research trip

Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

HellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura about
Default research trip

Hi
My husband has been offered a job in Vancouver so to help with the big decision the whole family (2 adult 2 boys aged 9 & 6) are taking a 2 week vacation/research trip in May.
Has anyone out there done the same thing and if so what did they manage to get from it? And if so what do you wish you'd done, with hind sight?
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:22 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: research trip

Originally Posted by HellyWelly
Hi
My husband has been offered a job in Vancouver so to help with the big decision the whole family (2 adult 2 boys aged 9 & 6) are taking a 2 week vacation/research trip in May.
Has anyone out there done the same thing and if so what did they manage to get from it? And if so what do you wish you'd done, with hind sight?
It may be worth taking a look at relocation2bc.com as they may well be able to help you out with some bits.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

HellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura aboutHellyWelly has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
It may be worth taking a look at relocation2bc.com as they may well be able to help you out with some bits.
Thanks for that. Looks very interesting and useful.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:33 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HellyWelly
Thanks for that. Looks very interesting and useful.
Good luck with your trip and I hope you enjoy yourselves!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Good luck with your trip and I hope you enjoy yourselves!
Thanks. Very excited about coming over. My husband loved it when he visited earlier this year.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:13 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at the wiki http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Scouting_Trip-Canada
This might help a bit.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:22 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I endorse the excellent Wiki article to which Surrey Expat provided you a link, and of which he is the author.

The Brits 2 Vancouver forum is a great source of information.

I know that, on a recce, you have to look at practical things, like residential areas, schools, supermarkets, commuting times, etc. But, specially because you'll have your kids with you, you need to have some fun too. The Find Family Fun website is fantastic. It was created by a real life Vancouver family with 3 children.

As it gets closer to the time of your move, and your move starts to feel more real, you may find it helpful to read the BE Wiki articles in the section called Canada Moving Logistics.

Hope that helps.
x
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, there is also this website that may be of use http://groups.yahoo.com/group/van-immi/
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Take a look at the wiki http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Scouting_Trip-Canada
This might help a bit.
Thanks for all those links. This is my 1st thread ever and I haven't found my way around all the website yet, so very helpful.
Especially agree with the kids needing fun too, we've been invited on a camping trip with future boss so that's one in the pipeline