really good Indian food in Canada, so could tip the balance. It's also a bit crap if we are honest. Ok, but a bit crap.

If someone is not happy where they are, who are we to judge them, or take personally their decision?. If they are not happy, making them feel bad about wanting to go home is not going to make them feel better or change their minds. No matter what country they are in, or any of us are in, if it doesnt feel like home to us then we should go home. It doesnt take very long sometimes to realize that.
I think anyone who has taken a chance on a new adventure in their lives, successful or not, is very brave. Its the people that never leave the town they where born in, that I feel sorry for.
Jackie..:)