Reload this Page >

Saskatoon, any info please

Saskatoon, any info please

Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

---mlm--- is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Saskatoon, any info please

Hi all
Could anyone give me any info on saskatoon???What is like? Places to live? schools etc.
Any info appreciated
Michelle
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:21 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Saskatoon, any info please

Hi mlm, I cannot give any specific info on Saskatoon, but we are moving to Saskatchewan too as my husband has a job in Regina, we hope to live in a town East of Regina called Indian Head.

If you do a search for Carrie-anne, she lives in Warman, just outside Saskatoon or LornaD from Wales, now living in Regina Beach. She has just spent a few weeks in Saskatoon and really loved it

Have you a job there, or what is attracting you to Saskatoon?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Saskatoon, any info please

Hi alvic,
My husband has been invited for a job interview and i was just wondering what the place was like.
Thanks for that will look them up
Old Oct 9th 2007, 8:17 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ---mlm---
Hi all
Could anyone give me any info on saskatoon???What is like? Places to live? schools etc.
Any info appreciated
Michelle
Its flat.

Sorry, not much help, but thats about all I know about SK
Old Oct 9th 2007, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I heard from Lorna and I have a feeling that perhaps she doesn't have an internet connection yet. However, she should be getting there.

Saskatoon is really booming this year. I have heard that housing starts and house prices are through the roof as compared to previous years. Like all cities everywhere, it has its good areas and bad and you should probably rely on someone who has actually lived there, which I haven't, to tell you where to live. A reputable realtor should be able to do that but I don't know who is a good one.

There are some other people on here from Saskatoon. Doesn't Koog live there - or perhaps he doesn't come on the board any more. I seem to remember various people heading that way.

We are supposed to be having an election called tomorrow. I think its about time we had a change from the darn NDP, they are bought off by the unions and I don't think being ruled by the unions is the best thing for progress and free enterprise! However, things seem to be going well in the province despite the NDP!!
Old Oct 9th 2007, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

hi there!

i have been there ..i like the place a lot. My husbands closest friend lives there. My husband is from saskatchewan and still has family there. we have a neice that goes to Uni in Saskatoon.

I found it to be a nice area. lots of friendly people..good shopping (cheap)..and a lovely downtown section.

We hear that housing is going up in prices which is good investment wise. As far as i know it offers good services..has lots of snow in winter..and lovely hot weather in summer....also they get some great bands there..and have good musos that come out of the place..so it can't be all that bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idwLW1-raE0

Last edited by Maple Leaf; Oct 9th 2007 at 11:42 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 11:50 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

You could try www.saskbiz.com For some official in from the province.

On any place in saskatchewan

Last edited by Grah; Oct 9th 2007 at 11:53 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I have heard that housing starts and house prices are through the roof as compared to previous years.
Prices are high but seem to have stabilised for the moment. They're not so bad really, the main problem is that houses in the less popular areas that used to be really cheap are now mostly $200,000+... the prices at the low to mid end seem to have risen much more than the prices at the high end.

And there are a ton of new houses being built. We bought a 2005 house and the whole area around here is still a construction zone... the houses here go up pretty fast, there are many more here now than when we looked at our house back in August!

To put it into perspective, we bought a two year old three-bed, three-bath detached house with garage in a reasonably up-market area for less than one of my relatives just paid for a flat in an old house in a town in the South-West of England. But we could have paid as much or more for a similar house from the 60s or 70s in an older area with numerous problems that needed fixing!

Like all cities everywhere, it has its good areas and bad and you should probably rely on someone who has actually lived there, which I haven't, to tell you where to live.
Yeah, there's an area on the West of the river which has gangs and a high crime rate, but most of the city seems OK; my girlfriend has lived here for years and never had any real problems, but she stays out of that part of town. Any of the newer developments around the edge of the city should be pretty safe.

Edit: BTW, our realtor was really good and put up with us for nearly nine months before we finally found a house we wanted, could afford and didn't get out-bid on; so if you need a realtor here let me know and I'll pass on his info.

Last edited by MarkG; Oct 10th 2007 at 3:33 am.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, according to this article prices here dropped last month, though I'm not convinced of that myself:

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarp...9-e64798cfe631

Looking around, asking prices certainly don't seem any lower, though selling prices might be.

Either way, I don't see prices increasing much above inflation for the immediate future and the rush to outbid all-comers is probably over. Some of the houses we bid on went for 25-30% above the asking price, whereas the one we finally bought we got for 10% below the asking price and about $20,000 less than our neighbour paid for their, smaller, house a few months ago.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

CoreyCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Saskatoon is a beautiful city. I am from that area (Regina) and have many great things to say about Saskatoon. Clean, friendly, easy to get around. It offers a lot for a small city of 200,000 people.

Saskatoon house prices have increased more than any other city in Canada over the last year , roughly 50%. In part that is because Saskatchewan had the lowest housing prices in Canada until everyone realized that and started to invest and buy up everything that moved. Still much cheaper than other big cities. www.mls.ca is a good real estate listing website to get a look at prices.

Saskatoon will get very cold in the winter. Very. And it gets very warm in the summer. We say 40/40. -40'C in the winter and +40'C in the summer. But you dress warm and you get use to it.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:05 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

i agree with corey, if you are going to live in Sk, Saskatoon is a pretty city.

Sk appears to be experiencing a bit of a revival, more job opportunities, more resource development, Grain is at all time highs so Farmers have cash to spend.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:10 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CoreyCanada
Saskatoon house prices have increased more than any other city in Canada over the last year , roughly 50%. In part that is because Saskatchewan had the lowest housing prices in Canada until everyone realized that and started to invest and buy up everything that moved. Still much cheaper than other big cities. www.mls.ca is a good real estate listing website to get a look at prices.
It's the Albertans innit?
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Saskatoon, any info please

We are lookin at renting at first but cannot find any rental properties, is this a problem in saskatoon??
Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

We are lookin at renting at first but cannot find any rental properties, is this a problem in saskatoon??
Rents have exploded in the last couple of years and a number of rental apartment blocks have been converted into condos to sell off, so it is a problem right now... that's one reason why we bought a house despite knowing that it was a bit overpriced. The day we moved out of our rented apartment there were three or four other people also moving out because of the rent increases.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

redrosed is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
We are moving out to Saskatoon in January. Went out there in July for a recce and really liked the place, very nice relaxed feeling to it but with amenaties etc of a city! Seems to be lots culture,arts and festivals going on all the time.
It is very flat but doesnt really feel it until you get way out of town.
As for rentals, we have a realtor looking and a couple people in OH office-to-be and it is a nightmare. We want furnished but without 6 or 12 months agreement and all we have to date is a suite at $3,500 per month (does inc everything though right down to pillow cases but still steep!!)
When are you thinking of moving. If you look on mls.ca and look at areas 1,2 and 3 these seem to be the better areas by all accounts.
Good luck,
Nicky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.