Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renting in BC - What did you take?

Renting in BC - What did you take?

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in BC - What did you take?

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Although burning CDs and DVDs to a hard drive is eminently sensible, it is usually illegal.
its not, you can burn a copy for personal use if you own the original

it is difficult to rip DVDs onto hard-disk though...i planned to rip my whole collection but only managed 3 or 4 older ones that had less copy protection

a good way to do it is to use a program called "Alcohol 120%" and rip the DVD image onto Hard disk, then have a "virtual drive" set up to load the image on to and you can watch it like you've put the actual DVD disk into the DVDROM drive! again, as i mentioned, some have advanced copy protection that makes this difficult/impossible in some instances

as for the PS3 games...some of them will work...i brought FIFA13 and Call Of Duty from the UK with me and they play fine on my Canadian console
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 10:59 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Although burning CDs and DVDs to a hard drive is eminently sensible, it is usually illegal.
Not if you bought them - illegal that is.

Illegal if you steal them off the internet but the "grey" area is if you download them to check them out with the intention to buy if you like them - works for me.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 11:02 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
its not, you can burn a copy for personal use if you own the original
I realize these are new situations and the law is having to adapt to cope, but my understanding is that when you buy a CD you buy the plastic disk (which you own, can sell or give away as you choose). However, you don't own the music on the disk. You have bought a license to listen to the music contained on the disk in the format that exists on the disk. By ripping to another medium you are changing the format and so, technically at least, are in breach of the terms of the license.

I stand to be corrected

Last edited by JonboyE; Jan 3rd 2013 at 12:38 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

We brought almost everything and we are glad we did. Kids had a collection of DVDs which work with our UK DVD player(just with a normal adapter). We shipped our furniture but because we were moving from a 3 bedroom house to our four bedroom rental, we did need to buy some furniture here. We used the classifieds section of UsedVictoria and got some reasonable items for the bedrooms.
We brought all bedding as we knew the beds were different sizes here.
Some of our electrical stuff works well with a transformer but we didn't bring that much with us; we knew we'd be buying new items when we got here. We had been "biding our time" at home over the last two years and hadn't bought new TVs etc as we thought it would be best to get them here on arrival. My husband had good fun on his technology buying as he got here three months before the kids and I did
It was nice to arrive to see our stuff which we hadn't seen for four months, just that familiarity of our belongings helped the rental feel like home.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

I realize these are new situations and the law is having to adapt to cope, but my understanding is that when you buy a CD you buy the plastic disk (which you own, can sell or give away as you choose). However, you don't own the music on the disk. You have bought a license to listen to the music contained on the disk in the format that exists on the disk. By ripping to another medium you are changing the format and so, technically at least, are in breach of the terms of the license.

I stand to be corrected
I believe your interpretation to be for the USA.

Not sure about Canada but I think in the UK it is techinically illegal for companies to put DRM on disks unless the company that sells you the disk provides a free replacement system incase of damage.

Most companies still put DRM on the disks with loopholes around the DRM.

Even when you buy music on Itunes it is possible to 'burn' the music through loopholes in their software.

I could also be wrong as I have never personally seen a law to suggest one way or the other but this is just all hearsay.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:38 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

The governing body in the UK have recently changed there stance on this. Which is common sense as most people I know burn there music and movies as a minimum to playback on an MP3 player, smart phone or tablet. After all if its for personal use and you legally bought the music or movie you should be able to do what you want with it, within reason and of course for personal use. Would be surprised to see a judge/court penalise something that has been going on for years and something that if in the realms of personal use does not harm anyone.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Mimzy is an unknown quantity at this point

We shipped most of our stuff and I am glad we did. We brought beds, sofas, dinning table set, TVs, DVD player, coffee tables, piano, all our Dvds and cds, plates, mugs name it. We did not bring any of the small kitchen appliances as they can easily be replaced. We found that it is cheaper to bring our stuff than to replace them as we would not be getting their worth if we sold them before leaving the UK.
We still need to buy a few things since the houses here can be sometimes bigger than the UK.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

sparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nicesparksman is just really nice

we just brought 4 suitcases and some books and personal items. none of my furniture in uk was that brilliant in the first place!

there are a few items that we may ship out in a year or two if we decide to stay long term like an old coffee table and a few smaller items and boxes of photos etc.

we brought a new bed and did a trip to ikea for cheap and cheerful stuff and lots of bits second hand like a sofa!

hope that helps!

