Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Seeking employment in BC/Canada

Seeking employment in BC/Canada

Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:14 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Seeking employment in BC/Canada

Hi Everyone,

Im wanting to apply for PR once July comes around. Getting PR will be all well and good but I would hope to try and get employment in Canada in the meantime so when the PR comes through a job is lined up and ready to go.

Has anyone had any experince trying to get employment in Canada while still being in the UK?

Did it turn out well or did not work out?, is the a way of going about it?

IE is it an idea to start networking and then from these contacts making enquirys or just sending unsolcited enquirys with a resume/cv?

Has anyone secured a job before going or did you have to get some cash behind you and find work when you got there?

All advice, opinions, tips, information would be gratly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seeking employment in BC/Canada

Presume you're aware that the list of eligible occupations for Skilled Workers is due to change in July? Which job would you be applying under? Fingers crossed it's still on there for you!

There is a really good section of the Wiki all about job hunting which tells you how to go about it, so grab a cuppa and have a read of that.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 9:50 am

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Seeking employment in BC/Canada

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Presume you're aware that the list of eligible occupations for Skilled Workers is due to change in July? Which job would you be applying under? Fingers crossed it's still on there for you!

There is a really good section of the Wiki all about job hunting which tells you how to go about it, so grab a cuppa and have a read of that.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the swift reply , I'm aware of the July NOC change so fingers crossed its still there

I have browsed the wiki but was interested in people's first hand experience of getting work in BC or Canada in general. I think with the current economics A prearranged job would be advantageous but how easy is it to get that job if your not in Canada ?

Last edited by Mikeypm; Jun 13th 2012 at 9:57 am. Reason: Typo
Old Jun 13th 2012, 10:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Thanks for the swift reply , I'm aware of the July NOC change so fingers crossed its still there

I have browsed the wiki but was interested in people's first hand experience of getting work in BC or Canada in general. I think with the current economics A prearranged job would be advantageous but how easy is it to get that job if your not in Canada ?
Ah, ok, I didn't think you'd seen the Wiki as you were asking about sending unsolicited enquiries with a resume versus networking.

Plenty of forum members have managed it, but of course it will depend on how in demand their job is. Hopefully those that have done it will be along with some advice for you - don't forget that most people that get a job offer before moving go over on TWP's, and you should find it easier than that to find work as you'll be employment authorised already and won't need the employer to do the LMO application etc.

And don't forget that once you've got PR, you've got plenty of time to find work before moving, although obviously that's a year or so away, and goodness only knows what the economic climate will be like by then!

Good luck.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 10:16 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I secured a job from the UK, but it was only after flying out to Alberta and seeing people face to face.
Getting a job offer from a company prepared to do the LMO isnt that easy, so you're unlikely to get much response if sit at home and wait for responses.

For me, it turned out great. Moving here was a great career move, but until PR comes through, being on a TWP can be a bit stressful.

All the best!
Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by jericho
I secured a job from the UK, but it was only after flying out to Alberta and seeing people face to face.
Getting a job offer from a company prepared to do the LMO isnt that easy, so you're unlikely to get much response if sit at home and wait for responses.

For me, it turned out great. Moving here was a great career move, but until PR comes through, being on a TWP can be a bit stressful.

All the best!
Thanks for your advice, so is it worth me sorting out a few trips and trying to line up some meetings?

Thanks

Mike
Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it will just depend on how in demand your job is in BC. I am in BC and can't so much get an interview anywhere these days.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I think it will just depend on how in demand your job is in BC. I am in BC and can't so much get an interview anywhere these days.
If you dont mind me asking?, what job/trade to you do?

Thanks

Mike
Old Jun 14th 2012, 12:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johw Wright
If you have decent skills you cant try work as freelance writer.
Can I get teached that somewhere?
Old Jun 14th 2012, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
Can I get teached that somewhere?
lol
Old Jun 14th 2012, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If you dont mind me asking?, what job/trade to you do?

Thanks

Mike
6 years in Hospitality (front desk, night auditor) and 6 years in Aviation (operations/weight balance mostly with some customer service.)
Old Jun 14th 2012, 8:34 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

6 years in Hospitality (front desk, night auditor) and 6 years in Aviation (operations/weight balance mostly with some customer service.)
have you tried Tumbler Ridge or Fort St John? They're looking for labour up there.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
have you tried Tumbler Ridge or Fort St John? They're looking for labour up there.
No. I have to stay in the lower mainland due to an ongoing health concerns, and need to stay within an hour of VGH.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 10:41 pm

So is the work not there or is just knowing the right people?

I work in claims/insurance and from researching there appears to be work out there
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

So is the work not there or is just knowing the right people?

I work in claims/insurance and from researching there appears to be work out there
There just isn't much work in the city I am currently in, and virtually nothing in the industries I have experience in....

We have one of the higher unemployment rates in the region, around 8% last I saw.