Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Selling ALL Your Electrical Goods

Selling ALL Your Electrical Goods

Old May 11th 2005, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all
Default Re: Selling ALL Your Electrical Goods

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
Sounds daft I know...But what and where is the best place to sell All your electrical goods....Most of ours are around the three year old mark, we've looked on Ebay for guidance and don't fancy selling them off for 10p......Any Ideas Guys?
sell them on ebay ...its the best...just put a reserve on them...bythe way, anyone wanna buy Trinny and Sussanah 'What u wear will change your life'? Dont need it no more....mission completed
Old May 11th 2005, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wensamjam
does it ???...:scared: :scared: :scared:
LOL
Old May 11th 2005, 9:35 am
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patsy
sell them on ebay ...its the best...just put a reserve on them...bythe way, anyone wanna buy Trinny and Sussanah 'What u wear will change your life'? Dont need it no more....mission completed
Errr, no. Sorry!!!
Old May 11th 2005, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
Umm....I Guess your right....however if you employ the formula P (Watts) = IV..and then transpose this you'll find that the Current (I) taken to run this Kettle is almost double of what it would take to run in the UK...Therefore costing Mucho Dollar more.
Not quite right. The resistance of the element will be fixed so the rated power will be at the specified voltage. This means that since the Canadian voltage is lower that in turn it will take a lower current, approximately half. This is turn will mean that the kettle takes twice as long to heat up the water.

Does this make me the picky sod of the day Two weeks and five days before I get on the plane, so I need something to take my mind off it.
Old May 11th 2005, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Cathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Selling ALL Your Electrical Goods

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Aren't step-up transformers a bit bulky though? I've only ever seen one and it was the size (and weight) of a breeze block. It was the thought of having those things cluttering up the house that prompted me to sling out my hi-fi's and (beloved) trouser press.
Colour me DOH! But... if I buy a stransformer, can I take a 4 way multi bar plug thing from the UK and plug it into that and then only but one transformer and run more than one gadget off it? Like, say... a TV, PS2 and the speakers?

... or am I just being TOO tight with the cash?

Cheers!

Wendy

34 more sleeps to go
Old May 11th 2005, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Patsy
We sold all our Hi-Fi separates on eBay. The cost of shipping so many separate boxes out - all of which were quite heavy - disuaded me from bringing them, and we got around UKP250 for them all - enough to start again here in Canada with newer, more modern gear. Broke my heart though, the Sansui amp I sold I was given as faulty when I was a trainee, and I restored it to it's former glory.
Old May 12th 2005, 1:29 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purple74
Colour me DOH! But... if I buy a stransformer, can I take a 4 way multi bar plug thing from the UK and plug it into that and then only but one transformer and run more than one gadget off it? Like, say... a TV, PS2 and the speakers?

... or am I just being TOO tight with the cash?

Cheers!

Wendy

34 more sleeps to go
yep....

as long as you stay within the working limits of the transformer... and I suggest you stay at half its rated power just because some electrical units for a few seconds pull upto 3 to 4 times there rated power at ‘switch on’…. TV’s are especially guilty of this

so for a 1kw transformer I’d suggest a safe working limit for a long life would be never to put more than 500w on as a full load…
Old May 12th 2005, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Scouse
Errr, no. Sorry!!!
lol cheeky bugger!!!
Old May 12th 2005, 4:58 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

SELL THE LOT THATS MY MOTTO

The cost of shipping all of those heavy electrical items and the hassle of it all, to sell it, to me makes more sense, and then you have the hassle of trying to get it to work in Canada.

Who wants to go out and buy transformers and then have to watch them incase they overheat, then BANG !!!!!!!!!!! :scared:
No more working stuff as you blow the mains in the house.

And then as someone pointed out, what if there is a house fire due to your dodgy stuff, will the insurance company pay out NO WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am looking forward to actually going out and buying new stuff.

Anyway everyone has their own opinion on this one

YEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAA 500 posts

Eddie

Last edited by Voyager970; May 12th 2005 at 5:02 am.
Old May 12th 2005, 5:07 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voyager970
new stuff.

Anyway everyone has their own opinion on this one

Eddie

Me...simple I'm back in canada for the second time.....
I sold up first time ...then realized a lot of my stuff with a small bit of effort would work....
and in some cases would be better than the stuff I could buy in canada...
Old May 12th 2005, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

CONGRATS On the Big Five Oh oh....I'm gonna sell the lot...But was after a decent way of doing it...Some good Ideas, especially like the Estate agent one...Might dabble on ebay...trying at work...but the trouble with work is everyone has been married for donkeys...and have already got the stuff...but they said they'll ask their kids!!!
Old May 12th 2005, 12:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Just a thought, for anyone likely to be purchasing a house over here. Places built in the sixties and early seventies may well have aluminium wiring, or a mix of aluminium and copper. Best avoided.

Ditto urea-formaldehyde foam insulation (just say no, because your mortgage lender will).
The houses in this part of Toronto are older and often have "knob and tube" wiring. Replacing it is a problem because the walls are horse hair and plaster and there aren't many plasterers around anymore. They just bang up drywall now, hopeless if you have a decorative ceiling. Problems arise as the casing on the wires decays and circuits become unreliable. When we moved into this house there was a mess of loose cables around the fuse box, plugging in two appliances at once caused loud bangs and flying sparks. I'm not quite sure how the insurance company knew this but the premium was $4,000 for the first year. We had a breaker box installed for $1400 and provided the insurance company with an inspection certificate. Insurance now is $500 and the lights stay on even when we make toast.

In this house I run a record player I brought from England, the House of 220 in Little India supplied the transformer and capstan.

Last edited by dbd33; May 12th 2005 at 12:33 pm.
Old May 12th 2005, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Cathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeUK
yep....

as long as you stay within the working limits of the transformer... and I suggest you stay at half its rated power just because some electrical units for a few seconds pull upto 3 to 4 times there rated power at ‘switch on’…. TV’s are especially guilty of this

so for a 1kw transformer I’d suggest a safe working limit for a long life would be never to put more than 500w on as a full load…
Cheers Mike!!!

... how will I know the Wattage? I haven't looked yet, would it be on the actual device? Or is there maths involved?

Thanks again!!

Wendy

33 more sleeps
Old May 13th 2005, 1:22 am
Part Time Poster

Originally Posted by Purple74
Cheers Mike!!!

... how will I know the Wattage? I haven't looked yet, would it be on the actual device? Or is there maths involved?

Thanks again!!

Wendy

33 more sleeps

It'll be either in watts or VA on a label on the back of the machine...often it'll say 50/60hz this is a sure sign that It should work OK over here...if its says only 50Hz then it may not work ?

as a simple rule of thumb for most normal electrical items I'd say

double the power to get the right watts on a transformer
if the appliance is 50w then get a 100w transformer it just lasts longer
except in the case of a TV then go four times due to the switch on surge caused by the degauss circuit

if in doubt ask somebody who knows
Old May 13th 2005, 6:25 am
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbd33
The houses in this part of Toronto are older and often have "knob and tube" wiring.
I take it "knob and tube" was the colloquial name for the local electricians.

I am selling anything big and electrical except computers but shall bring the pricier hifi stuff that will run from a transformer (hidden somewhere).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.