Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Scottish Electrician to Ontario for a year?

Scottish Electrician to Ontario for a year?

Old Dec 4th 2011, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Caldec01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Scottish Electrician to Ontario for a year?

Hi guys

Does anyone have any info on what licences/certificates id have to try and obtain and if i can do so in the uk beforehand to go about trying to do this, or even the best way to go about it.
In summary I'm time served/approved/2391/17th edition here but i know thats gibberish in Canadian terms. I'm a construction electrician mainly (done tv and shipyard stuff too but I've seen through other posts that its specific types in Canada now). My wifes a nurse too and basically we were wanting to move to Ontario for a year initially with the potential of relocating permanently if the year went well.

Anywho any info anyone could provide about trying to get certificates etc would be seriously appreciated.

Thanks

Craig
Old Dec 4th 2011, 8:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Electrician to Ontario for a year?

Hi, and welcome to BE.

The first question is what visa do you plan to go over on? That needs to be your first step.

Then to work as an electrican I believe you need something called the 'Red Seal' - a quick search of the Wiki or forum should give you more info.

Good luck.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 5:27 am
Just Joined

Hi

Thank-you for that, I've seen a few folk mention it before and tried to look into it but I'm not sure if i can obtain it in the UK before i head over. We were looking at the possibility of the International Experience Canada once it opens for 2012 visa wise. I was also unsure if the red seal is the only requirement as in the UK we abide by a set of wiring regulations that are updated/ammended every so often. Not too sure if the red seal covers that too.

Thanks again, C
Old Dec 5th 2011, 8:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caldec01
Hi

Thank-you for that, I've seen a few folk mention it before and tried to look into it but I'm not sure if i can obtain it in the UK before i head over. We were looking at the possibility of the International Experience Canada once it opens for 2012 visa wise. I was also unsure if the red seal is the only requirement as in the UK we abide by a set of wiring regulations that are updated/ammended every so often. Not too sure if the red seal covers that too.

Thanks again, C
Are you Irish then? Just that from your profile you are too old for the UK IEC program.

I think you need to get Red Seal once you get to Canada, not sure it would be worth it for a Working Holiday Visa though, but it depends on if you're prepared to pay and study etc, for such a short period of time. I think it's the only requirement, but that's only from what I've read on the forum, the Wiki and other threads should tell you though.

Good luck.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 5:07 am
Just Joined

Id noticed that last night looking further into it, i saw 18-35 but when i clicked into it i saw UK was 18-30, my birthdays 29th nov so I'm a wk late, or 12 years depending on how you look at it!

Thanks again anyway for the help, think ill need to look into the federal skilled worker visa and approach from that angle.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome fellow Weegie

Your two basic options for working over there seem to be:

FSW2 Temporary work permit, which requires a job offer (very hard to get from this country)

FSW1 Permanent Resident Visa, which you OR your wife could apply for

Both will take anywhere from 1 to 2 years unfortunately.

So why Ontario?, in fact, why Canada?
Old Dec 7th 2011, 9:02 am
Just Joined

didnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to beholddidnotbother is a splendid one to behold

You will have to have your C&G or Scottish equivalents assessed and then they are valid in Canada for six months. After which and during in that time, you will have to challenge the Inter Provincial Red Seal exam for your trade.

Where in turn you will have to prove around 9000 hours experience excluding classroom time but including site time. It will enable you to work in most Provinces and Terrortories in Canada, and its with you for life. Except in Ontario, where I've heard you have to pay to have it renewed every three years.

They use the Canadian electrical code over there CEC, which is revised every three years and is available for immediate download from the Canadian Standards Association (CSA), similiar to the British Standards (BS) for around CA $200.00. The wiring system over there differs somewhat from Britain and the rest of the world. No ringmains, and a totaly different terminology for everday work methods and practices including working with different common voltages of 120v, 208v, 240v, and 380v-470v, all at 60 hz.

Not much work over there at the moment, and the Labour market opinions tend to favour Canadians and not migrants. I expect it will be like that for a few years to come. Like the other poster says FSW 1 will be your best bet. If you apply now and gather all the documentation incuding the English test ha ha It will take around two years, and once you have the visa just go over and get it implemented and then look fo a job.

But don't burn your bridges over here just yet, stick with what you've got and wait for the permanent resident visa to come through. That way you can come back and forth as often as you like. If you go on a temporary visa and you come back except for a holiday, your visa will expire and you will have to start over again.

The energy consulting company where I carry out contract work and have just finished a contract with down in the Falklands. Have also got surveyors working for them in Canada and the rest of the world for other oil and gas companies. Are at the moment laying off more workers again, and most of them are on temporary work permits in Canada and are having to go back home. I am semi retired and carry out contract work as a surveyor in the oil and gas industry for an energy consulting company. And I have been looking at the personnel criteria for skilled trades in Canada in the oil and gas industry. Some very interesting reading indeed, infact somewhat conflicting with the same trades that are hired in other countries by the same company requesting the same level of skill.

They asked me a while back if I would be interested in a new job in the recruiting section to help create a department for foreign workers wanting to work in Canada and the rest of the world. In the oil and gas industry at all skill levels, so I am currently thinking about it. Amongst other things I have told them that I am only interested if they set up the department in the UK, as I don't want to live in Canada but will consider working there again in the short term. Then if and when it gets going, I will return to my surveying job.

Anyway all the best with your application, and stay away from the con men adverts that state "work in Canada, Oz, NZ, SA, USA". It will cost you a fortune and you won't get any where. You don't need to use them to fill in the forms for you, and the Canadian government don't favour them over self represented applications.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much guys, i know its not an easy/cheap process so basically whilst I'm in work here i was wanting to know what certs/licences were required as its quite hard navigating round google to find out as it throws up hundreds of different answers. The 9000 hours thing isn't a problem as i was with the company i served my time with for 10 years and I've only been out of work for 6 months fortunately since my time began because i took it out to travel asia.
I was looking around to see if i could acquire licenses here as to be honest I'm not expecting to turn up with my UK qualifications and them to be blown away cause I'm from a different country, thats why i was hoping to sit it here then hopefully hit the ground running so to speak but from what i can gather id have to sit the red seal in Canada. Thanks again as i say i really appreciate your time and help.

Dave- I've been to canada 4 times and have really close friends there in Ontario, well just outside in Orillia. Travelled for a month in 2009 from West-East including a 54 hour Bus journey from edmunton... was fun.. But i pretty much just love the place from hockey to Tim Hortons to the people in general. I see from your Blog your waiting on a reply to move permanently too. All the best with it and i hope your enjoying pumpkin pie and cool whip before you know it!