Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renting out a NS house while in UK

Renting out a NS house while in UK

Old Mar 17th 2020, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

seascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the rough
Default Renting out a NS house while in UK

Hi, we have a house in NS which we want to try renting out for short term lets when we're not there, at least for a couple years until we can use it more. We are resident in UK and tax payers there. As we have some other business activity in NS we are likely to be there perhaps June and Sept so this would be rented say July - Aug. I'd like to understand the tax implications of this and have done some reading but would appreciate some ideas from those who have already done this. Obv I would like to claim back allowable expenses against the income and pay tax on the net amount. I assume I would have to file a tax return in Canada, form NR6 lets me use net rental rather than gross rental so I would go down that route. When it comes time to do UK tax return I would include this foreign income and somehow avoid double taxation of the amount. Any tips on this process if you've had the experience would be great to hear. Thanks
Old Mar 17th 2020, 6:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting out a NS house while in UK

Are you Canadian Citizens or PR's?
Old Mar 17th 2020, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

seascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Renting out a NS house while in UK

Hi, my wife is dual Canadian and U.K. and I’m UK.