Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Returned to Uk from Canada

Returned to Uk from Canada

Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

tedtrutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Returned to Uk from Canada

Sadly my wife and me had to return back to sunny Wales after a 7 month stint working as a bricklayer in Vancouver, due to circumstances out of our control.
The biggest problem now is all our possessions are in storage in Vancouver, but what I wanted to know is when we come to ship everything back to the UK we have a large quantity of home brew wine............to be precise about 80 bottles or so Does anybody know weather we would have to pay tax on the wine bringing it back to the UK.
Also I wanted to know if it is possible to claim back my 7 months tax I paid in Canada.....I could sure use it now.

If any one can give us any ideas I would love to hear......thanx
Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Matt_Geo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Returned to Uk from Canada

Originally Posted by tedtrutt
Sadly my wife and me had to return back to sunny Wales after a 7 month stint working as a bricklayer in Vancouver, due to circumstances out of our control.
The biggest problem now is all our possessions are in storage in Vancouver, but what I wanted to know is when we come to ship everything back to the UK we have a large quantity of home brew wine............to be precise about 80 bottles or so Does anybody know weather we would have to pay tax on the wine bringing it back to the UK.
Also I wanted to know if it is possible to claim back my 7 months tax I paid in Canada.....I could sure use it now.

Sorry to hear you had to come back, no chance of headed back to Vancouver? There is a 'double taxation law' which means you have to pay tax somewhere, UK or Canada, and I think preference is given to where you earnt your hard earned dollar.

No idea about the home brew mate, my suggestion, throw a big party over in vancouver

All the best with dealing with everything,

Matt
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

You may be able to claim the tax back - and you can claim it back for up to circa 4 yrs I think. I know this as when I work in Ontario (provided I've not worked in UK same year), I use an accountant in Ontario who claims all my tax back for me.

Sorry what I mean is you can claim for some years previous, but dont think you'd get more than a years tax back. I've only ever claimed 4-6 months back but successfully. All I had to do was fill in a form, but I was lazy & got accountant to sort it out. No idea on other regions though, only Ontario
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

File a tax return for 2009 (use the BC tax package) and you may well get some back. Make sure you use the BC package and not the non-resident one.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Have you filed a tax return for Canada? Any adjustments would be made there. It also depends on your status while in Canada. If you were not a deemed tax resident you may be able to get it back, but then you would declare it on a UK tax return and pay tax on the income there.

Re your own brewed wine, you would be better to contact HMRC for a definitive answer. It may be more hassle than it's worth.