Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renting in BC - What did you take?

Renting in BC - What did you take?

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

2ndChancers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting in BC - What did you take?

Hey All

It looks like for the first year in BC, we will be renting a place to live, just until we can grasp the areas etc.

Those who have done similar: What did you ship over?, What did you put into storage?, What did you dump?

R
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Renting in BC - What did you take?

hi
we shipped the house over to Vancouver Island thinking the houses would be bigger, in hindsight for here in Sidney I probably would have left the wardrobes, futons and kitchen electrical stuff (low power even with a transformer) we bought a coffee maker, kitchen aid mixer, toaster, kettle, iron etc when we got our rental - English equivalent is in the garage just waiting!!
We brought our beds and bedding with us plus extra bedding because the sizes are different.
where are you going to?
G.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

We came over with two suitcases each (so four in total), so as you can imagine, we mainly had clothes and shoes. We were looking for an unfirnished property and were prepared to buy the basics. Fortunately, the flat we found was partly furnished. Had a new bed, side tables, sofa and a coffee table. Oh, and built-in wardrobes and all white goods. The day we moved in, we went to IKEA and bought bedding, towels, plates, cups, cutlery, pots, pans, etc. Just the basics to last us until we shipped our stuff.
I then went back to the UK to sort our stuff. I still can't believe how much junk we had. Fortunately, throwing away was easy. My rule was - if I hadn't used something for 6 months, it got dumped (or sold, or taken to the charity shop). I've packed some boxes with household stuff (expensive bedding, towels, kitchen stuff, etc.) and some books. These we will be sent next week (courier). We're storing some books and that's probably it.
We're not shipping any furniture.

Last edited by foreigngirl; Jan 2nd 2013 at 7:58 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2ndChancers
Hey All

It looks like for the first year in BC, we will be renting a place to live, R
I also thought that we'd have to rent for a year minimum. The flat that we rented was also advertised for 12 months minimum (as most places). But I asked if we could sign the contract for 6 months and they said yes. So it's worth asking.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

2ndChancers is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic, any suggestions regarding books, CD and of course DVD's (we have nearly 1000)
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:56 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2ndChancers
Fantastic, any suggestions regarding books, CD and of course DVD's (we have nearly 1000)
A lot of music and movies I have now I have gotten in digital form, so decided recently to burn all my CD's to an external hard drive. I'm planning to burn all my DVDs too. I took the cd's to a local charity shop and that felt good as they will be able to make money and it then means less to cart over to Canada when we eventually make the move.

I have been through some other stuff recently and downsized and ebayed some stuff. Regards books I have been getting more through the iBook store and kindle store for my tablet, I know it's not the same has holding a book but it then makes packing alot easier
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

we brought all of our dvds etc with us, English tellys and dvd players work with a travel plug!
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:02 pm

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvmeboys
we brought all of our dvds etc with us, English tellys and dvd players work with a travel plug!
Do you have a games console, I was wondering if my PS3 will wok ok over there
?
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
?
Without knowing for certain (check the label on the plug for electrical rating) it should however if you buy a canadian videogame it will not work with your british console.

There is a way to resolve this by getting your PS3 'modded' but if you connect it to the web with a tracable mod it is possible for the PSN to shutdown your 'illegally adapted' console!

The electrical rating on the plug should read something like:

110~240
50~60 Htz

If the plug does not read the above you can make it work with the use of a transformer (not to be confused with a plug convertor)!

If the label reads like the above all you need is a plug convertor!
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:13 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of music and movies I have now I have gotten in digital form, so decided recently to burn all my CD's to an external hard drive. I'm planning to burn all my DVDs too. I took the cd's to a local charity shop and that felt good as they will be able to make money and it then means less to cart over to Canada when we eventually make the move.

I have been through some other stuff recently and downsized and ebayed some stuff. Regards books I have been getting more through the iBook store and kindle store for my tablet, I know it's not the same has holding a book but it then makes packing alot easier
+1 Books, music, movies, games - you can get it all off the internet (remember that you are only borrowing it though). I have all mine on an external harddrive along with all my photos.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

?
we did bring an old game cube thing for sentimental reasons but it wouldn't work!!
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Hawk13
+1 Books, music, movies, games - you can get it all off the internet (remember that you are only borrowing it though). I have all mine on an external harddrive along with all my photos.
Best way to go really as takes up less space and if you need to move or decorate then just the furniture and Tv etc to move
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
Without knowing for certain (check the label on the plug for electrical rating) it should however if you buy a canadian videogame it will not work with your british console.

There is a way to resolve this by getting your PS3 'modded' but if you connect it to the web with a tracable mod it is possible for the PSN to shutdown your 'illegally adapted' console!

The electrical rating on the plug should read something like:

110~240
50~60 Htz

If the plug does not read the above you can make it work with the use of a transformer (not to be confused with a plug convertor)!

If the label reads like the above all you need is a plug convertor!
Thanks ill check out the plug
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 9:58 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

another useful wiki link, there are a number of other ones relating to shipping etc

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compat...f_Goods-Canada
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 10:12 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Although burning CDs and DVDs to a hard drive is eminently sensible, it is usually illegal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.