Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Schools - Fraser Institute Report

Schools - Fraser Institute Report

Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools - Fraser Institute Report

Originally Posted by Shard
That sounds so graphic. Much prefer something like Gods waiting room or live out their sunset years.

Isn't Victoria more affordable than Vancouver for property? Ok, much less jobs, but I would have thought it's attractive for some priced-out young Vancouver families who mostly want the sea and climate?
Probably a lot more turnover.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:08 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
way less work opportunities in Victoria and you can't commute to Van from there, so no.
Depends what kind of work you're looking for. Just like saying Calgary has way more work opportunities and higher salaries.

I wouldn't say you can't commute, when I lived there 50% of my work was in Van and the commute was paid for thru work. Most stay away from the island 'cus it's an island and if you have to pay for the commute, it's costly. Every 5 to 10 years the bridge thing comes up then dies an ugly death.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:12 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Depends what kind of work you're looking for. Just like saying Calgary has way more work opportunities and higher salaries.

I wouldn't say you can't commute, when I lived there 50% of my work was in Van and the commute was paid for thru work. Most stay away from the island 'cus it's an island and if you have to pay for the commute, it's costly. Every 5 to 10 years the bridge thing comes up then dies an ugly death.
I stand by what I said.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:35 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
I stand by what I said.
Uh, ok - just a different opinion. You can sit down now.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:37 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Uh, ok - just a different opinion. You can sit down now.
I wouldn't like the commute to Vancouver every day. Even on the float plane it's a lengthy trip - unless you live on the doorstep of the terminal. Otherwise it's 1hr 35 min on the boat alone - never mind the on andd offing!
Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:23 pm
Up Your Kilt

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I wouldn't like the commute to Vancouver every day. Even on the float plane it's a lengthy trip - unless you live on the doorstep of the terminal. Otherwise it's 1hr 35 min on the boat alone - never mind the on andd offing!
Yeah, it's not the greatest but was just pointing out that it is doable.

Worked on a BC Ferry project - last ferry over to Tsawwassen, nightwork construction then on the first ferry back to the Island, every day. That was a fun one - not.

Also did the float plane commute for a couple of years - fly over, skytrain to a short walk to the office, then stay for the week, then do the reverse home.

Also did the Helijet (fun ride) commute a couple of times as well. Depended on where the meeting was I had to go to.

If I had to choose, I'd rather do that than sit in Vancouver rush hour trying to get to the 'burbs
Old Jan 30th 2013, 9:35 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's not the greatest but was just pointing out that it is doable.

Worked on a BC Ferry project - last ferry over to Tsawwassen, nightwork construction then on the first ferry back to the Island, every day. That was a fun one - not.

Also did the float plane commute for a couple of years - fly over, skytrain to a short walk to the office, then stay for the week, then do the reverse home.

Also did the Helijet (fun ride) commute a couple of times as well. Depended on where the meeting was I had to go to.

If I had to choose, I'd rather do that than sit in Vancouver rush hour trying to get to the 'burbs
I live in the burbs and am home in 25 minutes by transit

Sometimes I bike home, it's nice down by the water
Old Jan 31st 2013, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Ahhhh that makes sense I didn't realise that, thanks gryphea!

Which areas inwards would you pick if you were starting again? I'm having the battle of newer houses (which I like) vs good (and available) schools, they don't seem to sit in the same areas in the NW?

Cheers

Originally Posted by gryphea
Just to answer the OP's original question. Many schools in Calgary simply aren't in the FI reports because they are K-3 or k-4 and they have to be K-6 to fit into the FI reporting. The do Provincial acheivment tests in 3 and 6 and without both those they don't fit into the rubric.

Personally, of the areas you mention, i am not sure I would go to the areas with brand news schools. These are all huge and over subscribed; consequently it can be tough on kids. Here, and this is quite alien to people in UK, they often mix the classes up entirely every year. At one of those big schools an aquaitances daughter was not only put into a Gr1 class with none of her friends from KG, she was also shifted to be at differnt recess and lunchtimes, so she never set eyes on her old friends in school again that year.

I would consider one of the slightly older areas slightly further in
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBJ14
Ahhhh that makes sense I didn't realise that, thanks gryphea!

Which areas inwards would you pick if you were starting again? I'm having the battle of newer houses (which I like) vs good (and available) schools, they don't seem to sit in the same areas in the NW?

Cheers
They don't. If you want a new house you are either in an area with over subscribed schools (ie Tuscany, Rocky Ride etc) or you get bussed to school and where you get bussed to can change regualrly.

The schools are smaller and have more space further in where the houses are older. One step in from those communities that houses can be dated, full of 1980s oak thats all over the city, werid lighting etc.

IM experience here though the people who want new and don't compromise want everthing else new and so its much more materialistic for the kids at school; this is talking to parents with kids at the schools where clothes, gadgets , electronics, etc seem way more important.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 1:09 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

They don't. If you want a new house you are either in an area with over subscribed schools (ie Tuscany, Rocky Ride etc) or you get bussed to school and where you get bussed to can change regualrly.

The schools are smaller and have more space further in where the houses are older. One step in from those communities that houses can be dated, full of 1980s oak thats all over the city, werid lighting etc.

IM experience here though the people who want new and don't compromise want everthing else new and so its much more materialistic for the kids at school; this is talking to parents with kids at the schools where clothes, gadgets , electronics, etc seem way more important.
...more important than what? There are kids in 2013 that aren't into clothes or electronics? Where?
Old Jan 31st 2013, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

...more important than what? There are kids in 2013 that aren't into clothes or electronics? Where?
OK. So I mean in elementary school, when I say kids.

Certainly where we live kids (elemantary) aren't obsessed with clothes and electronics
Old Jan 31st 2013, 7:13 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

OK. So I mean in elementary school, when I say kids.

Certainly where we live kids (elemantary) aren't obsessed with clothes and electronics
Clothes, understandable? Electronics, really?
Old Jan 31st 2013, 7:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Phones, tablets, laptops, mp3 players, games consoles - it's not that hard to understand kids wanting the same ones their friends have got.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 7:54 pm

yes, really.

In kindergarten it was the DS.

In grade 2 the Ipod touch/Ipad

Grade 3/4 Iphone

Spawn saved allowance for over a year to buy herself an Ipod touch. Now she facetimes her friends on it.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 7:57 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Phones, tablets, laptops, mp3 players, games consoles - it's not that hard to understand kids wanting the same ones their friends have got.
There seems to be a rather self-righteous strain of parenting that loves to denigrate childrens’ preferences about objects as if they’re experts in post-structuralist semiology of consumerism without realizing the ironic hypocrisy of their choices. I think the Amish are rather guilty of this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.