Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Rural Canada - how is it? and where?

Rural Canada - how is it? and where?

Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rural Canada - how is it? and where?

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yeah - actually following them is something different!

I live near Washington DC. Quite a lot of my friends' and neighbors' kids ended up in the "BosWash" corridor (from Boston to Washington DC) and so they are still relatively close by. I see a lot of them visiting here frequently and also their parents can easily go visit them.

I guess the GTA and Southern Ontario in general would be the closest Canadian equivalent - my daughter was born there and went back there to attend university. But dbd also lives in that region and, as he said, his kids ended up in Vancouver, London, and Switzerland. So there are no guarantees. Also, some kids just want to get away from home regardless (to learn to be independent, experience something different, etc).

However, I do think living in a rural area reduces the chances that you will be near or see your kids simply because they are usually drawn to urban centres for university, work, social life etc. I think it might also reduce the chances that they visit "home" (e.g. extra costs and travelling time).

Of course, waiting to see where they end up and then following them might work! Unless you have multiple kids and they split up in an attempt to lose you!
Note that at the time of the children wandering off, I lived in Toronto and their mother in the suburbs, they drifted back and forth between the houses. Their departures weren't connected with my later moving to the country (nor with their mother repatriating).

The daughter in Vancouver has a partner who's family live in Alberta. His parents have rented a place in Vancouver for a year so they can easily visit, they say that if they can deal with the weather they'll buy a place there. I find this idea to be creepy as all hell. Children are supposed to grow up and have lives, parents shouldn't stalk them.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Tortoise....not turtles, Tortoises.
Ahh

Thank you
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We harrow with our quad. We have a relatively heavy chain harrow that, IIRC, is 6 feet wide and 4 feet long (as shown below). Each link is made from 1/2 inch thick steel.

The arena appears to be simple loam. When it dries out, it harrows easily, when it is wet, as it has been for the past two months, it is much harder to harrow. The OH has taken to securing a couple of oil drums to it to ensure it "bites".

The previous owner left a plough type thing in the arena. They told our realtor they were leaving a harrow. It may or may not be a harrow but it would require a serious tractor to be able to pull it; something they had but we don't.

I am beginning to realise that one can never have enough machinery when living on an acreage. I would be amazed if, by this time next year, I am not a tractor owner.
Ah, I have one of those harrows. Nothing to harrow at the moment but it came with the last (rural) place and I hung on to it. Never enough machinery ...
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ah, I have one of those harrows. Nothing to harrow at the moment but it came with the last (rural) place and I hung on to it. Never enough machinery ...
OH is obsessed with harrowing. She turns it up side down and uses it to harrow the pastures. When I asked her why she said that it knocks the crap out of the horses' poop. Quite why that is necessary is beyond me. The horses of our neighbours appear to manage perfectly well with piles of manure.

Do you know much about tractors?
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Note that at the time of the children wandering off, I lived in Toronto and their mother in the suburbs, they drifted back and forth between the houses. Their departures weren't connected with my later moving to the country (nor with their mother repatriating).

The daughter in Vancouver has a partner who's family live in Alberta. His parents have rented a place in Vancouver for a year so they can easily visit, they say that if they can deal with the weather they'll buy a place there. I find this idea to be creepy as all hell. Children are supposed to grow up and have lives, parents shouldn't stalk them.
Oh dear is that what it sounds like???

I think in our case it's two fold. We feel life is passing us by being in such a quiet remote part of NS and with one son in Toronto, another thinking about making the move and the other two still living at home it seems like a good choice.
Of course if the boys then move to other parts of the country we wouldn't follow but at least being near a major airport it is easy to visit or go visit. Currently we have 3 1/2 hours to drive before even boarding a plane!
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Not a lot. Most of what I know follows:

- primary criterion is whether or not you'll deal with round bales. If so you need a big tractor, if not, or rarely, then a "compact" or "estate" tractor will likely serve.

- tricycle tractors are extremely dangerous. Actually, everything to do with tractors is dangerous but those are terrifying.

- I need it to work. A driveway clearing device that won't start is worse than useless so I have a new tractor. I'm sure a more knowledgeable person could pay less for a slightly used one.

