Reload this Page >

Possible job offer in Kitchener

Possible job offer in Kitchener

Old Oct 24th 2017, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

advent25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible job offer in Kitchener

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and would be grateful for some advice. I have an informal job offer in Kitchener so should I decide to take the job, myself hubby and 2 daughters (aged 8 and 10) will relocate from mid-Feb.

I am trying to research areas to live. Hubby won't have job so he will have to job hunt once we get there so there is a chance his job could be in Toronto.

Was hoping for a few suggestions on where to live between Toronto and Kitchener that is easily commutable. On our priority is good schools for the girls as any area will need to have good schools.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by advent25; Oct 24th 2017 at 4:09 pm. Reason: wrong word
Old Oct 24th 2017, 4:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possible job offer in Kitchener

You are legally allowed to work in Canada, or do you need to have a permit?
Old Oct 24th 2017, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi, my company will sort out all the immigration so will be legally working in Canada.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 5:29 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by advent25
Hi, my company will sort out all the immigration so will be legally working in Canada.
Wondered, as you stated it was an 'informal offer'. In most circumstances they have to try and hire a Canadian, or a PR first and demonstrate why they were unable to recruit in Canada to have a chance of a LMIA approval (for jobs where it is required).
Old Oct 24th 2017, 5:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and would be grateful for some advice. I have an informal job offer in Kitchener so should I decide to take the job, myself hubby and 2 daughters (aged 8 and 10) will relocate from mid-Feb.

I am trying to research areas to live. Hubby won't have job so he will have to job hunt once we get there so there is a chance his job could be in Toronto.

Was hoping for a few suggestions on where to live between Toronto and Kitchener that is easily commutable. On our priority is good schools for the girls as any area will need to have good schools.

Thanks in advance
Toronto and Kitchener is not an ideal split of locations. I think the way to go, if one were certain of the jobs, would be to move to the far west end of the Lakeshore GO line and have the Toronto worker commute by train while the Kitchener worker drives. That requires that the Toronto job be right downtown and means that neither parent is well located for the children, doctors appointments and the like would require a nanny. The other option would be to live near one job, I know people who live in Kitchener and work in Toronto and people who live in Toronto and commute to Kitchener. The latter is easier but, having done it, I wouldn't do it again.

I think you need to know where the job in Toronto would be. If it requires commuting by car, as the Kitchener job will, then you have a choice of cheaper locations than those serviced by transit. I have to say I don't envy you, a job in Kitchener and one in Guelph or Brampton would be more manageable.

What sort of location would you like if you had the choice? How urban, or not?
Old Oct 24th 2017, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

It would depend also on what hubby does... maybe he's in IT which would then mean he should hopefully pick up a job in Kitchener.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 2:47 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks in advance
There's quite a lot of work around Waterloo-Kitchener.

Personally I'd head there to live as it is a nice place by most standards and I'm sure your husband could get something there.

Why ruin your quality of life with ridiculous commutes.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 6:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks all for your responses...seems the whole family settling and living in Kitchener makes the most sense!
Old Oct 25th 2017, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with it all.

My boss is moving our offices from Orangeville to Kitchener so might see you around.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 2:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Does he by any chance happen to be a Database Architect looking to get his feet wet in the Canadian market by taking on a contract which might be done remotely and which wouldn't occupy him fulltime?
Old Oct 25th 2017, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
Does he by any chance happen to be a Database Architect looking to get his feet wet in the Canadian market by taking on a contract which might be done remotely and which wouldn't occupy him fulltime?
Maybe he's a .net developer in which case we may need him!
Old Oct 26th 2017, 7:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your kind job offer but he is not an IT guy :-)
Old Oct 26th 2017, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Quick follow on question if I may! I understand Mississauga is easily commutable to Toronto but what is the commute like from Mississauga to Kitchener? via train or road? just considering whether this could be the middle ground!
Old Oct 26th 2017, 12:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Quick follow on question if I may! I understand Mississauga is easily commutable to Toronto but what is the commute like from Mississauga to Kitchener? via train or road? just considering whether this could be the middle ground!
There's no train option. Kitchener and Toronto are connected by a train but it's set up for commuting to Toronto. Generally trains are not a viable option in Ontario even for commuting; hence the appeal of places on the Lakeshore GO line, that's the one reasonable service outside the range of the TTC.

I commuted from Mississauga Road to central Kitchener for a while in the 1980s. It was an hour and a quarter of tedious but uneventful motorway driving each way. I did it one or two days a week which was ok. I'm now working in Guelph, lots of people commute to here from Brampton and northern Mississauga, usually in car share arrangements. They're often very late as they come along highway 401 and it's very prone to traffic and closures for collisions.

Be aware that Mississauga south of the QEW is old "American Beauty" style suburbia, north of the QEW is largely a featureless wasteland of housing projects built on farmland and so devoid of vegetation. I wouldn't take my children to birthday parties up there for fear of not being able to find my way out of the projects.

(Is the .net person now wanted in Hamilton? If so, something might be done).
Old Oct 26th 2017, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33

(Is the .net person now wanted in Hamilton? If so, something might be done).
No, several .nets will be needed in Kitchener... big company growth so we're moving the office from Orangeville to Kitchener which is closer for me...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.