Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Resume / CV Advice please

Resume / CV Advice please

Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:40 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resume / CV Advice please

Originally Posted by Patsy
I dont know what the fuss is all about when i read agencies stating that they will happily change a UK cv to a canadian resume? I sent a good ole british cv off to a company in ontario on behalf of hubby. Started off with a few lines about himself, work experience, starting with present job, followed by qualifications. I had positive feedback from them all......one saying-

quote.. I will definetly keep your resume on file. Let me know when
you have a better idea when you will be moving. Definetly interested- great
resume! Keep me posted! Take care and good luck with immigration-unquote..
Similar story. Sent my UK CV in application for job ad whilst in the process of emmigrating and eventually got the job. Also have since then recruited locally for my team and cant really recall any significant differences between UK and Canadian CV's!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Interested
Hi,

You can check out Monster.ca and also workopolis.ca, they have tips on resumes, interviews etc.

A site that I really like is this one: www.quintcareers.com.

I'm not sure if you are in canada yet, but there are always loads of "How to make a resume" books in your local library!

Another thing that is different to the U.K. is sending a Thank you note/e-mail/letter after an interview! This is pretty much essential.

I am fortunate and had my resume checked and revised by a career councellor as part of a course that I took.I also asked a friend and a family member to look it over!! It's served me really well and have had a 95% hit rate with it. I'm not sure if you will have access to a careers advisor, but if you have any Canadian contacts you could ask them to look it over for you!

Good luck, let me know how it goes!

Interested

Im a careers adviser (but here in Uk, not canada) im willing to look over CV's if anyone wants me to....

incase those who know are wondering.....yes i am a teacher..also a careers adviser...before that i was a fashion buyer, before that i was QA inspector in montreal...before that bla bla bla......lifes too short to be stuck in one place for too long......hmm what can i do now? i know....emigrate to canada!!!

thought the above might give those who worry about leaving secure jobs some inspiration lol

Last edited by Patsy; Aug 31st 2005 at 9:12 am.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of

try also www.resumeworldinc.com and check out resume tips side which offers templates and examples.