Jodie x
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
The governing body in the UK have recently changed there stance on this. Which is common sense as most people I know burn there music and movies as a minimum to playback on an MP3 player, smart phone or tablet. After all if its for personal use and you legally bought the music or movie you should be able to do what you want with it, within reason and of course for personal use. Would be surprised to see a judge/court penalise something that has been going on for years and something that if in the realms of personal use does not harm anyone.
Oh, I agree, but the law (at least as I know it) does not seem to have caught up with technology.

Think of a book. You can buy a book, read it, and sell it. That is all very legal. You own the book (the medium). However, you never own the contents. You can't, for example, photocopy the contents and sell those. In fact, there is a whole host of restrictions over what you can and cannot do inside the frontpiece of a book. It seems more restrictive in the UK than in North America.

AFAIK, the same applies to a CD. You can buy it, listen to it, and sell it. You own the disk (the medium). However, you don't own the music on it. Obviously, making copies and selling them is illegal. But, how about making copies for personal use? I believe that, technically at least, it is a violation of the license agreement you have to listen to the music.

In the US the Recording Industry Association of America says:

Copying CDs

* It’s okay to copy music onto an analog cassette, but not for commercial purposes.
* It’s also okay to copy music onto special Audio CD-R’s, mini-discs, and digital tapes (because royalties have been paid on them) – but, again, not for commercial purposes.
* Beyond that, there’s no legal "right" to copy the copyrighted music on a CD onto a CD-R. However, burning a copy of CD onto a CD-R, or transferring a copy onto your computer hard drive or your portable music player, won’t usually raise concerns so long as:
a) The copy is made from an authorized original CD that you legitimately own
b) The copy is just for your personal use. It’s not a personal use – in fact, it’s illegal – to give away the copy or lend it to others for copying.
* The owners of copyrighted music have the right to use protection technology to allow or prevent copying.
* Remember, it’s never okay to sell or make commercial use of a copy that you make.

In other words, you don't have a right to copy CDs but we won't make a fuss if it doesn't cost us anything.

Incidently, if you buy music online you can never own it. You can't sell it or allow anyone else access to it, and the license to listen to it expires when you do.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I agree, but the law (at least as I know it) does not seem to have caught up with technology.

Think of a book. You can buy a book, read it, and sell it. That is all very legal. You own the book (the medium). However, you never own the contents. You can't, for example, photocopy the contents and sell those. In fact, there is a whole host of restrictions over what you can and cannot do inside the frontpiece of a book. It seems more restrictive in the UK than in North America.

AFAIK, the same applies to a CD. You can buy it, listen to it, and sell it. You own the disk (the medium). However, you don't own the music on it. Obviously, making copies and selling them is illegal. But, how about making copies for personal use? I believe that, technically at least, it is a violation of the license agreement you have to listen to the music.

In the US the Recording Industry Association of America says:

Copying CDs

* It’s okay to copy music onto an analog cassette, but not for commercial purposes.
* It’s also okay to copy music onto special Audio CD-R’s, mini-discs, and digital tapes (because royalties have been paid on them) – but, again, not for commercial purposes.
* Beyond that, there’s no legal "right" to copy the copyrighted music on a CD onto a CD-R. However, burning a copy of CD onto a CD-R, or transferring a copy onto your computer hard drive or your portable music player, won’t usually raise concerns so long as:
a) The copy is made from an authorized original CD that you legitimately own
b) The copy is just for your personal use. It’s not a personal use – in fact, it’s illegal – to give away the copy or lend it to others for copying.
* The owners of copyrighted music have the right to use protection technology to allow or prevent copying.
* Remember, it’s never okay to sell or make commercial use of a copy that you make.

In other words, you don't have a right to copy CDs but we won't make a fuss if it doesn't cost us anything.

Incidently, if you buy music online you can never own it. You can't sell it or allow anyone else access to it, and the license to listen to it expires when you do.
Please clarify?

I'm asking this because I can make CD's out of all of my digital music through iTunes.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 4:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
Please clarify?

I'm asking this because I can make CD's out of all of my digital music through iTunes.
This explains it better than I can ...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...after-you-die/

Apple, and many others, now provides DRM-free files, allowing you to transfer the music onto a set number of other devices that you own -- including but not limited to Apple's own hardware -- but you cannot pass them legally on to other people.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

This explains it better than I can ...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...after-you-die/

Apple, and many others, now provides DRM-free files, allowing you to transfer the music onto a set number of other devices that you own -- including but not limited to Apple's own hardware -- but you cannot pass them legally on to other people.
From the article:

(•Audio playlists can be burned on CDs up to seven times, and the CD becomes subject to the same usage rules as a CD bought from a store

([O]nce you've acquired a lawfully-made CD or book or DVD, you can lend, sell, or give it away without having to get permission from the copyright owner. In simpler terms, "you bought it, you own it" (and because first sale also applies to gifts, "they gave it to you, you own it" is also true). )

Now I am getting somewhere, if I burn it onto a disk it then becomes a possession.

