Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Rural Canada - how is it? and where?

Rural Canada - how is it? and where?

Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:50 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rural Canada - how is it? and where?

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We live on 20 acres south of Calgary, about 8 kms east of High River (a town that has been in the news for flooding recently).

We are 15 mins from where we used to live in the City of Calgary (we lived in the south of the City) so we are a short drive from the City.

High River is 5 mins one way (great for purchasing farming equipment, crap for purchasing much else) and 10 mins or so from Okotoks (from my perspective, the same as any of the "shopping" communities in Calgary).

I work in the heart of downtown Calgary and my trip is approximately 1 hour each way (part driving, part train).

I am at work at the moment so I am struggling to find photos to give you a sense of how rural this is but the two shots below are all I have at this time.
That's a rather passable view, very nice indeed.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:56 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a number of nice towns and "hamlets" to the North of Toronto around Peel Region, Halton Region or Wellington County. In most cases you'll be less than an hour from downtown Toronto (traffic permitting)
Old Jul 29th 2013, 9:00 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

How about this one?

http://www.lynnwoodcroft.com/viewlisting.php?id=562182
Old Jul 29th 2013, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
We discovered that it was very hard to find something when we were looking. It seemed to us that either the land was perfect, or the house was. It was impossible to find both.

We didn't want to have a gravel road access as we didn't want to have to drive trucks all the time. We are very fortunate in that we found one that is rural enough for us (all our neighbours have 20 acres lots - there are 10 or so and then it is farmland), but less then 5 minutes drive from a major highway and easy access to the city.

We spent days looking at properties that, online, looked fantastic but which proved to be problematic due to state of the residence, state of the land or due to access.

We still don't have a proper tractor. I have a 22HP ride on mower thing which keeps me amused, but we will need a larger farmer's type of tractor that we can run mowers, rakers, balers, blade, etc. from. Our snow clearing ability consists of a quad with a blade at the moment. Fortunately, we have a paved drive so that copes with most of the snow we get but, last year, it was drifting so badly that it couldn't cope. Fortunately, our neighbour came over with a huge bobcat with an articulating blade and did our entire drive in about 1 minute with no issues at all.

Without the correct equipment, it pays to have a plentiful supply of alcohol on hand.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 9:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There are villages, I live on the edge of a village of 1200. This morning I walked down to the diner for breakfast with some workmates. I called in at the post office and pharmacy, had a look around the gift shop closing down sale. There are a couple of convenience stores, two gas stations, a chinese canadian restaurant, a chippy, a coffee shop, a pizza place, laundromat, hairdressers, gift stores, dollar store, fishing tackle store, home hardware, a beer store, LCBO, the Legion, a supermarket, an arena, baseball diamond, soccer pitch. Various churches, a marina, a public school, oo a chip wagon and a farmers' market. Couple antique and junk stores. I think that's it.

We're 35 mins from a 70,000 peep city, 20 from a 4000 peeps town, 40 mins from Lake Ontario. just under 2 hours from Toronto. 90 mins from a decent curry or Chinese food.

There are smaller places with just a few houses, you can be off the grid if you want. Plenty of places like it, better even.
Isn't that a small town?
Old Jul 29th 2013, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ugo51
I would imagine (but it's just a supposition) that in the central provinces is somehow easier to escape to the country, but south Ontario and BC look really crammed
Let's put "crammed" into perspective.

First consider Southern Ontario as defined here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Ontario

Population is approx 12.1 million in a total area of 52,860 square miles. Population density is therefore 227 people per square mile.

Now consider the UK as a whole. Population is 63.2 million in a total area of 94,060 square miles. Population density is therefore 670 people per square mile.

So the UK as a whole (including all those very rural areas of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) has a population density almost THREE times that of Southern Ontario. So which one is more rural?
Old Jul 29th 2013, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Nearest place to where I live is the village of Valemount - pop around 1000. Definitely a village!

(Doh - I meant to quote siouxie's last post!)

Last edited by AlexInBC; Jul 29th 2013 at 9:24 pm. Reason: Added explaination of seemingly random comment!
Old Jul 29th 2013, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute

that's lovely!

but...is that the price of the house or the house+ land???

Last edited by Ugo51; Jul 29th 2013 at 9:28 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ugo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond reputeUgo51 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We live on 20 acres south of Calgary, about 8 kms east of High River (a town that has been in the news for flooding recently).

We are 15 mins from where we used to live in the City of Calgary (we lived in the south of the City) so we are a short drive from the City.

High River is 5 mins one way (great for purchasing farming equipment, crap for purchasing much else) and 10 mins or so from Okotoks (from my perspective, the same as any of the "shopping" communities in Calgary).

I work in the heart of downtown Calgary and my trip is approximately 1 hour each way (part driving, part train).

I am at work at the moment so I am struggling to find photos to give you a sense of how rural this is but the two shots below are all I have at this time.

that looks absolutely lovely!
one hour is not too bad. I used to take the same amount of time going from Paisley to Glasgow...and it's only 8 miles!
Old Jul 29th 2013, 9:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

that's lovely!

This 212 Acre Farm Includes A House, A Large Barn With Hydro, Approximately 60 Acres Of Workable Land, 106 Acres Of Mixed Forest, 10 Acres Of Pasture And A Lovely Wetland. This Large Intact Parcel Of Land Is A Rare Find And A Definitely Must See.

Old Jul 29th 2013, 10:28 pm
limey party pooper

that's lovely!

House and land. Bears seen regularly at Buckhorn dump! Nice area, canadian shield so rugged countryside.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 10:30 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by siouxie
Isn't that a small town?
Er no, it's a village. That's what the locals call it.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 10:36 pm
limey party pooper

The village I was brought up in in England has 5000 people and far fewer amenities, apart from a couple of decent pubs and public transit. I find that is typical of villages and towns around here, probably to do with the distances involved.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Nova Scotia is basically all rural Halifax is the only remotely large city.. where we stay the 'big towns' have populations around the 7000 mark. And yet there is still all the shops we need!
We moved from Glasgow in search of a more rural life, and love it here Now.. if we could just get some income going
Old Jul 29th 2013, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

we live on a 6 acre plot between Sylvan Lake and Rocky Mountain House, Alberta.
It is a 45 minute drive to Red Deer for work. We have a couple of neighbours near, one across the highway and the others are about .5 and 1 km north and south of us.

The drive in the winter is a bit of a pain, but then most drives in the winter are a pain.
This shot was taken about 3 years ago
Attached Thumbnails Rural Canada - how is it? and where?-ariel-view.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.