Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Security threats!!!

Security threats!!!

Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:08 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Security threats!!!

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
I thought that happened to everyones application...

LOL.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liana
I will not be looking forward to flying long distance flights back and forth to the UK - I accept that we cannot take gels/liquids on board but I always need my bottle of water- drink little and often on the flight to prevent dehydration and a little at a time means I don't have to use those disgusting bathrooms too much . Can we take our paperbacks etc to read- from the news this morning it seems as if only personal ID info/money/passports/sanitary items for women and children, not even our electronic car key device, would be allowed; OK I shall have to take a taxi to the airport. Why are they dealing with the symptoms yet do not seem to be able to get rid of the actual problem?. I can't imagine this would have a greater effect on anyone applying for permits.The countries we are all living in embrace all cultures- unlike the countries many of these immigrants actually come from. I never got over the mosque going up in a beautiful historical and architectural place in Regents Park when living in Saudi Arabia meant no churches because they were banned.
Water they sell on the plane anyway, magazines, books etc I doubt would be a problem.

Electronic key rings yes, same with garage zappers etc. The insurgents have been using these for bombs in Iraq. Even pringle boxes....so don't be surprised if they confisicate them either.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
The insurgents
Do you mean the Americans or the people who live there ?
Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:33 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Water they sell on the plane anyway, magazines, books etc I doubt would be a problem.

Electronic key rings yes, same with garage zappers etc. The insurgents have been using these for bombs in Iraq. Even pringle boxes....so don't be surprised if they confisicate them either.
back in Da Nang in 68, Charlie used discarded Coke Cans as home made grenades
Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:34 pm
Banned

Lees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud of

I had to fly back to england on the day of the london bombings.

I have never been afraid like i was on that flight and so far they seem to be taking better steps this time than they did that day.

There will always be an eliment of fear on a plane but for the sake of hand lugguage i would rather know that i am getting there without a threat of hi-jack or bombing.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lees147
I had to fly back to england on the day of the london bombings.

I have never been afraid like i was on that flight and so far they seem to be taking better steps this time than they did that day.
I flew to La Guardia on 911 (at least I was in the air, en route, there was some disruption and we never got there). I eventually drove and went to the site when it still smelled. I had no fear on a plane then, nor do I now. The risk is tiny. Crossing the road is the sort of thing one should fear, not flying.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I flew to La Guardia on 911 (at least I was in the air, en route, there was some disruption and we never got there). I eventually drove and went to the site when it still smelled. I had no fear on a plane then, nor do I now. The risk is tiny. Crossing the road is the sort of thing one should fear, not flying.
They say the risk is more crossing the road than flying, is generally people don't do it everyday. If you fly every day, or every week, etc, your chances are much higher of being in an air crash or a victim of a hijack.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

They say the risk is more crossing the road than flying, is generally people don't do it everyday. If you fly every day, or every week, etc, your chances are much higher of being in an air crash or a victim of a hijack.
You'd need to take a hell of a lot of flights - isn't it one in a million or so?!

1 in 3,000 risk of car crash per journey iirc, you're going to die on the way to the airport, not in a plane incident

Last edited by Biiiiink; Aug 10th 2006 at 4:00 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
You'd need to take a hell of a lot of flights - isn't it one in a million or so?!

1 in 3,000 risk of car crash per journey iirc, you're going to die on the way to the airport, not in a plane incident
I fly every week or two, so my chances are probably alot higher on the flight angle. I also drive alot so my chances are higher there, only had 3 in my life and they were in the last 5 years. Only one recently.

Death doesn't actually bother me, as long as its quick, the thought of being badly maimed or ending up a vegetable, is more of a concern.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:09 pm
Banned

Lees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud of

Its all very well saying that the chance is slim but it is like i said if i was actually in England and not Canada at the time of the london bombings there would have been a strong possibitly that i would have been on that tube.

Chances were slim but now there is a serious attack on the 'west'every year. Like i said if every year people are exposed in a persons lifetime that is say 70 trips to and from england chances are increased and like i said for the sake of what? A pair of underwear, water or a book? I'ld rather have the security.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Lees147
Its all very well saying that the chance is slim but it is like i said if i was actually in England and not Canada at the time of the london bombings there would have been a strong possibitly that i would have been on that tube.
Oh don't be hysterical. You weren't on that tube and even if you had been you would likely have survived. If that level of risk panics you you had best avoid bicycling, use of power tools, barbecuing and, at all costs, sex.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:15 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do you mean the Americans or the people who live there ?
"One man's freedom fighter is anothers' terrorist." Yah man.

Personally I consider the US to be the insurgents, attacking with military force a foreign nation/state. I believe I am correct in holdingthat view...

Wikipedia describes it thus:
"An insurgency is an armed uprising, revolt, or insurrection against an established civil or political authority. Persons engaging in insurgency are called insurgents, and typically engage in regular or guerrilla combat against the armed forces of the established regime, or conduct sabotage and harassment in the land".

War - it's really quite mental.

Rich.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:23 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I'm just so glad I left that stinking hell hole of a country (Y.UK) waaaaaay back when....the overt and hidden racism, severe divisions of and within society, mistrust, paranoia, media generated aggravation, spin games and general misery and unhappiness, the ranting masses, the disenfranchised subclasses, the never ending misery portrayed on Y.UK news, the rag tag tabloid filth, the brutality and cruelty of Y.UK society, the warm coddling embrace of T.Bliars social security blanket, the masses of criminals, no hopers, cheats, liars and pimps invading the country like a diseased army, the lack of laws and enforcement of 'good behaviour', the low morals, the apathy towards crime and punishment, the ranting frothing at the mouth crazed hook handed mullahs, the preaching of death, blood shed and destruction, etc.

Ever likely people are stressed out.

Times like this and news such as this reminds me, I may live in a place that has some faults, but jeez it's a complete paradise compared to back there.

It's a karma thing innit.

Rich.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Rich_007
"One man's freedom fighter is anothers' terrorist." Yah man.

Personally I consider the US to be the insurgents, attacking with military force a foreign nation/state. I believe I am correct in holdingthat view...

Wikipedia describes it thus:
"An insurgency is an armed uprising, revolt, or insurrection against an established civil or political authority. Persons engaging in insurgency are called insurgents, and typically engage in regular or guerrilla combat against the armed forces of the established regime, or conduct sabotage and harassment in the land".

War - it's really quite mental.

Rich.
Obviously, that misusage irks me. We don't call aboriginal Canadians "insurgents", nor the residents of India during the Raj, nor black Africans during apartheid. It may be that conquering Iraq is a reasonable and prudent step for western governments but it seems unnecessarilly rude to call people "insurgents" while they're in their homes and we're bombing them back to the stone age.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 4:24 pm
Banned

At the end of the day I would rather not get blown up I don't give a sh*t about whether the risk is high or not if you were planning to fly to america this week just considor yourself *****ing lucky because they believe 10 planes were targeted thats 2000 people! This is also assuming that the damn plane don't land on anybody.

I aint afraid of flying but at the same time I can see the requirement to improve security that ugly woman who asks you 'did you pack your bags yourself' just doesn't cut it.

Don't forget that today the statistics might be low but whats stopping them from doing this once a week if we don't improve security.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.