School

Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

kevinm will become famous soon enoughkevinm will become famous soon enough
Default School

I have had a quick look at when school terms start but just want to clarify it.

I have 2 daughters, they are aged 3 and 2.
Im trying to work out when they will start school in Canada. I have read its when they are 6.
If my daughter is 6 in the March does that mean she will be starting in the September so she will be 6 1/2 ?

Am I right in saying this is roughly a year behind the UK? This isnt ideal for us due to child care, mainly being Grand Parents who obvioulsy wont be with us.

Also as we have now landed which means out clock is ticking for when we have to be over by.

thanks for any input.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all
Default Re: School

Hi, I'm in Nova Scotia and when we arrived our middle child was 4 and had already started school in the UK. Here she had to go back to playschool, but to be honest it's not done her any harm at all. Our youngest is 5 this October and he'll be starting this September. As long as they turn 5 before the end of December they can start at the beginning of that school year. Check your local school board website for info.

Our eldest would have gone into Year 4 in the UK when we moved, here he went into Grade 3....so the year behind thing is about right.....hope that helps....
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:39 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Which part of the country are you headed as it can vary? We're near Calgary in Alberta and it is different here to what Nicola N-A has stated about her area. With our school board, they need to be 5 by the end of February to start Kindergarten the following September. Therefore, here, kids with birthdays September to February would be in the same school year as they would in the UK. Both mine have September birthdays. My daughter went from Year 2 in the UK straight into Grade 2 here and my son started Kindergarten here when he turned 5, just like he would have started Reception Class had we still been in the UK.

Also, bear in mind that different areas offer different Kindergarten programs. Here is 5 half days a week whereas other areas may offer, say, 2 or 3 full days a week.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 3:43 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

In Ontario JK starts in the fall of the year the kids turn 4, although it may not be full time. My oldest started when she was only 3 due to a birthday late in the year, full days every other day.

After that is SK, then Grade 1, which unlike the two years of kindergarden, is not optional, and is 5 days a week. (Kindergarden hours depend not just from district to district, but schools within boards offer different programs).

Ontario also has a "Best Start" program of childcare for people in a similar position to the OP.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 8th 2011 at 3:46 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Martyn and Wendy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevinm
I have had a quick look at when school terms start but just want to clarify it.

I have 2 daughters, they are aged 3 and 2.
Im trying to work out when they will start school in Canada. I have read its when they are 6.
If my daughter is 6 in the March does that mean she will be starting in the September so she will be 6 1/2 ?

Am I right in saying this is roughly a year behind the UK? This isnt ideal for us due to child care, mainly being Grand Parents who obvioulsy wont be with us.

Also as we have now landed which means out clock is ticking for when we have to be over by.

thanks for any input.
Hi, We also have a 3 year old (aswell as a 7 year old) In uk would I be right in presuming your daughter will have started preschool or be due to start in september? over here (Calgary) its later, my son will be 4 in january which means that he can start kindergarten in september 2012 (because he will be 5 before march 2012) which is 5 sessions per week just like the preschool system in UK, they do have preschool facilities for 2.5/3+ year olds but you have to pay for it, from what i have found out its roughly $180 per month for 2 sessions per week. We have been in the same situation - having to rely on childcare facilities because we have no family or friends here yet. I believe you can claim childcare costs against tax although im not 100% about this its just something ive heard but haven't actually checked it out yet. Good luck