Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Restrictive Covenants...again

Wikiposts

Restrictive Covenants...again

Old Mar 17th 2010, 10:44 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restrictive Covenants...again

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Probably worth checking if it's the Town of Paradise (motto 'show us green space and we'll show you a new subdivision) to the developer. For us, it was an existing house and the back/side of the lot. We just had rock fill so had 15 loads of topsoil trucked in and spread to a depth of 6". (paid someone to do this). I then seeded and fertilised, watered a bit (but not too much because we are on a well). This was an exceptionally warm spring (05 IIRC) and about 6 weeks later we had a lush lawn!
AX, can I ask how much the soil , laying and seed cost you in total. We will be on just over and acre but I reckon only about 2/3 max will be landscaped so how much did your half acre cost you ?
Old Mar 18th 2010, 12:08 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
AX, can I ask how much the soil , laying and seed cost you in total. We will be on just over and acre but I reckon only about 2/3 max will be landscaped so how much did your half acre cost you ?
Hmm, Somewhere in the order of $5000 if my memory serves. That was for grading in prepatation for 2 loads of fill, 15 loads of topsoil and spreading out to 6" deep. Oh yes, and included installing a french drain from front to back. Topsoil generally runs $200 a load around here. It's worth checking on the quality of the soil/provider because we've bought some truly crappy soil subsequently (too many rocks, and in one instance too many weed seeds in it!)

Process was to take this:

Add 15 of these:

Do a bit of this:

and some of this:

resulting in this!

Old Mar 18th 2010, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Nice Job Can you come down and do mine in May ?
Old Mar 18th 2010, 12:49 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
Nice Job Can you come down and do mine in May ?
Certainly. In the current climate, that'll be $25k sir!
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

I dont have 25 k but i have a sh1t load of beer
Old Mar 18th 2010, 1:31 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Perfect thank you. I think that is the way we will go, less than half the cost of soil and sod laying.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:01 am
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Tangram
Perfect thank you. I think that is the way we will go, less than half the cost of soil and sod laying.
Update: I happened across the invoice for this work at the weekend. It was nearer $7k than $5k! Cheaper than sodding though.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 8:48 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Update: I happened across the invoice for this work at the weekend. It was nearer $7k than $5k! Cheaper than sodding though.
Thanks mate.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Probably worth checking if it's the Town of Paradise (motto 'show us green space and we'll show you a new subdivision) to the developer. For us, it was an existing house and the back/side of the lot. We just had rock fill so had 15 loads of topsoil trucked in and spread to a depth of 6". (paid someone to do this). I then seeded and fertilised, watered a bit (but not too much because we are on a well). This was an exceptionally warm spring (05 IIRC) and about 6 weeks later we had a lush lawn!

Its the developer karwood that has that in so its not really worth the paper its written on -
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

barrett will become famous soon enoughbarrett will become famous soon enough

another point since you said you are rural, and many get delayed from this: seeding/sodding must be done over a septic field to obtain an occupancy permit