Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How often does one shovel snow in the GTA?

How often does one shovel snow in the GTA?

Old Jun 13th 2012, 6:56 am
Just Joined

ralf12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How often does one shovel snow in the GTA?

I know that snow may be on the ground for most of the winter, but how often does it actually snow?
How many times a week must one go outside and shovel snow?
How much easier is it to use a snow blower?
How much does snow removal cost?
Just trying to figure out if it is going to be easier living in a condo townhouse, where snow removal is included in the fees.

Last edited by ralf12; Jun 13th 2012 at 7:00 am.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of
Default Re: How often does one shovel snow in the GTA?

Originally Posted by ralf12
I know that snow may be on the ground for most of the winter, but how often does it actually snow?
Just trying to figure out if it is going to be easier living in a condo townhouse, where snow removal is included in the fees.
I had a little giggle at this one!

But in all honesty it changes year to year. Depends on where in the GTA. There is a lake effect, that makes a little difference. My sister had to clear the snow off her roof one year due to heavy snowfall. 5 years ago my mom had it snow up to the top of her back door, she opened it up to a solid wall. I have never had a snowblower....i have a hubby and a shovel :-)
Old Jun 13th 2012, 8:18 am
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it true that you are required to clear the snow from all the sidewalk in front of your house?

Is so, don't get a corner house, lol.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Is it true that you are required to clear the snow from all the sidewalk in front of your house?

It was true when I lived there, there were these stupid reminder ads on tv stating you had to have it all clear within a certain amount of time after the snowfall or you'd be subject to fine - and if you lived alone and were out at work, well I guess that was your problem.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ralf12
They have good and bad winters in the GTA. Sometimes, like the last one, they get hardly any snow at all and others will feel like you are living in Siberia. It can be depressing when you get another snow dump with no thaw in between and it feels like "where the hell am I going to put this shit?"

If snow is an issue for you, why don't you just buy a condo apartment? You won't have to worry about shifting snow at all and your car will be parked underground.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 10:32 am
Account Closed

Where WOULD you put all that snow if you lived on a court? You have about 5 or 6 houses all facing each other in a horse-shoe shape with pretty small from gardens

If you try and shovel the snow from the road so you can get to work, the only place would be your driveway.... where your car lives.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 10:45 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, for Hamilton area anyway you must clear the snow from the sidewalk(s) that abut your property line within 24 hours and in addition remove any ice or snow from roofs that overhang the sidewalk. (You also have to clear a pathway to your mailbox and front door if you want your post or newspaper). Disposal of the snow can't be onto the road, so when it's a bad snowfall year you end up with a mountain in your front garden.

It's pretty much a standard bylaw I believe.

I didn't buy a corner lot for that very reason, lol.

As to the OP's questions, shovelling wet snow is not fun, shovelling rock hard frozen snow is even less.. buy a snowblower! There is the option of paying the local kids to clear - last winter I paid $10 to have my 60' frontage and a path to my front door (about another 60ft), well worth it.

Edit: Here's a few pictures from about 3 years ago at my old house... one day's snow fall!
Attached Thumbnails How often does one shovel snow in the GTA?-100_0277.jpg   How often does one shovel snow in the GTA?-100_1439-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 13th 2012 at 11:13 am.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Where WOULD you put all that snow if you lived on a court? You have about 5 or 6 houses all facing each other in a horse-shoe shape with pretty small from gardens

If you try and shovel the snow from the road so you can get to work, the only place would be your driveway.... where your car lives.
The term you looking for is pie shaped lot!

The snow just has to go up the way, on top of the stuff already on your grass. You must have experienced this problem in Glasgow, winter 2010 and 2011? That was as bad as I've experienced over there.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
The term you looking for is pie shaped lot!

The snow just has to go up the way, on top of the stuff already on your grass. You must have experienced this problem in Glasgow, winter 2010 and 2011? That was as bad as I've experienced over there.
Surely you know that we don't shovel snow in Glasgow, we just try and walk or drive over it, then call in to work saying we can't make it because the car is stuck

Funny thing is, I had a big-ass Pajero 4x4 during that snow..... and I work from home

The "Pie-shaped lot" term annoys me. It should be a "slice of pie shaped lot"
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:41 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP....not as often as you would if you were to reside in Ottawa/Gatineau

Snowblower some say? It's just a waste of money and you have to find storage for it. You've got to love it when people open their garage doors and it's just full of crap right up to the brim.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:46 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner

Snowblower some say? It's just a waste of money and you have to find storage for it. You've got to love it when people open their garage doors and it's just full of crap right up to the brim.
A snowblower is not a waste of money when you cannot physically shovel anymore.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver residents have no interest in this thread for numerous reasons
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:00 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Vancouver residents have no interest in this thread for numerous reasons
Yeah...it's all umbrellas and wellies innit?

The life of Reily
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:08 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner

I don't have a blower. I do have neighbours that are nice, or owe me favours. The bad stuff disappears all by itself.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the winter. Last winter was relatively mild and there wasn't much snow. Also, if you live in an apartment building, you might not have to shovel any snow at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.