Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

School Catchment Areas

School Catchment Areas

Old Oct 28th 2014, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Lullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond repute
Default School Catchment Areas

Good Morning All,
Me again. You'll be all cursing my posts by the time I get to Canada
I need some help with schooling. Firstly how old are children in Canada when they start full time schooling? My daughter is 5 in February. Secondly for an example if we choose Leaside as an area to live can she go to any school in Leaside or will she have to go to the school in the area in which we live. Many Thanks everyone
Old Oct 28th 2014, 10:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School Catchment Areas

Originally Posted by Lullabell
Good Morning All,
Me again. You'll be all cursing my posts by the time I get to Canada
I need some help with schooling. Firstly how old are children in Canada when they start full time schooling? My daughter is 5 in February. Secondly for an example if we choose Leaside as an area to live can she go to any school in Leaside or will she have to go to the school in the area in which we live. Many Thanks everyone
We won't be cursing your posts as long as you've checked the Wiki first before asking questions.

School Age Categories-Canada : British Expat Wiki
Government-Funded Schools-Canada : British Expat Wiki

There are lots more Wiki articles about schooling in Canada too. HTH.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Lullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond reputeLullabell has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Christmasoompa I'm not the best googler in the world and sometimes it better to ask people
Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lullabell
Thanks Christmasoompa I'm not the best googler in the world and sometimes it better to ask people
No probs. The Wiki has loads of info in though which may well answer some of your questions (i.e. about your daughter's school year), so it's always worth a look there first.

But the beauty of this forum is that there's always somebody willing to try and help if you get stuck and need the answer to a question.

Old Oct 28th 2014, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

We are in SW Ontario and found the catchment areas really strict and adhered to without much leniency. Check out the local school board website which should have catchment area maps for the schools in the area.
Old Oct 29th 2014, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

itsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, We are also in SW Ontario but we found the opposite to Caleo. We made a point of checking the school catchment and making sure we bought within the area for the school we wanted our kids to go to. Since then we have found that we could have bought anywhere and just requested the school we wanted. If a bus is passing nearby and they have room, they even bus the kids from outside the catchment area. The area is one with reducing enrollment and the school is the designated French Immersion school in the area.

The point I am making is research is everything. Don't be afraid to phone up the schools. There are lots of rules in Canada but that does not mean they can't be "adjusted" - every situation is different. If you have school in mind email, or better still phone and ask. Good luck. I know the whole thing feels overwhelming but I have generally found Canadians very willing to help!
Old Oct 31st 2014, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly depends on the area - high schools are far more flexible where we are. Primary schools not so much. we have moved twice have have not had any flexibility with the primary schools. Definite worth speaking to the school board or individual schools before deciding on an area.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

anglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to allanglaisfrancais is a name known to all

Generally catchment areas for elementary schools are pretty strict. But exceptions are made, especially for the schools with a lower intake who have capacity. worth asking individual schools, more likely to get an honest answer that way.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Last week I filled in a transfer request form for elementary school. Printed on the form it said that the school board would usually approve transfer requests if there was space at the school you wanted.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much everyone. Help is really appreciated