- All tractors come with long term 0% financing deals. Lowest cost for capacity around here is probably Mahindra, Kubota, New Holland then JD. I previously had a JD and now have a Mahindra (big loss of field cred there).

- The quick attach device is well worth the money.

- A shuttle transmission is way better than a manual.

- Dealers make more on the attachments than the machine so get a package price for everything at once.

More if I think of it.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not a lot. Most of what I know follows:

- primary criterion is whether or not you'll deal with round bales. If so you need a big tractor, if not, or rarely, then a "compact" or "estate" tractor will likely serve.

- tricycle tractors are extremely dangerous. Actually, everything to do with tractors is dangerous but those are terrifying.

- I need it to work. A driveway clearing device that won't start is worse than useless so I have a new tractor. I'm sure a more knowledgeable person could pay less for a slightly used one.

- All tractors come with long term 0% financing deals. Lowest cost for capacity around here is probably Mahindra, Kubota, New Holland then JD. I previously had a JD and now have a Mahindra (big loss of field cred there).

- The quick attach device is well worth the money.

- A shuttle transmission is way better than a manual.

- Dealers make more on the attachments than the machine so get a package price for everything at once.

More if I think of it.
Thank you.

I do not intend to ever have to handle round bales.

The quad is fitted with a blade and, with the exception of one instance, coped admirably last year with snow clearing. One of our neighbours has a huge bobcat with an articulating blade that we could call upon if needed.

We only wish to use the tractor for baling square bales and general pottering about. I appreciate that, the minute we buy something, we will find 100s of other uses for it that it is not powerful enough to perform.

I am learning about hp and ptos. It seems to be relatively straightforward. Am I missing something or do those on tractor forums like to compare their machinery as much as people on this board like to compare their vehicles.

I am fairly mechanically minded, but I have no intention of spending my days tinkering with crap. If it needs proper knowledge, I will pay someone to look at it. I would like it to work or only require basic knowledge to effect a repair.

I seem to be hearing that a 30-40 hp compact will suffice so long as it has a 25 hp or so pto. I do not intend to bale and pull a trailer at the same time. I am happy to cut, then rake, then bale in separate operations.

Any thoughts?
Old Jul 31st 2013, 5:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I am learning about hp and ptos. It seems to be relatively straightforward. Am I missing something or do those on tractor forums like to compare their machinery as much as people on this board like to compare their vehicles.
Worse. Like comparing phones. Some people just have to the Itractor because it looks right.

I seem to be hearing that a 30-40 hp compact will suffice so long as it has a 25 hp or so pto.

Any thoughts?
Sounds right. Don't consider a machine without a bucket, it's not specifically needed for the jobs listed but it is for everything else.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sounds right. Don't consider a machine without a bucket, it's not specifically needed for the jobs listed but it is for everything else.
Thanks

Is there anything particular I need to know about buckets and the front end loaders? I appreciate that some will be more powerful than others. I don't believe I will need a particularly powerful one (unless you suggest otherwise) but, for the most part, I assume they assist with landscaping and picking things up and taking them from A to B.

I have seen front end loaders stored off the unit itself. Is that simply a space saving thing or do they need to be removed for other reasons?
Old Jul 31st 2013, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Oh dear is that what it sounds like???

I think in our case it's two fold. We feel life is passing us by being in such a quiet remote part of NS and with one son in Toronto, another thinking about making the move and the other two still living at home it seems like a good choice.
Of course if the boys then move to other parts of the country we wouldn't follow but at least being near a major airport it is easy to visit or go visit. Currently we have 3 1/2 hours to drive before even boarding a plane!
Right - and it also means your kids have a 3.5hr drive to get from your nearest airport to you.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 6:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Thanks

Is there anything particular I need to know about buckets and the front end loaders? I appreciate that some will be more powerful than others. I don't believe I will need a particularly powerful one (unless you suggest otherwise) but, for the most part, I assume they assist with landscaping and picking things up and taking them from A to B.

I have seen front end loaders stored off the unit itself. Is that simply a space saving thing or do they need to be removed for other reasons?
I don't think there's much to know, it can pick things up, carry them, dump them, smooth gravel and so on. It can also apply great force gently. 100s of uses.

