Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Saying hello" and other manners

"Saying hello" and other manners

Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:38 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Saying hello" and other manners

Originally Posted by DaveTheCat
Never thought otherwise. It's just that I, while fully aware of those "culture shock" peculiarities, was thinking that some basic-yet-superficial automatisms (like a ping-ponging "Hello/Hello" and nothing more) were common to all Western cultures.
You should see the expression of disbelief on their faces when I'm being courteous and let someone in or out in traffic; nobody is expecting such gestures and virtually nobody waves back or makes any other sign of saying "Thank you".
Try taking the Union Flag off your car.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

bazza2154 will become famous soon enoughbazza2154 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Souvenir
We had a hire car from Halifax Airport last year with Quebec plates no one wanted to let us out or give way what a difference to the previous year when we had Nova Scotia plates
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rain426
I would be permanently wondering where I knew these people who say hello from

But that's nice to hear. In the UK it seems that if someone says hello to you in the street, you wonder what they want, or whether they are about to steal your wallet.
I was introduced to loads of people when I first arrived here and because of my job (in healthcare and School health) I'm a failry well known face now in the community. I do still occasionally wonder if I've been introduced to some of these people in the past whirlwind days of arrival and have just forgotten!

In fact, I went to visit a new elderly client recently and when I went into the living room a small cherub otherwise known as her grandson turned round and said "Hi Trish!" - turns out one of the kids I see in SK is his little friend. Awww!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Souvenir
...and stick its pole up...?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 4:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in a condo in central Toronto for five years or so. 31 floors of condos, 22 or 23 per floor, say 1.5 people per condo, that's just short of 1,000 people going up and down in the elevator. By the end of our stay I knew and would chat with a half dozen of them, all of whom I'd met in the pub across the road. If there's a custom of people in Toronto speaking to strangers I've not been exposed to it.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they're all immigrants and don't speak the lingo. I mean, "Bonjour" is quite advanced, and you're just showing off ...
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

canuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud of

Maybe it is a Montreal thing? My daughter and I spent a week there and we found people to be rather cold and aloof.
Once back in Victoria we noticed and appreciated how friendly people are here. I can't go for a walk or run without people saying hello. Walk along Dallas Road (right willmore?? ) and you will getots of smiles and Hi's.
We have a great grocery store chain on the island called Thrifty's. Incredible service and lots of smiles.

I do think Victoria is a little more friendly than most places-Vancouver is about midway between Montreal and Victoria on the frienldy meter.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really niceDaveTheCat is just really nice

Originally Posted by ann m
Maybe they're all immigrants and don't speak the lingo. I mean, "Bonjour" is quite advanced, and you're just showing off ...
Yeah, I'll just have to quit strutting around, greeting my neighbours in French
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by canuckgirl
Maybe it is a Montreal thing?
Couldn't tell. I'm in Quebec City.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

little-beauty is on a distinguished road

I can't quite get my head around answering the phone and someone saying "Hi there! and how are you?" without a) having ever contacted you before and b) before even identifying themselves.

If I ask who is it, before saying "I'm GREAT thank you", then I usually sense a modicum of offence.

This doesn't really compute in a cynical British mind

The North American 'How are you?" question lacks any meaning, whatsoever.

LB.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 7:04 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

LB.[/QUOTE]

By the way, how are you?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MCrocker

LB.
By the way, how are you?[/QUOTE]

And, more importantly, how do you do?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

canuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DaveTheCat
Couldn't tell. I'm in Quebec City.
Details, details!
Old Apr 4th 2007, 7:27 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by little-beauty
I can't quite get my head around answering the phone and someone saying "Hi there! and how are you?" without a) having ever contacted you before and b) before even identifying themselves.

If I ask who is it, before saying "I'm GREAT thank you", then I usually sense a modicum of offence.

This doesn't really compute in a cynical British mind

LB.
You are mistaken. In the context of a phone call from a stranger it has a lot of meaning. It means, "I want your money."
Old Apr 4th 2007, 7:28 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
You are mistaken. In the context of a phone call from a stranger it has a lot of meaning. It means, "I want your money."
How are you? (unmarked bills in 50's or less please)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.