Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

low- and modest-income families in Canada

low- and modest-income families in Canada

Old Mar 19th 2020, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Default low- and modest-income families in Canada

Hello,
1- What is considered a low income family in Canada and in BC specifically?
2- What is considered a modest income family in Canada and in BC specifically?
I searched but could not find a reliable current source.
The answers to these questions will allow to know whether we can apply to one of the programs mentioned in

Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan: Support for Canadians and Businesses

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-...usinesses.html

Thank you very much
Old Mar 19th 2020, 4:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: low- and modest-income families in Canada

@ Yasmina
I looked over that document yesterday and your question made me look again.

I doubt you will need to apply.

The assistance for families is based on existing GST credits (it also includes childless singles/couples) and an increase in Child benefit for the current year. The normal rates are calculated based on the previous year's tax returns. Just as the rates are adjusted each year automatically where you are already getting them, whatever additional payment is due would be calculated automatically and issued without a specific application.

Essentially, the tax return will identify who gets it without the need for an application.