Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

School/Kindergarten

School/Kindergarten

Old Oct 28th 2010, 7:01 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: School/Kindergarten

Originally Posted by gryphea
I think Wildwood is a lrage school with mixed catchments.

For me the key is though that your 5/6yr old child will be bussed to school. Loads do it, but I don't like the idea of my babies on those yellow buses with no headrests and no seat belts.

I also think its much easier for both you and the kids to make friends when:
1. the kids get to play with each other/hangout on the playground after school
2. you get to meet and talk to parents

But I've said this before and I get jumped on for it. But then we get all these posts about how people aren't making friends.

Personally these brand new areas are all very nice in terms of swanky houses (and nae knickers), but to me they lack soul and community spirit as everyone is new, they seem to be disporportionately expat (which may suit you), they have few mature trees and they have so many kids that everything becomes an issue (eg getting into preschool, getting skate lessons etc as there is no community rink).

Aspen does have a nice market (Blush Lane). I think all the houses are brown, which gets a bit samey in Calgary.

What are its public transport connections like? That may be an issue for downtown.
Dalhousie would put you in an older neighborhood with an established elementary (West Dalhousie Elementary) and easy access to downtown via LRT.

There's also a junior high (H.D. Cartwright) in the neighborhood and it falls into the catchment area for Sir Winston Churchill High School which some believe to be one of the best high schools in the city.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JennyT
Where do you live gryphea?

We live in North West. In fact some kids at our local school come in out of catchment from Valley Ridge because they don't want them to go to Wildwood.

Like Jings we chose where to live based on the schools. We also live where we do because my OH commutes to work by foot!!!

Lovely house for rent in our community at the mo. I know cos I looked around it 2 years ago. It has a gas cooker!!!
Old Oct 28th 2010, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

JennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really nice

gas cooker would be good, think we have to wait till we get out there before we decide where to stay, what website is that house on? just so i can have a nosey
Old Oct 28th 2010, 7:07 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

We live in North West. In fact some kids at our local school come in out of catchment from Valley Ridge because they don't want them to go to Wildwood.

Like Jings we chose where to live based on the schools. We also live where we do because my OH commutes to work by foot!!!

Lovely house for rent in our community at the mo. I know cos I looked around it 2 years ago. It has a gas cooker!!!
We have a gas cooker. Is that unusual?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JennyT
gas cooker would be good, think we have to wait till we get out there before we decide where to stay, what website is that house on? just so i can have a nosey
Its on rentfaster.

Not many oil company expats round us though. They live in packs round Jings and the near SW and operate as a seamless entity.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
We have a gas cooker. Is that unusual?
Its like golddust.............We have lived in three rentals. No gas and some of the worst cookers known to man.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

JennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really niceJennyT is just really nice

ok thanks for that
Old Oct 28th 2010, 7:12 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Not many oil company expats round us though. They live in packs round Jings and the near SW and operate as a seamless entity.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

andrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the roughandrewjohn is a jewel in the rough

Any decent schools in the south east?
Cheers. calum.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

In Calgary, all the schools are "good." You have to drop the Brit mentality when it comes to schools: either your kids are bright, or they`re not. Sending Johnny Thicko to Eton will just result in an intellectually challenged teenager with a posh accent. It will not turn a road sweep into a rocket scientist.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Oct 28th 2010 at 9:31 pm.