Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Schools - Fraser Institute Report

Schools - Fraser Institute Report

Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools - Fraser Institute Report

Originally Posted by Shard
In vast majority of cases, that is precisely what happens. Perhaps not necessarily the closest school, but one of the local schools nonetheless.
If that is the case, then why is the school district such a prominent feature of property adverts?
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:08 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
If that is the case, then why is the school district such a prominent feature of property adverts?
The same reason a scruffy backyard is a blank canvas. Real estate marketing!

Obviously some parents are highly focussed on a particular school (and rightly so) but I think by and large Novo's assessment is accurate. Certainly not misleading.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Just to answer the OP's original question. Many schools in Calgary simply aren't in the FI reports because they are K-3 or k-4 and they have to be K-6 to fit into the FI reporting. The do Provincial acheivment tests in 3 and 6 and without both those they don't fit into the rubric.

Personally, of the areas you mention, i am not sure I would go to the areas with brand news schools. These are all huge and over subscribed; consequently it can be tough on kids. Here, and this is quite alien to people in UK, they often mix the classes up entirely every year. At one of those big schools an aquaitances daughter was not only put into a Gr1 class with none of her friends from KG, she was also shifted to be at differnt recess and lunchtimes, so she never set eyes on her old friends in school again that year.

I would consider one of the slightly older areas slightly further in
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:04 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone accepts this. It's the desire to have one's children educated alongside affluent children who are fluent in the language of instruction that drives the house price differential. My point is just that this is the same competition that one would see in London or NYC. It's misleading to suggest that people in Canada just choose a house they like and then pack their progeny off to whichever school is on the block.
I don't agree - this is a Toronto thing not a Canada thing.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:06 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

The same reason a scruffy backyard is a blank canvas. Real estate marketing!
+1.

Houses around here go for 1M + - school results aren't that good, but (some) realtors talk about it anyway.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:58 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
11plus still going in LB Sutton and RB Kingston in UK! Daughter was at prestigious grammar school after passing said exam.

My parents were mortified that we sent her to a "DTES" high school when we gut here!

If its such a crap school why can't I afford a house on the road by it?

Anyway - principals and honours list , graduated and at uni - a grades ATM, but she is at Cap, if she moves to SFU or UBC she may drop a little!

Son now at said crap school - outstanding film maker and editor and only just 14!
Sorry east van s chill but not DtEs
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:31 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone accepts this. It's the desire to have one's children educated alongside affluent children who are fluent in the language of instruction that drives the house price differential. My point is just that this is the same competition that one would see in London or NYC. It's misleading to suggest that people in Canada just choose a house they like and then pack their progeny off to whichever school is on the block.
But, if schools reflect the socio/economic status of their intake (which seems to be incontrovertible) surely this is the best way for a new immigrant to make sure their progeny get into a suitable school.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:48 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
But, if schools reflect the socio/economic status of their intake (which seems to be incontrovertible) surely this is the best way for a new immigrant to make sure their progeny get into a suitable school.
As long as those immigrants know their place and don't get uppity and start wanting to get their kids into better schools than their socio/economic status deserves.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:51 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Most immigrants find housing they can afford. Canada isn't Monaco, most emigrate here because they're poor.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have thought people would want to send their children to schools in more affluent areas than where they can afford to live and, in the case of immigrants, there'd be a particular need to do so in order to get the children into a school where many students have English (or French) as a first language. That's why the buses from Scarborough to Toronto are full of kids in the morning, their parents have hyped them into schools in the Beach. I'm sure Vancouver has poor immigrant areas and that parents there try to get their kids into schools in other neighbourhoods where there's money and non-immigrant students.

I suppose it depends to what degree immigrant parents want to see their children adopt local customs, if fluency in English isn't primarily important and especially if there's a concern about potential loss of religion or other customs, then, yes, the local school is probably the suitable one. In our case, it was the other way around, we had to send the children to a school in another district to have the best chance that they not go native.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:04 pm

I'd have thought people would want to send their children to schools in more affluent areas than where they can afford to live and, in the case of immigrants, there'd be a particular need to do so in order to get the children into a school where many students have English (or French) as a first language. That's why the buses from Scarborough to Toronto are full of kids in the morning, their parents have hyped them into schools in the Beach. I'm sure Vancouver has poor immigrant areas and that parents there try to get their kids into schools in other neighbourhoods where there's money and non-immigrant students.

I suppose it depends to what degree immigrant parents want to see their children adopt local customs, if fluency in English isn't primarily important and especially if there's a concern about potential loss of religion or other customs, then, yes, the local school is probably the suitable one. In our case, it was the other way around, we had to send the children to a school in another district to have the best chance that they not go native.
It's like you're talking about a different country, honestly.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:08 pm

I'm trying to remember - is it you that has the kid at UBC? Was it disappointing to you that she just ended up at a cradle uni not a prestigious US one?
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Speechless
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:40 pm

Speechless
Well, if one, as a british immigrant, aspires to overcome one's humble beginnings and scale the ladder of society, the last thing one would do is send one's progeny to a local cradle-infested education establishment. That would never do.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Well, if one, as a british immigrant, aspires to overcome one's humble beginnings and scale the ladder of society, the last thing one would do is send one's progeny to a local cradle-infested education establishment. That would never do.
and before everyone goes oooh kiwilass is mean I'm totally kidding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.