I took mine off the JD once because it blocked the headlamp beam and I wanted to mow at night. Despite access to the manual and the internet I had to phone the dealer to find out how to reattach it. I didn't do that again. Lights mounted up on the ROPS would be a good idea.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't think there's much to know, it can pick things up, carry them, dump them, smooth gravel and so on. It can also apply great force gently. 100s of uses.

I took mine off the JD once because it blocked the headlamp beam and I wanted to mow at night. Despite access to the manual and the internet I had to phone the dealer to find out how to reattach it. I didn't do that again. Lights mounted up on the ROPS would be a good idea.
Excellent. Thank you.

If you are ever over this way, I owe you a beer or two.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 6:50 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

What are torts?
Thank heaven you asked AC...I'd already Googled it!
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:50 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

OH is obsessed with harrowing. She turns it up side down and uses it to harrow the pastures. When I asked her why she said that it knocks the crap out of the horses' poop. Quite why that is necessary is beyond me. The horses of our neighbours appear to manage perfectly well with piles of manure.

Harrowing the horse manure is good for the pasture. When I owned an equestrian facility here in BC I had as many as 50 horses producing poop, it's a huge volume, and manure management a big job. If your able/willing to collect it, make a manure heap which is regularly watered, the resulting compost is excellent. I used to spread the manure on my hay field a couple of times per year.

WRT tractors, 30hp is adequate enough for a small acreage. I had a JD 30hp (get your rear tires filled with calcium chloride for added weight/traction, it makes a huge difference, particularly in the winter) and it coped fine with 32 acres to deal with. My tractor had about 800Hrs of commercial use per year put on it - choose once with the best hydraulic pump rate you can afford. There's nothing more frustrating than waiting for your loader to respond to your lever input, and if you ever need to move heavy items you'll be glad of the power.

Taking care of horses, I'd recommend getting a pto driven auger for making the task of fencing far easier. They're relatively inexpensive as implements go. A rear mounted blade, and your loader on the front makes snow plowing/removal a breeze.

Last edited by R I C H; Jul 31st 2013 at 7:54 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by R I C H
Harrowing the horse manure is good for the pasture. When I owned an equestrian facility here in BC I had as many as 50 horses producing poop, it's a huge volume, and manure management a big job. If your able/willing to collect it, make a manure heap which is regularly watered, the resulting compost is excellent. I used to spread the manure on my hay field a couple of times per year.
We have 3 horses and, essentially, 10 acres fenced off into pastures that they currently graze upon. It would appear that the previous owner dumped his horses' manure into a big pile in on of the pastures. He had 6 horses each time we looked at the property when we were purchasing it. The manure pile has composted into stuff that is very good, and my wife uses it for her bedding plants. But, without a tractor, it seemed to me to be an awful amount of work (without a tractor - he had one) to pick this up from only 3 horses to make another manure heap.

WRT tractors, 30hp is adequate enough for a small acreage. I had a JD 30hp (get your rear tires filled with calcium chloride for added weight/traction, it makes a huge difference, particularly in the winter) and it coped fine with 32 acres to deal with. My tractor had about 800Hrs of commercial use per year put on it - choose once with the best hydraulic pump rate you can afford. There's nothing more frustrating than waiting for your loader to respond to your lever input, and if you ever need to move heavy items you'll be glad of the power.
Thank you. I will bear this in mind. As an aside, did you have our own baling equipment or did you get someone in to do this for you?

Taking care of horses, I'd recommend getting a pto driven auger for making the task of fencing far easier. They're relatively inexpensive as implements go. A rear mounted blade, and your loader on the front makes snow plowing/removal a breeze.
We will need to replace most of our fences at some point. They are horrid whitewashed things that are some way past their sell by date. I intend to replace them with what our perimeter fence is which looks like similar sized round rails to the round uprights. I didn't realise that implements that you have suggested could be run from a tractor, although I knew similar implements could be run from a bobcat.

How are tractors delivered? Does the dealer perform this or does one have to have some sort of low loader?

I guess I need to bite the bullet and visit a few dealers. I think it is going to be rather spendy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.