Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vineyard Tours

Vineyard Tours

Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:27 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Vineyard Tours

Can anyone recommend one? Preferably one that is extremely accessible from Toronto- better yet one that picks you up and drops you home!

Cheers.

Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:37 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vineyard Tours

We did one that picks up and drops off at the Marriot on Yonge.

Small parties of 10 or less and they took us to about 5 wineries which is more than enough for one day. Reasonably priced as I remember and plenty of tastings (though frankly I was sick of the stuff by the 3rd tasting).

If you go into the lobby of the hotel there will no doubt be leaflets available.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 1:42 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
We did one that picks up and drops off at the Marriot on Yonge.

Small parties of 10 or less and they took us to about 5 wineries which is more than enough for one day. Reasonably priced as I remember and plenty of tastings (though frankly I was sick of the stuff by the 3rd tasting).

If you go into the lobby of the hotel there will no doubt be leaflets available.
The Marriott just North of Carlton?

Cheers.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:27 pm

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geo4
The Marriott just North of Carlton?

Cheers.
I think that's the one. They run the tours from both downtown Marriots in any case as we dropped off other tour member there.

It was an enjoyable day and you get to see some of the smaller growers too.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:46 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone recommend one? Preferably one that is extremely accessible from Toronto- better yet one that picks you up and drops you home!
The Napa Valley is but a short plane ride away and has the added advantage of not subjecting you to the horrors of Canadian wine.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz;
The Napa Valley is but a short plane ride away and has the added advantage of not subjecting you to the horrors of Canadian wine.
Now when I first came to Canada in 1982 I wouldn't have had anything to quibble about there, but there has been a revolution in the quality of Niagara wines in the last 15 years or so. Believe me there is nothing horrible about much (indeed most) Ontario wine any more.

Dunno about BC though.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

We went to http://www.jacksontriggswinery.com/en/ on the Niagara Peninsula a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. Good tour, knowledgeable guide. And some very nice wines afterwards. Cool building as well...
Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:12 pm
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by bodgerx
We went to http://www.jacksontriggswinery.com/en/ on the Niagara Peninsula a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. Good tour, knowledgeable guide. And some very nice wines afterwards. Cool building as well...
Yeah I've driven past their vineyard before. The building is very cool.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:18 pm

Yeah I've driven past their vineyard before. The building is very cool.
That was one of the places they took us to on the tour. The AC throughout was a blessing and the cellars are quite neat in a faux barreled ceiling sort of way.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of

Jackson Triggs Pinot Grigio is really nice...mmmh can't wait to taste it in a few weks
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Dunno about BC though.
As long as you are prepared to pay over $15 a bottle there are some very drinkable BC wines. They are typically New World; full of in-your-face varietal style.

$15-$20 is my limit for price because I don't have the understanding to enjoy the difference between a $20 bottle and a $35 one. Some people say that the finest Okanagan wines are as good as anywhere in the world. I'll take their word on that.

Finances dictate that most of the time I drink BC wine at less than $10 a bottle. It's a bit more hit or miss but with a bit of experimentation you can find wines that will get you very pleasantly sozzled at this price. The experimentation can be fun too ...
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As long as you are prepared to pay over $15 a bottle there are some very drinkable BC wines. They are typically New World; full of in-your-face varietal style.

$15-$20 is my limit for price because I don't have the understanding to enjoy the difference between a $20 bottle and a $35 one. Some people say that the finest Okanagan wines are as good as anywhere in the world. I'll take their word on that.

Finances dictate that most of the time I drink BC wine at less than $10 a bottle. It's a bit more hit or miss but with a bit of experimentation you can find wines that will get you very pleasantly sozzled at this price. The experimentation can be fun too ...
Canadian wine buffs I've spoken to wouldn't touch BC wines. They'll happily drop $50 on a Californian bottle, but you get so much more for your money not buying Canadian plonk.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 1:33 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
They'll happily drop $50 on a Californian bottle
Gulp (ha ha)

I've changed my mind about education always being a good thing. If I educated my palette to enjoy $50 bottles of wine I'd be in the poor house by the end of the summer.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Gulp (ha ha)

I've changed my mind about education always being a good thing. If I educated my palette to enjoy $50 bottles of wine I'd be in the poor house by the end of the summer.
The chap in question is a lawyer with a very attractive wife, so fortunately I felt no qualms at all in chugging back a few glasses of the stuff. It was probably very nice.