I know many ways to legally get the iTunes music on to a CD and as far as I know none of these methods have restrictions on the amount of times I can burn to a CD.

The article refers only to "terms and conditions" which although are a contract are not "law".

This is where the confusion comes into play what is law and what is subject to terms and conditions.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
From the article:

(•Audio playlists can be burned on CDs up to seven times, and the CD becomes subject to the same usage rules as a CD bought from a store

([O]nce you've acquired a lawfully-made CD or book or DVD, you can lend, sell, or give it away without having to get permission from the copyright owner. In simpler terms, "you bought it, you own it" (and because first sale also applies to gifts, "they gave it to you, you own it" is also true). )

Now I am getting somewhere, if I burn it onto a disk it then becomes a possession.

I know many ways to legally get the iTunes music on to a CD and as far as I know none of these methods have restrictions on the amount of times I can burn to a CD.

The article refers only to "terms and conditions" which although are a contract are not "law".

This is where the confusion comes into play what is law and what is subject to terms and conditions.
The breach of which would enable the other party to the contract to sue you.

JonboyE has it pretty much correct with the caveat that each jurisdiction has its own rules.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The breach of which would enable the other party to the contract to sue you.

JonboyE has it pretty much correct with the caveat that each jurisdiction has its own rules.
It would but again people get confused between the law and terms and conditions.

If a company put terms and conditions that breach the law then surely the contract is in breach of the law and therefore invalid.

This is an issue that has gone on before I was born VCRs/Tape decks i'm sure even 8 tracks as well. Every country has different laws and from what I have heard over the years is that the US sees the disk as the product whereas other countries see the contents as the product.

Don't forget that the issue brought up has been the 'copying' of legitimately owned products I.E. DVDs and CDs and iTunes is a very confusing aspect of that. iTunes still needs to abide by the same protocals unless they are exempt under another law, surely?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 6:26 pm
Binned by Muderators

As I don't particularly want to get started on the pile of work in front of me I decided to look up the Copyright Act in Canada. Here are two excerpts:

Reproduction for private purposes
• 29.22 (1) It is not an infringement of copyright for an individual to reproduce a work or other subject-matter or any substantial part of a work or other subject-matter if
o (a) the copy of the work or other subject-matter from which the reproduction is made is not an infringing copy;
o (b) the individual legally obtained the copy of the work or other subject-matter from which the reproduction is made, other than by borrowing it or renting it, and owns or is authorized to use the medium or device on which it is reproduced;
o (c) the individual, in order to make the reproduction, did not circumvent, as defined in section 41, a technological protection measure, as defined in that section, or cause one to be circumvented;
o (d) the individual does not give the reproduction away; and
o (e) the reproduction is used only for the individual’s private purposes.
• Meaning of “medium or device”
(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1)(b), a “medium or device” includes digital memory in which a work or subject-matter may be stored for the purpose of allowing the telecommunication of the work or other subject-matter through the Internet or other digital network.
• Marginal note:Limitation — audio recording medium
(3) In the case of a work or other subject-matter that is a musical work embodied in a sound recording, a performer’s performance of a musical work embodied in a sound recording or a sound recording in which a musical work or a performer’s performance of a musical work is embodied, subsection (1) does not apply if the reproduction is made onto an audio recording medium as defined in section 79.
• Marginal note:Limitation — destruction of reproductions
(4) Subsection (1) does not apply if the individual gives away, rents or sells the copy of the work or other subject-matter from which the reproduction is made without first destroying all reproductions of that copy that the individual has made under that subsection.

And:

Where no infringement of copyright
• 80. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the act of reproducing all or any substantial part of
o (a) a musical work embodied in a sound recording,
o (b) a performer’s performance of a musical work embodied in a sound recording, or
o (c) a sound recording in which a musical work, or a performer’s performance of a musical work, is embodied
onto an audio recording medium for the private use of the person who makes the copy does not constitute an infringement of the copyright in the musical work, the performer’s performance or the sound recording.
• Marginal note:Limitation
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if the act described in that subsection is done for the purpose of doing any of the following in relation to any of the things referred to in paragraphs (1)(a) to (c):
o (a) selling or renting out, or by way of trade exposing or offering for sale or rental;
o (b) distributing, whether or not for the purpose of trade;
o (c) communicating to the public by telecommunication; or
o (d) performing, or causing to be performed, in public.

All of which seems to say that making copies for private, personal use is not necessarily a breach of copyright law. So I guess it does come down to terms and conditions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.