Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Selling ALL Your Electrical Goods

Selling ALL Your Electrical Goods

Old May 13th 2005, 6:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling ALL Your Electrical Goods

Originally Posted by Crispie
I take it "knob and tube" was the colloquial name for the local electricians.
Ha.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...ome_insurance/

House insurers here are keen to cut people off. They refused to renew the policy of a friend of mine because her house is terraced, like that happened overnight !
Old May 14th 2005, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Voyager970Who wants to go out and buy transformers and then have to watch them incase they overheat, then BANG !!!!!!!!!!! :scared:
No more working stuff as you blow the mains in the house.

Eddie[/QUOTE]

I've never understood this paranoia about the transformers overheating, unless you don't take any notice of the power rating. Many consumer goods, especially computer peripherals, run of transformers. I've had some connected continuously for years without problem.

The keys issues are; don't buy cheap and make sure that they have adequate ventilation. They need a flow of air over them to allow the heat to be removed, so don't box them in.
Old May 14th 2005, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Cathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeUK
It'll be either in watts or VA on a label on the back of the machine...often it'll say 50/60hz this is a sure sign that It should work OK over here...if its says only 50Hz then it may not work ?

as a simple rule of thumb for most normal electrical items I'd say

double the power to get the right watts on a transformer
if the appliance is 50w then get a 100w transformer it just lasts longer
except in the case of a TV then go four times due to the switch on surge caused by the degauss circuit

if in doubt ask somebody who knows
Many many thanks Mike!

S'appreciated!

Cheers doll,

Wendy

32 more sleeps
Old May 14th 2005, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
Sounds daft I know...But what and where is the best place to sell All your electrical goods....Most of ours are around the three year old mark, we've looked on Ebay for guidance and don't fancy selling them off for 10p......Any Ideas Guys?
Only slightly off topic - before we left the UK we gave away all our DVD's - region 2/region 1 complications etc. Now we're here we've found that most cheapo brands of DVD players are multi-region. So for about UKP30 you can get a multi-region DVD player from Wal*Mart or Best Buy, and watch all your old DVD's to your hearts content, as well as region 1 DVD's hired/bought from BlockBuster. So my advice is - if you don't bring your 230V DVD player, at least keep your DVD's and pick up a cheap player when you get here. BTW, this probably won't work with top brands (the Sony's, Panasonics etc) as they WILL be region 1 only.
Disclaimer: No guarantee given or implied.
Old May 15th 2005, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Quinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant futureQuinn of Québec has a brilliant future

Can i just say that it is helpful threads like this that make this forum such a valuable resource.

Those of you that have suggested buying a a good quality transformer perhaps you can tell us a good shop in which I'll be able to find such a device.

Personally I'm selling/giving away just about everything but am bringing my beloved stereo (couldn't bear to part with it) so I will need a good transformer.

I was also planning on bringing my DVDs

Originally Posted by Snave
Now we're here we've found that most cheapo brands of DVD players are multi-region. So for about UKP30 you can get a multi-region DVD player from Wal*Mart or Best Buy, and watch all your old DVD's to your hearts content, as well as region 1 DVD's hired/bought from BlockBuster. So my advice is - if you don't bring your 230V DVD player, at least keep your DVD's and pick up a cheap player when you get here.
Now this IS interesting Snave.

I had heard that mutiregion DVD players were illegal in Canada?? Anyone else heard that? Perhaps it's a province specific law (they guy in the shop in Québec said that they were illegal but then again perhaps he was just trying to make a sale).

I was assuming that I would have to buy a laptop and use it's DVD ROM drive to play my DVDs through a TV via a scart lead.

If you can indeed get multiregion players in Canada then that is superb news.
Old May 15th 2005, 8:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinn of Québec
Can i just say that it is helpful threads like this that make this forum such a valuable resource.

Those of you that have suggested buying a a good quality transformer perhaps you can tell us a good shop in which I'll be able to find such a device.

Personally I'm selling/giving away just about everything but am bringing my beloved stereo (couldn't bear to part with it) so I will need a good transformer.

I was also planning on bringing my DVDs

Now this IS interesting Snave.

I had heard that mutiregion DVD players were illegal in Canada?? Anyone else heard that? Perhaps it's a province specific law (they guy in the shop in Québec said that they were illegal but then again perhaps he was just trying to make a sale).

I was assuming that I would have to buy a laptop and use it's DVD ROM drive to play my DVDs through a TV via a scart lead.

If you can indeed get multiregion players in Canada then that is superb news.

Transformers and all manner of other bits related to foreign electrical equipment can be obtained at "House of 220" on Gerrard St. E. in Toronto.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:07 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Selling ALL Your Electrical Goods

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
In case you have a clothes dryer that runs on 240 volts, and in case you're not aware of this fact, Canadian clothes dryers run on 240 volts too. For that reason each house has a 240 volt line as well as 120 volt lines for the rest of the appliances.

I don't know if you have a publication like this where you live, but here in Calgary we have the Bargain Finder, which comes out every Thursday. People still use it, Ebay notwithstanding. We have bought and sold things through the Bargain Finder.
We are hoping to move to Calgary early next year and we have a major problem in that some of our electrical gear needs changing now but we have been holding back because Canada was 110 and not 240 as in the UK. I was interested to read your note but when visiting my relations in Calgary no one has mentioned anything about 240 volts being available. Is this only available in newer homes or does everyone have this option? Looking at property some do mention 240 volt availablity - how does this work??
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:53 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
We are hoping to move to Calgary early next year and we have a major problem in that some of our electrical gear needs changing now but we have been holding back because Canada was 110 and not 240 as in the UK. I was interested to read your note but when visiting my relations in Calgary no one has mentioned anything about 240 volts being available. Is this only available in newer homes or does everyone have this option? Looking at property some do mention 240 volt availablity - how does this work??
240 volt, 60 cycle current has almost always been available in all Canadian homes it is used for not only clothes dryers but for electric stoves.

240 volt circuits can be wired from the main circuit panel by any qualified electrician.

Cheers
Steve
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by woodmanbg
Hi,
You'll find that your house will have so called 240 V...If you open up your service panel you should find a thicker cable coming into the panel...It should have the following:
1 x Red Cable 120 V +0r- 5%
1 x Black cable 120 V +or- 5%
1 x White Cable : Neutral
1 x Ground Cable : Should have no insulation on it.

Between the two phase cables you will get 208V taking into consideration the % difference....

However the cost of having 240V outlets throughout your house might sway you to leave your goods in the UK. Anyway you'll get used to having the Canadian washers etc... and where will you get your spares from (Cheaply) when the damn hotpoint breaks down.