Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Schooling - specifially in theCalgary area.

Schooling - specifially in theCalgary area.

Old Jun 27th 2004, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Karate Kev will become famous soon enoughKarate Kev will become famous soon enough
Default Schooling - specifially in theCalgary area.

Hi everyone.

By now, all the regulars will know we're aiming to immigrate - but it probably won't happen til '06. They'll also know that we have 2 children - Josh and Erin, and by the time we get there, Josh'll probably be 14 and Erin'll probably be 6.

Well, that's the reason for this post - although i'll be visiting the official sites, i like getting the opinions of 'real people' - if you know what i mean.

So, what happens as far as enrolling our kids in school is concerned? And bare in mind Josh's cerebral-palsy - but also bare in mind that he does attend mainstream school, and just about the only help he needs is with his toilet trips and perhaps a little physio every now and then - so his care is pretty minimal.

Opinions please, people.

Take care,

Kev.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 4:17 pm
Glaswegian

I have two kids in elementary school - one who just finished kindergarden (5 years old) and one who has just finished grade 2 (7 years old).

First, your kids would be assessed by the city to decide what grade they'll fit into.

Your daughter would probably fit somewhere around grade 1. Schooling for a 14 year old is far away on the horizon for me, but I think that's probably junior high.

My kids' school is fully inclusive - they'll accept ESL kids and kids with special needs. Other schools may be different.

We picked our house on the basis that it was close to a school we liked - I would suggest that as a good approach. Bear in mind that it can take years for a new community to get a school - if you move to an area without one, your kids will probably have to be bused.

If your son is coded by the city as having special educational needs, the school will be given extra money specifically for him.

Have you visited Calgary yet and have you thought where you might want to live?

The Calgary Board of Education has a good website with profiles and contact information for individual schools:
http://www.cbe.ab.ca/schools/schools.asp

Schools break up on Monday - if I were you, I'd send a few emails out this weekend and see what sort of response you get.

Old Jun 27th 2004, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Karate Kev will become famous soon enoughKarate Kev will become famous soon enough
Default re;

Hi Glaswegian,

We're coming over to check Calgary out next spring - around March/April time - and to be honest, where we settle will mainly depend on where the work is - but we'd obviously like to encompass everything;- nice community, nice people, nice schools, plenty of work, etc. etc.

So come on, tell me all!!!

Where abouts are you? What do you do for work? How long you been there? How hard was it getting the kids into a school? etc. etc. etc.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kev.
Old Jun 27th 2004, 6:08 pm
Glaswegian

We live in Shawnessy in the deep SW, we came to Calgary at the end of 2001 and I work in IT.

Shawnessy is mature - the oldest houses is around 20 years old, houses are still being built. There's plenty of shops, places to eat and a movie theatre nearby.

The company I work for is based downtown and most of the client companies I do work for are downtown too. It takes me about 40 minutes on a good day to drive to work.

It wasn't hard getting the kids into our chosen school - we bought a house 5 minutes away.

IT jobs aren't that easy to get - I know quite a few local IT guys who are out of work. Availability of work depends on what you do.

What do work at?

Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Default re;

I'm a carpenter/joiner by trade - have been since i came out of my apprenticeship over 20 years ago (man, i'm getting old!!!). And i teach martial-arts 3 evenings per week too.

Kev.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 5:36 pm
Glaswegian

There's plenty of building going on here and everything is wooden framed. That's as much as I know.

When we moved here, we were on the edge of the city and could see green fields - not any more we're not! The city is growing at all edges. And there's also all of the small developments just outside the city. And the blocks of condos going up everywhere - anything less than four floors here can legally be built out of wood.

One of the things you get used to here is driving - you can't live in Calgary without a vehicle - work could be anywhere for you!