Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Saskatoon, any info please

Saskatoon, any info please

Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saskatoon, any info please

Originally Posted by redrosed View Post
If you look on mls.ca and look at areas 1,2 and 3 these seem to be the better areas by all accounts.
At the simplest level, yes. But there are parts of those areas where you wouldn't really want to live, and parts of areas 4 and 5 which are pretty nice and often substantially cheaper than equivalent areas on the other side of town.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

redrosed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
At the simplest level, yes. But there are parts of those areas where you wouldn't really want to live, and parts of areas 4 and 5 which are pretty nice and often substantially cheaper than equivalent areas on the other side of town.
Sorry, was probably over-simplyfying!!! I agree, was just trying to give rough idea.....:embaressed_smile:
Old Oct 13th 2007, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Amber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really nice

Here goes:

Saskatoon is great! It's cold in winter - really cold. Low cost of living means you can save easily. Short, hot summers with lots of mosquitoes. Long, cold winters. Not a lot of snow (it's too cold. that's not a joke) - though by UK standards, a lot of snow. Excellent for utilities, insurance costs - all done through the government company so no choice, but cost is low. Same for phone and internet. There is a housing boom right now so accommodation cost will be more than it was eight months or so ago. Oh, and the winters are cold.

Depending on where in the city you are working, a good place to look for rentals is on 7th St East - at least as a starter while you find somewhere. There are several apartment buildings with 2 bedroom apts. Go towards the eastern end near to McNally Robinson and the Circle Mall (gets crappier as the numbers go down in the other direction). There is also Boardwalk rentals (they have a website I think), which are 2-3 bedroom houses - there are several different boardwalk "communities" in Saskatoon, some downtown, some in the north end, one off 7th St East. They are unfurnished but almost all rentals have laundry facilities, fridge and cooker which would be your major spends. Maybe try Elite Property Management - they have lots in that area. It is safe, though near to a major thoroughfare (8th St East) - this I found more of a benefit than a hazard. It puts you near to groceries (Real Canadian Superstore, Sobeys, Safeway), other useful stores like London Drugs (sells everything from computers and DVDs to housewares and groceries), cinemas, mall, parks, crazy golf! - and some eat-out places and coffee stops. The area backs onto Brevoort Park, which is a nice area ( though again, I don;t know anything about house prices - probably high). Nearby schools include Catholic and public primaries with French immersion, and two or three high schools. North end is expensive, big houses on newer developments - double-garage city.
Avoid 20th and 22nd Sts West and "the alphabet district" (the streets go from Ave A, B C etc....areas like Caswell Hill are kind of run down though may be "up and coming".
Lakewood is pretty great, residential, suburban-ish though on main bus routes. Has a wicked civic centre with swimming pool and excellent local library. There are quite a few duplexes (semis) in that area which might give you a start depending on what you are looking for. On the West side, Confederation and Centennial areas are good; again a couple of sound primary schools right up in the west top corner, and easy access to Confed mall for groceries etc. (though I still found my place on the east side more convenient and "felt better" than when I lived out on the west). Generally, west is cheaper than east.
There are reasonable apt buildings in the Greystone Heights area though a bit more cost for smaller I think? I don't have experience of house renting, just apartment, so don't know the situation.

If you want any other more specific info please feel free to pm me with questions and i will try to answer.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

carrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud ofcarrieann has much to be proud of

Hi Michelle, I sent you a PM, I hope you got it.