Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Same to you too pal!

Same to you too pal!

Old Dec 12th 2006, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of
Default Same to you too pal!

Anyone noticed when you're driving and let someone in over here they stick a hand up and give you the V sign? Or is this just an Alberta thing? On the rare occaisions I've had any visual thanks for letting anyone in out on the roads this is what I get....the first time it happened I was like "same to you dickhead" and gave him the V's back while screaming at him in disbelief....a few weeks later the second time someone stuck an arm out and stuck two fingers up I was totally stunned that it had happened again but refrained from retaliating and was just plain confused.....and then the penny dropped that this was them being courteous and saying thanks? It's happened a few times since and it's always the V's. So next time someone lets you in....(and it won't be very often!)....give 'em the V's and a friendly smile.....and hope they're not new brits.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Same to you too pal!

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
Anyone noticed when you're driving and let someone in over here they stick a hand up and give you the V sign? Or is this just an Alberta thing? On the rare occaisions I've had any visual thanks for letting anyone in out on the roads this is what I get....the first time it happened I was like "same to you dickhead" and gave him the V's back while screaming at him in disbelief....a few weeks later the second time someone stuck an arm out and stuck two fingers up I was totally stunned that it had happened again but refrained from retaliating and was just plain confused.....and then the penny dropped that this was them being courteous and saying thanks? It's happened a few times since and it's always the V's. So next time someone lets you in....(and it won't be very often!)....give 'em the V's and a friendly smile.....and hope they're not new brits.
i will remember this in the event someone does actual let you in. my personal favourite is the fact the so obviously dont understand the word 'merge' or the concept of thinking ahead.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 5:03 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its like a different planet Drivers where I live seem to be courteous and coming to work today at a 4 way stop time was wasted with the "After you, No, AFTER YOU" Hand dance. No V signs here, just courtesy and a friendly wave or tip of the imaginary hat
Old Dec 12th 2006, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen it either... maybe this poster is visiting Calgary at the moment?
Old Dec 12th 2006, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Canadians don't know what the V sign is.........

They do use the middle finger....referred to as ' giving the bird ' so I am told.

I know what you mean tough....they put their hand up and it does look like the V.

I find it really funny that Canadians are such lovely people...but get them behind the wheel of a vehicle....... :scared:

Linda
Old Dec 12th 2006, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

But isn't the V sign the V for Victory - Winston Churchill, not the F sign- the hand the other way around .
Old Dec 12th 2006, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

That's brilliant, it would definitely go down a storm in the UK.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 11:35 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

*LOLOLOLOL* Oh it is SO good to read about some of the Brit's equivalently jaw dropping moments of incredubility I went through when I moved to the UK almost 3 years ago (Buses apon buses whizzing by me stood at the stop wondering WHY they werent stopping, sure didnt look full to me!)

The "V" sign in Canada has no other connotation then 'victory' not like here where its a rude connotation... I've had to teach my family in Canada the 'right' way to give a Brit the "V"... sounds almost dirty *lol*
Old Dec 13th 2006, 12:09 am
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Maybe I am lucky but here on Vancouver's north shore the driving I see is generally courteous. Being waved on at a 4 way stop happens, and taking turns in merging onto the Lions Gate Bridge is wonderful. I just don't see drivers driving as close to the vehicle in front as possible so as to prevent anyone slipping in front of them.
I can't say that all driving is wonderful. I don't need to give examples as these discussions are usually full of them - I just appreciate that the pace is slower and gentler than my experience in the UK.

Warmly,

Frank
Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I haven't seen it either... maybe this poster is visiting Calgary at the moment?
Old Dec 13th 2006, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Scotty1972 will become famous soon enoughScotty1972 will become famous soon enough

Driving in Calgary, drive as close as you can to the person in front, if someone has the wrong lane abuse them, never thank anyone, if you drive an SUV then you are the king of the road and all people should part before you

Soon you begin to learn, if you cant beat them join them

rgds scotty
Old Dec 13th 2006, 2:37 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frank'n Sense
I can't say that all driving is wonderful. I don't need to give examples as these discussions are usually full of them - I just appreciate that the pace is slower and gentler than my experience in the UK.
Here here. I find that with the auto 'box, larger vehicles, more space on the roads and generally slower driving speeds add up to a calmer more relaxing driving experience. Road rage is notably absent from my day to day life. This is despite Kelowna having 2 or 3 of the most dangerous intersections in BC (through Highway 97) and some of the oldest, most ponderous, temazepam-comatose, old coots, and the youngest most crazy, stoned, pissed Bubba-truck drivers in BC. Add to that tourists and out of towners and you get the picture. Then add in 38 degrees of summer heat and a one way in-out highway. ....yup despite that, it's chilled.

Peeps here in Kelowna cast their hands to the sky in horror and mutter curses when I talk about driving in Vancouver. Fact, I find it fine, OK navigating in an unfamiliar city can be a horror of frustrations, but the actual driving per se is a doddle.

Rich.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 3:54 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Same to you too pal!

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Here here. I find that with the auto 'box, larger vehicles, more space on the roads and generally slower driving speeds add up to a calmer more relaxing driving experience. Road rage is notably absent from my day to day life. This is despite Kelowna having 2 or 3 of the most dangerous intersections in BC (through Highway 97) and some of the oldest, most ponderous, temazepam-comatose, old coots, and the youngest most crazy, stoned, pissed Bubba-truck drivers in BC. Add to that tourists and out of towners and you get the picture. Then add in 38 degrees of summer heat and a one way in-out highway. ....yup despite that, it's chilled.

Peeps here in Kelowna cast their hands to the sky in horror and mutter curses when I talk about driving in Vancouver. Fact, I find it fine, OK navigating in an unfamiliar city can be a horror of frustrations, but the actual driving per se is a doddle.

Rich.
First time for a long time that I agree with Rich Driving in the UK is a great deal more stressful than in my part of town or on my commute. UK drivers are so over the top.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 2:36 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
First time for a long time that I agree with Rich
See, you're coming round to my way of thinking.

I didn't expect it to take such a short amount of time with this particular sample, it shows there is hope still

Rich.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Scotty1972

Soon you begin to learn, if you cant beat them join them

rgds scotty

funny that, i think i heard the same exact words out of my husbands mouth

took newly arrived daughter out for drive yesterday and she could not believe some of the driving she saw. there was said SUV right up the backside of car trying its best to intimidate it out of the way
Old Dec 13th 2006, 3:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Curious why you consider it an offensive gesture? My Canuck always waves a TY to courteous drivers both here and there. Can't the V just be a friendly TY?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.