Reload this Page >

Self pack shipping from UK to Canada

Self pack shipping from UK to Canada

Old Oct 17th 2017, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Marieuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self pack shipping from UK to Canada

Hello everyone.

Apologies if these questions are addressed elsewhere. I have searched around a bit but can't seem to find the answer to these questions:

*I am moving my belongings from the UK to Canada. Some of the items are antique furniture, the tallest of which are 2m tall, so this rules out Movecube, who seem to offer the service I'm looking for, but not the size of container.

*I am looking at self pack shipping containers, but as I don't have an address in the UK, it would be better for me to take the items to the container, rather than the other way around. Has anyone heard of this kind of service?

*I arrived in Canada in August 2016, and applied for my visa in January 2017. I am presuming the entry date for the customs declaration is when my status changed from visitor to visa applicant. Is this correct?

*Does anyone have any self pack recommendations. Having things packed for me really is not an option as the items are in London, Harrogate & York, in separate storage lockers.

*Currently I'm looking at PPS, but I see lots of bad reviews....

Thank you so much for any help at all.

This whole thing is rather daunting.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 11:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self pack shipping from UK to Canada

If you self pack, insurance is usually total loss only. All risks is limited to shipper packed. If you don't have the right insurance, look up 'General Average' for losses. The added risks may make it more worthwhile having the shipper pack.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 2:22 am
Just Joined

juliej is an unknown quantity at this point

I used Anglo Pacific International.

I was in the UK and packed everything up myself and they came and picked it up. We told them how many boxes we needed and what size which they dropped off first. We filled them and then had them pick up the full boxes (don't think we paid for the empty ones, we just returned them). I was happy with the service and didn't have any issues!
Old Oct 19th 2017, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I seriously would not consider using self-pack for antiques. I presume that they have a value to you in addition to the monetary value, if you have kept them.

You will not be covered for any damage to them if you pack yourself.

I speak from experience from having a grandfather clock damaged when shipped over here .......... a fork lift truck put the forks through the top of the box built around the clock instead of under it.

Luckily it was insured against damage by the moving company, the damage was not as bad as it might have been as the joints of the top casing over the clock face were glued and the glue was so old that the joints just fell apart. The glass did not even break!

The insurance covered all the costs of repair, which also included a check of the workings of the clock.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 4:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I seriously would not consider using self-pack for antiques. I presume that they have a value to you in addition to the monetary value, if you have kept them.

You will not be covered for any damage to them if you pack yourself.

I speak from experience from having a grandfather clock damaged when shipped over here .......... a fork lift truck put the forks through the top of the box built around the clock instead of under it.

Luckily it was insured against damage by the moving company, the damage was not as bad as it might have been as the joints of the top casing over the clock face were glued and the glue was so old that the joints just fell apart. The glass did not even break!

The insurance covered all the costs of repair, which also included a check of the workings of the clock.
I self packed and arranged insurance through a 3rd party - when my shipment arrived, an antique table had it's legs smashed off. The insurers paid for it to be professionally restored.

I'll see if I can find the insurers name

Edited to add - here's the insurers: http://www.unirisc.ca/Expatriate_ENG.htm

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 19th 2017 at 5:38 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I self packed and arranged insurance through a 3rd party - when my shipment arrived, an antique table had it's legs smashed off. The insurers paid for it to be professionally restored.

I'll see if I can find the insurers name

Edited to add - here's the insurers: Untitled Document

I had thought of adding that arranging insurance ourselves would have an option IF we had self packed.

It wasn't an option ........... we were here and m-i-l was downsizing as she moved into seniors accommodation. And, to be honest, I doubt I would have self packed for any move from country to country.

But that is just my opinion ............. I'm not qualified to pack furniture etc, moving companies are!

It would be worth checking the difference in costs between moving company and self packing with 3rd party insurance.

I certainly would not send ANY item of value, antique or not, without insurance!
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

We self packed. A friend helped who used to work fora removal company.
We got a 5 bedroom house in to a 20' container. It was so tightly packed nothing was going to move.

All in I think we saved about £2,000
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
We self packed. A friend helped who used to work fora removal company.
We got a 5 bedroom house in to a 20' container. It was so tightly packed nothing was going to move.

All in I think we saved about £2,000
And all went well? What if the contents had been extensively damaged were you covered? If not would the cost of replacing such items exceed the 2 thousand you saved?

I guess you determine your own risk factor when doing stuff like this. And yes Ive been guilty of not taking out extra insurance for a day or weekend trip to the USA. Now I make sure Im covered more than the standard coverage.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I used Anglo Pacific twice and was happy with the service.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
And all went well? What if the contents had been extensively damaged were you covered? If not would the cost of replacing such items exceed the 2 thousand you saved?

I guess you determine your own risk factor when doing stuff like this. And yes Ive been guilty of not taking out extra insurance for a day or weekend trip to the USA. Now I make sure Im covered more than the standard coverage.
The insurance covered total loss and theft.
Maybe we're risk takers. That's what we did in 2011 and probably would do it again...
Old Oct 26th 2017, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering if there was something that can't be shipped to Canada? Any specific items? Like pillows? Duvets? Furniture and wood, if it's treated should be fine....

I still have some things in Europe, hence my asking.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Just wondering if there was something that can't be shipped to Canada? Any specific items? Like pillows? Duvets? Furniture and wood, if it's treated should be fine....

I still have some things in Europe, hence my asking.
There is no simple list of things you cannot ship as you are dealing with multiple Agencies that require CBSA to police their legislation.

Most common items that can't be shipped from Europe

Used vehicles that don't meet the RIV programme, any meat products or food containing meat, certain cheeses and other dairy products, untreated wooden articles, fireworks, non prescribed drugs and a raft of other articles.

Some references

BSF5188 - Declare all food, plant and animal products
Memorandum D2-2-1 - Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00
Old Oct 27th 2017, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

There is no simple list of things you cannot ship as you are dealing with multiple Agencies that require CBSA to police their legislation.

Most common items that can't be shipped from Europe

Used vehicles that don't meet the RIV programme, any meat products or food containing meat, certain cheeses and other dairy products, untreated wooden articles, fireworks, non prescribed drugs and a raft of other articles.

Some references

BSF5188 - Declare all food, plant and animal products
Memorandum D2-2-1 - Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00
Vehicles which are 15 years or older should be possible to be brought into Canada, I take it.

That's at least according to my research.

Do you have any practical experiences on vehicles?
Old Oct 27th 2017, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
Vehicles which are 15 years or older should be possible to be brought into Canada, I take it.

That's at least according to my research.

Do you have any practical experiences on vehicles?
This is the official memorandum
Memorandum D19-12-1 - Importation of Vehicles

Basically for a vehicle from the EU it has to be either brand new and manufactured to meet the CMVSS or over 15 years old.

Importing a vehicle - Transport Canada
Old Oct 28th 2017, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

This is the official memorandum
Memorandum D19-12-1 - Importation of Vehicles

Basically for a vehicle from the EU it has to be either brand new and manufactured to meet the CMVSS or over 15 years old.

Importing a vehicle - Transport Canada
Yes, the car is an EU model, and it's built for traffic on the right hand side, steering wheel on the left.

I am of the opinion that in this case I would be able to import the vehicle, as it is older than 15 years, and would fall under this regulation:

"The following circumstances allow people to import vehicles from a country other than the United States:

The vehicle is 15 years old or older, based on the month and year of its manufacture, it belongs to a regulated class of vehicle under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (the Act) and is not a bus. "