Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Returning to UK with a dog

Returning to UK with a dog

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 5:47 pm
End of the line

IceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Returning to UK with a dog

Originally Posted by Posidrive
When we shipped our 2 German Shepherds to Calgary the best thing that could be said about the Ladyhaye price was they were a little cheaper than Airpets, but not much (about 2200 pounds) . Ended up using Airpets anyway because they could handle the dates that we wanted.
I think that I'll just do it myself. His pet passport is ok, so I think it is just a case of booking my ticket and then phoning through to sort out his.

We've got his crate that we brought him over in, so we know thats ok. I can't think theres much else I need.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Ice Maiden - this maybe isn't the thread to ask, and I may have missed something on other threads - but I am curious - may I ask why you are returning to the UK after 6 months in Canada anyway ? Hope that's not too personal, but if it is, I'm happy to butt out again !
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

gopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant future

hi ice maiden- just checking that the post rabies vaccination blood test has been done as i think it is a 6 month wait after the test is done before you can take the dog back into the uk
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:23 pm
End of the line

IceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gopher
hi ice maiden- just checking that the post rabies vaccination blood test has been done as i think it is a 6 month wait after the test is done before you can take the dog back into the uk
Well he had his original and then he has had his booster - I'm assuming that he doesn't need to wait 6 mths after his booster????????
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:24 pm
End of the line

Originally Posted by ann m
Ice Maiden - this maybe isn't the thread to ask, and I may have missed something on other threads - but I am curious - may I ask why you are returning to the UK after 6 months in Canada anyway ? Hope that's not too personal, but if it is, I'm happy to butt out again !
Purely personal reasons. Nothing to do with Canada.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:27 pm
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all

It's expensive and full of hassles but if you do everything correctly you should have no problems.

The three biggest pains for us when we brough our pooch back last year were:

1. A 2 hour round-trip to get the flea and tick treatment the day before departure.
2. Finding the cargo office at Calgary (it was a mile from the main terminal)
3. The 3 hour delay at LHR whilst the animal reception folk did their stuff.

Did I mention the cost?!! :scared:

Ian.

Originally Posted by IceMaiden
Has anyone done this?

How easy/straight forward is it? We have only been here 6months and all his innoculations etc are up to date. What can we expect at the other end? i.e. LHR.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 11:34 pm
End of the line

Originally Posted by Chops
It's expensive and full of hassles but if you do everything correctly you should have no problems.

1. A 2 hour round-trip to get the flea and tick treatment the day before departure.

Ian.
Thanks Ian.

I will be travelling from Toronto. Hopefully next week if I can get it all sorted out.

I have his pet passport and will get the flea n tick treatment

Do I need to contact the animal reception folk to arrange anything?
Is it easy to find at LHR?

What was the cost? :scared:
Old Oct 4th 2006, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

gopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant futuregopher has a brilliant future

Well he had his original and then he has had his booster - I'm assuming that he doesn't need to wait 6 mths after his booster????????
i may be wrong but i think you will find once he has had his vaccine then he will need to be blood tested to ensure he is immunised but the uk gov want 6 mths between the all clear form the blood test to allowing them into the country
Old Oct 4th 2006, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Ian.
Hi,
Dare I ask the cost?
We will be returning as soon as we can...with 9 dogs!
Old Oct 4th 2006, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

andrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshine Girl
Hi,
Dare I ask the cost?
We will be returning as soon as we can...with 9 dogs!
yikes!!! 9 dogs!!!! rather you than me!!!
Old Oct 4th 2006, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by andrewrob
yikes!!! 9 dogs!!!! rather you than me!!!
Wanna swap a Little Britain for one!
You must be going 'Home' very shortly..and I'm jealous!!!
Best Regards.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

andrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshine Girl
Wanna swap a Little Britain for one!
You must be going 'Home' very shortly..and I'm jealous!!!
Best Regards.
sorry, the dvd's are all packed away with the rest of the stuff we're shipping....they came on friday to get all our stuff. just a couple of weeks to go. nice try though ...
Old Oct 4th 2006, 10:13 am
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all

To be honest I can't remember the cost either £400 or $400, either way it was more to get the dog home than us.

There is also fees to pay at LHR; I think there is a £50 charge for someone to go to the plane and take the crate/dog to the reception centre.

MAKE SURE you get the flea and tick thing done in the right time scale (within 48 hours of departure IIRC). When we were collecting ours some people collecting two cats were turned away because their flea/tick thing was about 12 hours over the 48. They had to then be treated at LHR and the people come back the next day. Not too bad if you are local to LHR but if you're miles away.....

Check the flea and tick drugs are correct too. We bought a can of spray for fleas from the local pet shop and the vet did the injection and sprayed the dog. You MUST make sure the active ingredients are the ones required by DEFRA.

God knows how much the total cost was but I would guess the whole trip was in excess of £800, more than both of our tickets put together!

On a positive note; the staff at LHR animal reception were wonderful as were the airport people on the oubound flight. The baggage handlers at YYC just dumped the crate in the middle of the baggage collection area whilst the missus was grilled for some considerable time by immigration (I had flown over the week before).

The animal recpetion are at LHR is easy to find and they have sofas you lounge about on while you wait.

I can't remember if you need to contact them, give them a call and I'm sure they will be answer any questions over the phone.

I think the cargo agents do the contacting but you had best check this. A good part of the excessive cost is the fact the dog goes by cargo via an agent.

Good luck,

Ian.

Thanks Ian.

I will be travelling from Toronto. Hopefully next week if I can get it all sorted out.

I have his pet passport and will get the flea n tick treatment

Do I need to contact the animal reception folk to arrange anything?
Is it easy to find at LHR?

What was the cost? :scared:

Last edited by Chops; Oct 4th 2006 at 10:23 am.
Old Oct 4th 2006, 10:19 am
Livin' it large in BC.

After the initial jab the dog needs an anitbody test a few weeks later then a booster every 2 years but no further tests.

The booster must be every 2 years otherwise the vacination and test has to be re-done.

I think the 6 months is minimum time from having the vaccination and being allowed to re-enter the country i.e. you can't have the vaccination, do the antibody test a few weeks later then go abroad for a week.

Originally Posted by gopher
i may be wrong but i think you will find once he has had his vaccine then he will need to be blood tested to ensure he is immunised but the uk gov want 6 mths between the all clear form the blood test to allowing them into the country
Old Oct 4th 2006, 10:57 am
End of the line

After the initial jab the dog needs an anitbody test a few weeks later then a booster every 2 years but no further tests.

The booster must be every 2 years otherwise the vacination and test has to be re-done.

I think the 6 months is minimum time from having the vaccination and being allowed to re-enter the country i.e. you can't have the vaccination, do the antibody test a few weeks later then go abroad for a week.
Thanks Ian, you are a hero.

I am just going to the vet this morning as she forgot to sign the pet passport when she did his booster. (Hopefully she can make sure he will have the correct flea n tic treament for next week) Then I shall phone the agents at LHR to make sure that I have everything ok. I am hoping to fly home next Wed if I can get it all sorted. As its a night flight he can have his flea n tic jab done the day before and he will be ok.

God my head is going round and round. I still have so much more to organise too but the dog is the most important one at the mo. If I can get him back all ok then I am sure that everything else will fall into place. (Well I hope so anyway).

Thanks for all your imput. It is really helpful. I do appreciate it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.