Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Schooling in Canada

Schooling in Canada

Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

daisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant future
Default Schooling in Canada

Hi, I have a child who is doing GCSE's this year, we are looking to move permanently april/may next year when he will be 17, will he still have to go to school over there or can he look for employment as i know the children leave school at 18 in Canada? I have tried to scource an answer to this question but to no avail. Thanks very much!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling in Canada

Originally Posted by daisychain
Hi, I have a child who is doing GCSE's this year, we are looking to move permanently april/may next year when he will be 17, will he still have to go to school over there or can he look for employment as i know the children leave school at 18 in Canada? I have tried to scource an answer to this question but to no avail. Thanks very much!
Depends on what visa you're on. If it's a TWP, then no, he can't work. If it's PR, then yes he can.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

daisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant future

Hi, thanks for that we will be on pr visas, wasn't sure if he could work what with him being under the school age there.

Thanks
Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:41 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Kids can get jobs from age 14, they can drop out of school as well (I think they have to go to school until Grade 11), but of course this limits the jobs they can get to un-skilled, low paying jobs. It may be worth looking into your son getting his GED to make him more emplyoyable in Canada. I know a man of 40 odd, going for his GED as he is tired of low paying jobs and being first to be laid off when things get tough on the oil patch.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

nfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud ofnfitz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Kids can get jobs from age 14, they can drop out of school as well (I think they have to go to school until Grade 11), but of course this limits the jobs they can get to un-skilled, low paying jobs. It may be worth looking into your son getting his GED to make him more emplyoyable in Canada. I know a man of 40 odd, going for his GED as he is tired of low paying jobs and being first to be laid off when things get tough on the oil patch.
In Quebec at least, you had to stay in school until 16. After that you could do what you please. I assume the other provinces are similiar.

I've never heard of a 17-year old not being able to work based on age. I can't imagine such a thing - seems rather totalitarian!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisychain
High school students in Canada typically graduate with their high school diploma in the month of June in the year that they are 17 years old turning 18. Some kids sometimes "skip a grade" and finish school a year earlier than all their peers. Age isn't the issue here, it's whether or not they have graduated with their high school diploma.

A high school diploma is often the minimum requirement get employment and to get into post-secondary school. (Just to further explain: what marks they achieved in specific high school classes will determine what programs they can enter in at the first-year university level. For example, a student who achieved a 90% average in Math 12, Calculus 12, Physics 12, and Chemistry 12 will be able to start their Bachelors of Science at university later on that year in September. A student who achieved 60% in Math 12 will not be able to unless they achieve a higher mark in Math 12. A student who doesn't take any science classes in the grade 12 level in high school will not be able to enroll in the Science program in a university, but if they achieved high marks in their History, Geography, English, etc. classes in grade 12, they'll be able to go into the Arts program at a university level).

If your son is planning to attend university while in Canada, look up that university's requirements. They should explain what's required from international students. If his current education is enough, then he shouldn't have to attend high school while in Canada. If he's missing requirements, he may have to attend one year of high school (grade 12) which will allow him to graduate with a high school diploma. And depending on what classes he took while in that one year (as well as his marks) it will determine what programs he'll be able to enroll in while beginning university. Every school has different requirements.

I know you weren't asking about post-secondary, but I figure it would be useful to know. If he has what's equivalent to a high school diploma, then he should be able to gain entry-level employment in Canada.

Last edited by Lychee; Feb 1st 2010 at 5:37 pm.