Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

resignation notice period

resignation notice period

Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold
Default resignation notice period

Hi all.

I am currently employed as a temporary employee by a school board here in Ontario. My employment was a temp contract until the end of the school year. However, I have been offered an amazing permanent job and they want me to start asap. I have checked my collective agreement and can find nothing regarding how much notice I am required to provide. I plan to resign tomorrow first thing and I know I can just ask tomorrow, but I am curious to know what you guys think might be the rules or the etiquette involved. I don't want to leave on bad terms, on the other hand I have not been treated all that well by my employer and have no heartfelt feeling about leaving! So, does anyone have any insight into notice required for a temp employee?

Thanks
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: resignation notice period

Originally Posted by cancov
Hi all.

I am currently employed as a temporary employee by a school board here in Ontario. My employment was a temp contract until the end of the school year. However, I have been offered an amazing permanent job and they want me to start asap. I have checked my collective agreement and can find nothing regarding how much notice I am required to provide. I plan to resign tomorrow first thing and I know I can just ask tomorrow, but I am curious to know what you guys think might be the rules or the etiquette involved. I don't want to leave on bad terms, on the other hand I have not been treated all that well by my employer and have no heartfelt feeling about leaving! So, does anyone have any insight into notice required for a temp employee?

Thanks
An interesting question and I am amazed no one has responded yet.

In my experience periods of notice are one-sided in that the employer has to give an employee notice. In practice often pay is provided in lieu of notice as no one wants a disgruntled employee around who can damage morale and cause of other havoc.

That you've been not well treated is neither here or there. There is no room for sentimentality or decency or good manners. It is a business and employers have no loyalty towards employees; thus the reverse applies.

As to your contract there is nothing to stipulate you must give notice from what you say so you are free to waltz out anytime. You have an opportunity so bloody well take it. Don't worry about the how they might feel. The opportunity is NOW and if you hesitate it might be awhile till the next time.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 1:21 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Do what feels right.

You are a Jedi - you know where the force lies

R.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot depends on whether you might want to go back there sometime; personally I've tried not to leave companies on bad terms just in case... though most of them have gone bankrupt since, so it didn't really help .

I'd try to find a happy compromise if possible; if another week would let you at least get whatever you're doing into a state that someone else can easily take over, then they're far more likely to give you a decent reference in the future, if you need one.

Last edited by MarkG; Apr 14th 2008 at 2:08 am.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 2:07 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

You never know who you will need a reference from in the future. Leave on bad terms and an employer may contact any of your former employers for a reference.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see eye-to-eye on the other comments. If this is a situation where the next employer needs you pronto and it is really worth the switch then I would say go for it.

But if you can arrange a short term transition period then so much the better.

If you are likely to be back on the job market soon (within a year) then you just might need that reference. But if in future (a few years) hence you need that reference then it is likely they will have forgotten you walked out on them.

What is more it relevant is your work record and if it is good (as I assume it to be) then it is to your credit. But if it isn't then even if you gave 'proper' notice likely it won't make any difference anyways. Point here is one can't be too careful. Sometimes one must trust ones instincts.

Let us know how it unravels.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the advice.

The good thing about the reference situation is that my "immediate supervisor" is now retired, well respected name, and is more than happy to give me a great reference (as he did for this job offer). I will be able to connect future employers with him in the future. In any case I am really hoping that this job will turn out to be a long term career move.

In terms of my current situation at work....well my main task was to help develop and implement a new program, which I have done. I am now working within that program as an 'extra' until my contract ends in June. They have made it quite clear that in the new year they will not be making my position permanent so in my mind they are just using me right now anyways! So, I don't feel guilt about leaving, and there is no issue of replacing me, because they wouldn't be doing that anyways.

My new boss wants to provide me with the chance to have an overlap with the person I will be replacing (who leaves at the end of the month), which I see as really valuable for my induction. I figure that I can tie up loose ends at work this week with my last day being friday. Would that seem unreasonable, given what I have described? Then I could start the new job Monday.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cancov
Thanks for all the advice.

In terms of my current situation at work....well my main task was to help develop and implement a new program, which I have done. I am now working within that program as an 'extra' until my contract ends in June. They have made it quite clear that in the new year they will not be making my position permanent so in my mind they are just using me right now anyways! So, I don't feel guilt about leaving, and there is no issue of replacing me, because they wouldn't be doing that anyways.

My new boss wants to provide me with the chance to have an overlap with the person I will be replacing (who leaves at the end of the month), which I see as really valuable for my induction. I figure that I can tie up loose ends at work this week with my last day being friday. Would that seem unreasonable, given what I have described? Then I could start the new job Monday.
I suggest that is the route you should take. In effect you are giving them a week notice and your main task is over anyways. In any event you will be unemployed in a few weeks.

Do you honestly believe your current employer would seriously expect you to risk losing an opportunity now all for the sake of hanging on for a while and displaying some loyalty?

I figure it is a no brainer.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Some 30 years ago I hired a person and he stayed a week having been offered a better job . I was disappointed even shocked. I was angry too since I had to go through the hiring process all over again.

Today with a bit more wisdom (at least I hope so) I realise he did the right thing.

Take care of number one!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

I work for a Quebec school board (as a teacher). Many of the school boards cross pollinate in QC - they work very closely at times. My advise: play it very safe and really talk to your bosses - explain your situation. Do not burn any bridges.

In my school board they blacklist lousy teachers - they only end up with sub work and fill-in contracts (=no tenure). I've seen these guys wandering from school-to school, year-after-year, even bumping about other school boards. Like a bad penny, they are never kept for long.

Just some words of encouragement.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Just to let you all know that I spoke with my acting supervisor who didn't actually know the 'rule' with respect to notice periods. He said he'd find out and call me back. I let him know I was hoping to make friday my last day. He called back and said Friday was fine, and to just confirm that via email to someone in HR. He then said to copy it to him and the VP in charge of where I work. He said my leaving was the board's loss and that I will be missed.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm glad this worked out well. Oh and I remembered that friday is a PD day so I will have the day to get all the last minute admin things done before I go.

Kellie