Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Same to you too pal!

Same to you too pal!

Old Dec 13th 2006, 3:27 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Same to you too pal!

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
Anyone noticed when you're driving and let someone in over here they stick a hand up and give you the V sign? Or is this just an Alberta thing? On the rare occaisions I've had any visual thanks for letting anyone in out on the roads this is what I get....the first time it happened I was like "same to you dickhead" and gave him the V's back while screaming at him in disbelief....a few weeks later the second time someone stuck an arm out and stuck two fingers up I was totally stunned that it had happened again but refrained from retaliating and was just plain confused.....and then the penny dropped that this was them being courteous and saying thanks? It's happened a few times since and it's always the V's. So next time someone lets you in....(and it won't be very often!)....give 'em the V's and a friendly smile.....and hope they're not new brits.
I've been here for 43 years and been driving for 42 of them, and I can honestly say I've never seen this.

I've seen many people give a friendly wave back to you in thanks but never the "V" sign.

The "V" sign (palm towards the receiver) was used a number of years ago as a peace symbol perhaps some still use it that way.

I was aware of the meaning of the "V" sign in the UK before I left but it has never to my knowledge be in general use in Canada.

Cheers
Steve
Old Dec 13th 2006, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Hangman]I've been here for 43 years and been driving for 42 of them, and I can honestly say I've never seen this.

I've seen many people give a friendly wave back to you in thanks but never the "V" sign.

It's happened to me a fair few times now...and it's definitely the two fingers from the front stuck out the window or held up in what I percieve as the offensive way - but with thanks in mind - as opposed to the peace sign....which I imigine you might get in BC, but not in Alberta! It just makes me laugh every time as they clearly don't know it's generally a bad thing to do to someone from Britain....hence my initial disbelief and rage. I even did it to someone else the other day just for my own entertainment. Made me laugh anyway.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

Booo is a jewel in the roughBooo is a jewel in the roughBooo is a jewel in the roughBooo is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Re: Same to you too pal!

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
Anyone noticed when you're driving and let someone in over here they stick a hand up and give you the V sign? Or is this just an Alberta thing? On the rare occaisions I've had any visual thanks for letting anyone in out on the roads this is what I get....the first time it happened I was like "same to you dickhead" and gave him the V's back while screaming at him in disbelief....a few weeks later the second time someone stuck an arm out and stuck two fingers up I was totally stunned that it had happened again but refrained from retaliating and was just plain confused.....and then the penny dropped that this was them being courteous and saying thanks? It's happened a few times since and it's always the V's. So next time someone lets you in....(and it won't be very often!)....give 'em the V's and a friendly smile.....and hope they're not new brits.

Have you seen the GAP commercial on TV? There's a guy trying to sell hoodies dancing around giving the 'V' sign it cracks me up every time. That's one commercial they couldn't show in the UK!
Old Dec 14th 2006, 3:55 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Can say as if I remember seeing government sponsored tips on driving in the uk but in Manitoba they do 60 second Driver they run all the time on the T.V.

Here's the tips for overtaking -- Passing

Here are a couple things to remember when you do decide to pass:

• Shoulder check when pulling out to pass and again before pulling back in to the right lane.

• Don't pull back in too soon. When you see both headlights of the vehicle you just passed in the rear-view mirror, it's safe to move back into the right lane.

So stay right except to pass or make a left turn. And remember, it's not legal to exceed the speed limit, even when you are passing.

Notice no indicating to warn others you are maneuvering and in the video they show people weaving without indicating
Old Dec 14th 2006, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by Grah
Notice no indicating to warn others you are maneuvering and in the video they show people weaving without indicating
Which begs the question if you are far enough in front of a vehicle you have just passed that you can see his headlights in your rear-view mirror and the distance between you and him is still increasing. Is it really necessary to indicate a lane change?
Old Dec 14th 2006, 4:12 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Which begs the question if you are far enough in front of a vehicle you have just passed that you can see his headlights in your rear-view mirror and the distance between you and him is still increasing. Is it really necessary to indicate a lane change?

It is if you're in traffic in a city with side roads etc or the guy following you or the guy in front doing the speed limit who decides to get out of your way .

Might as well ask why would anyone need to pass if everyone is doing the speed limit.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Grah

Might as well ask why would anyone need to pass if everyone is doing the speed limit.
Now you have to define speed limit.

Is it the posted speed or is what you know you can get away with and not get a speeding ticket?

For example in Calgary in a 80kph posted zone most people know you drive at speeds up to 94kph and not get a ticket.

Last edited by Steve_P; Dec 14th 2006 at 4:26 am.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:01 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by the "V". I'm Canadian and I grew up in Ontario and moved to Alberta for University. I believe you're refering to the friendly wave they do out here. I was confused myself as I never got that in Ontario.

Basically most people just wave with the fingers closed and thumb out, which more or less forms a V. It's not like a regular wave that goes back and forth, most people just wave it across once and put there arm down.

Anyway I can only guess that's what you're describing. I would just assume the other drivers are saying thanks for letting me in. I know my husband always does it, and I have gotten into the habit since I moved to Alberta.

Haley
Old Dec 14th 2006, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

dinamarca has a brilliant futuredinamarca has a brilliant futuredinamarca has a brilliant futuredinamarca has a brilliant futuredinamarca has a brilliant futuredinamarca has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by comet555
I'm not sure what you mean exactly by the "V". I'm Canadian and I grew up in Ontario and moved to Alberta for University. I believe you're refering to the friendly wave they do out here. I was confused myself as I never got that in Ontario.

Basically most people just wave with the fingers closed and thumb out, which more or less forms a V. It's not like a regular wave that goes back and forth, most people just wave it across once and put there arm down.

Anyway I can only guess that's what you're describing. I would just assume the other drivers are saying thanks for letting me in. I know my husband always does it, and I have gotten into the habit since I moved to Alberta.

Haley
Isn't it just the regular sign for 'peace'?