Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Rural Canada - how is it? and where?

Rural Canada - how is it? and where?

Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:01 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rural Canada - how is it? and where?

Originally Posted by Ugo51
mh, that's quite pricy.

I guess it's the downside of a country with no houses old enough to be sold for renovation...
We got to this place by buying an older house, 1860ish, in the nearby town of 200,000 people (Guelph) renovating it by adding a floor and selling it. We had intended to build in the country and had purchased 25 acres with that in mind when we came upon this place being foreclosed. This place seemed like a deal so we bought it from the bank. The house was built in 2000, after the previous house was removed by a tornado. It's built to modern standards which is to say that it's worn out and needs the same amount of work as the 1860 house.

Renovating in the country is a challenge, just hauling the insulation for the basement from Buffalo was eight hours of driving. And, as mentioned above, there's always lots of work to be done on a rural property; I doubt there's a daylight hour when we don't have some sort of engine running; tractor, strimmer, chain saw, lawn mower, yadda, yadda.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:12 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We live 'out in the country' as the locals say, this means we have a well, septic and satellite tv and internet. 2acres, surrounded by trees, creek to one side, open fields to the other, 8kms or so from town. Perfect situation to start getting used to rural living. We have 1km of gravel road, ploughed/graded regularly year round. We also have neighbours in wslking distance, I like that, but they are really lovely, might not like it if they were 'orrible
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette
we live on a 6 acre plot between Sylvan Lake and Rocky Mountain House, Alberta.
It is a 45 minute drive to Red Deer for work. We have a couple of neighbours near, one across the highway and the others are about .5 and 1 km north and south of us.

The drive in the winter is a bit of a pain, but then most drives in the winter are a pain.
This shot was taken about 3 years ago
Looks lovely. I just couldn't be doing with all that mowing.

Serious question - do you have issues with mozzies and the standing water nearby?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 4:38 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

Serious question - do you have issues with mozzies and the standing water nearby?
Thats why we like our little acreage, it takes me longer to mow than it does mr piff as I'm a big wuss, but he puts it in top speed and whizzies around like a lunatic, takes about an hour
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
This 212 Acre Farm Includes A House, A Large Barn With Hydro, Approximately 60 Acres Of Workable Land, 106 Acres Of Mixed Forest, 10 Acres Of Pasture And A Lovely Wetland. This Large Intact Parcel Of Land Is A Rare Find And A Definitely Must See.

oh my goodness!!
212 acres is huge! far beyond my wildest dream!
I didn't really bother looking how much land costs here in the UK, but in Italy where I come from you would need to be billionarie to afford a 212 ace plot (or, as we would call, a 85 hectares plot )

well, this is the top range of my dreams, but I can settle, and probably will, for far less than that.

The good point is that you are telling me that villages and small communities DO exist. And that makes me happy.
As I said we are most likely to move in the area near Toronto or Vancouver (Ottawa and Calgary, maybe), hopefully the second one because I love mountains and Ontario looks quite flat...
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m

Hi Ann
the mowing takes a couple of days, especially when it is warm. We could do it in one day, but we like to do it in stages. I have some landscaping plans that will reduce the mowing by a tiny bit

We do have a fair amount of mossies, but nothing that would stop me from stopping here. There are an abundance of dragon flies, barn swallows and little spiders that thrive on the mossies. I have only been bitten three times this year, last year was horrid, I was their delicacy I think.
We heard hat bats love a snackette of mossies, so thought we would invest in a bat box and hope they take us up on the offer of a free hotel and abundance of food

I wouldn't want to go back to living in a city, this is my ideal
Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Thats why we like our little acreage, it takes me longer to mow than it does mr piff as I'm a big wuss, but he puts it in top speed and whizzies around like a lunatic, takes about an hour
We tried the whizzing around on the mower, but we had so many areas that just got missed
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The good point is that you are telling me that villages and small communities DO exist. And that makes me happy.
As I said we are most likely to move in the area near Toronto or Vancouver (Ottawa and Calgary, maybe), hopefully the second one because I love mountains and Ontario looks quite flat...

Well I guess that puts Saskatchewan and Manitoba out of the running then
If this was 20 years ago for 200 grand you could have probably bought a quarter of the province of Saskatchewan.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Well I guess that puts Saskatchewan and Manitoba out of the running then
If this was 20 years ago for 200 grand you could have probably bought a quarter of the province of Saskatchewan.
yeah, I'm not really considering those two provinces any more than any of the territories
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

oh my goodness!!
212 acres is huge! far beyond my wildest dream!
I didn't really bother looking how much land costs here in the UK, but in Italy where I come from you would need to be billionarie to afford a 212 ace plot (or, as we would call, a 85 hectares plot )

well, this is the top range of my dreams, but I can settle, and probably will, for far less than that.

If you were to move near to Toronto you might want to consider that Woodbridge and Schomberg have large Italian populations, sufficient that you could probably shop in Italian. Of course, I don't know if this would make you less or more likely to move near there.

As far as land area goes, be aware that you won't be able to keep a horse on anything less than five acres and in many locations zoning rules require that you have ten. (Absurdly, once a horse is legal, any number of horses is legal).
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
If you were to move near to Toronto you might want to consider that Woodbridge and Schomberg have large Italian populations, sufficient that you could probably shop in Italian. Of course, I don't know if this would make you less or more likely to move near there.

As far as land area goes, be aware that you won't be able to keep a horse on anything less than five acres and in many locations zoning rules require that you have ten. (Absurdly, once a horse is legal, any number of horses is legal). yes, that's quite absurd
oh, thanks! good to know.
I don't really feel the need to be close to an Italian community, but I do like Italian food, so it might come handy to have some shops nearby.

I didn't check Schomberg yet, but Woodbridge looks like a very good location. Google map tells me there are 24miles between Woodbridge and downtown Toronto, equal to about 30-35min. Do you reckon that's a reasonably accurate estimate or it depends heavily on traffic?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

oh, thanks! good to know.
I don't really feel the need to be close to an Italian community, but I do like Italian food, so it might come handy to have some shops nearby.

I didn't check Schomberg yet, but Woodbridge looks like a very good location. Google map tells me there are 24miles between Woodbridge and downtown Toronto, equal to about 30-35min. Do you reckon that's a reasonably accurate estimate or it depends heavily on traffic?
That's a good estimate if it's Saturday morning. On weekdays it'll be more, predictably more in the mornings, unpredictably more in the afternoons. Commuting from way north of Orangeville, I found my trip time all depended on the stretch from downtown along the Gardiner to the 427, in the morning that's ten minutes, in the afternoon I'd hope to do it in 40 minutes but sometimes it took 90. That was four years ago so it'd be worse now.

Toronto is a shitty place to drive.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33

Toronto is a shitty place to drive.
...and I would imagine that using public transport is out of question, isn't it?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

...and I would imagine that using public transport is out of question, isn't it?
I imagine it is from Woodbridge. The subway and streetcars work well enough but they're only in Toronto itself and the near suburbs. The GO train is a workable option but only along the lakeshore.

It would be possible to live rurally and drive to the Hamilton GO station (another place with lots of Italians, btw) if you were willing to devote a lot of time to commuting. At one time I looked at a horse place on the escarpment and considered that, I thought it would be ok, if expensive, but I only planned to go into the office three days a week.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There is a GO bus from Woodbridge to Toronto or you could get a train from Etobicoke. System map here: http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...es/sysmap.aspx

http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/...x?station=WOOD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.